Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering column universal joints?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering column universal joints?

I bought a Flaming River "universal billet" (FR1736) to join my GM rack & pinion to the Mercedes steering column, but there isn't enough range of movement in the FR unit to get to the Mercedes steering shaft.

The picture shows my still dirty engine compartment with a 1/4" socket bolted into the universal and a handle in the socket so I can see where things are pointing.

Any suggestions for a fix? Is there another manufacturer of steering universal joints, one that might have a larger range of movement??
Attached Thumbnails Steering column universal joints?-r-p-temp3.jpg  
Old 07-30-2006, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Borgeson is the main supplier,but I bet that is where FR gets theirs. But I would check anyway, they may have something else. Good Luck. You can find them on a goggle search.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have to put on more than one and include a carrier bearing. If you have too great an angle it may bind. I also seem to remember a flexible cable type of arrangement, but not sure if it was for steering or something else.

Pat
Old 07-30-2006, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Can you tilt the rack back some to help the angle? Woodward Steering makes some nice universal joints. Talk to Tony Woodward. He can give you all the specs on his UJ's.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe you need a double joint:
http://www.borgeson.com/doubleneedle.htm
Old 07-30-2006, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Default 3 joints

here is an example of 3 joints and a carrier that was used to get around headers you could do a version of this. no matter what you decide to do you will most likely need the carrier. I have used the intermediate shaft that was o.e for the rack and just extended it and that saved buying two joints but were you are joining mercedez to g.m. you may not have that option I also know a blacksmith that set his hot rod up by gas welding a length of 3/4 steel cable in and using the carrier to keep it in place But i have never been sure enough of my gas welding to do it. he heated the ends of the cables and brazed them then inserted them in the joint and brazed (welded) them together I really cant elaberate on it further than that but he did drive it for years.

[IMG][/IMG]

the carries is just a 3/4 '' heim joint

Last edited by ls67; 07-30-2006 at 04:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-30-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

This pic is of the steering shaft on my Monza and it adapts a pinto rack & pinion. You'll need a carrier bearing if you use three u joints. The are rod ends that are .757" for the 3/4 shaft.

Bill
Old 08-01-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Woodward steering has everything you need. I used their steering column with three u-joints (a double and a single) to get around things. Beautiful stuff, it's all the nascar guys use.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a double Borgeson along with three shafts on my '35 Ford to get around my LS1 engine. I also used two support bearings. At 9000 miles it's still smooth and trouble free.

Last edited by Oscar Will; 08-01-2006 at 04:18 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Launching!

According to Borgeson, "If your system requires the use of a support bearing, the vibration reducer MUST be used between the support bearing and the column." I can make a rag adapter if I can find the rag material. Anybody know where to get some? Is that something commercially available?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:43 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can get the rag joint material at just about any autoparts store. Just look in the "HELP" parts and you should be able to find rag joint repair kits are basically just a round disc of rag joint material and a couple bolts. I think the part number for the one kit is 3008, I don`t remember what it fits, but if I remember correctly that is the most common easy to find PN, I think ther are 3 or 4 different applications/PN`s.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mramay
I bought a Flaming River "universal billet" (FR1736) to join my GM rack & pinion to the Mercedes steering column, but there isn't enough range of movement in the FR unit to get to the Mercedes steering shaft.

The picture shows my still dirty engine compartment with a 1/4" socket bolted into the universal and a handle in the socket so I can see where things are pointing.

Any suggestions for a fix? Is there another manufacturer of steering universal joints, one that might have a larger range of movement??

I am a little confused on what is shown in your pic. If that is the end of your column showing that you are trying to hook to the rack, there is no universal joint available that will make that sharp a turn. Rotating the rack in it's mounting to make it point more directly at the column will help the most, but even if you get the vertical angle closer, you are still going to have a pretty steep horizontal angle. I believe that I would be looking for a rack that has an input shaft that enters the rack at an angle closer to 90 degrees. That is a pretty short distance, and a pretty big misalignment to overcome. Even though the joint shown will accept the angle shown in your pic, the actual reccomended angle that it should be run at is much less. I do not see anyway to get there without some serious rework of the steering rack and/or column.
Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I am a little confused on what is shown in your pic. If that is the end of your column showing that you are trying to hook to the rack, there is no universal joint available that will make that sharp a turn. Rotating the rack in it's mounting to make it point more directly at the column will help the most, but even if you get the vertical angle closer, you are still going to have a pretty steep horizontal angle. I believe that I would be looking for a rack that has an input shaft that enters the rack at an angle closer to 90 degrees. That is a pretty short distance, and a pretty big misalignment to overcome. Even though the joint shown will accept the angle shown in your pic, the actual reccomended angle that it should be run at is much less. I do not see anyway to get there without some serious rework of the steering rack and/or column.
Regards, John McGraw
John,
Flaming River (and others) have a double universal that they tout as able to handle 70 degree turns. I'm not very far off with the single universal that is on there so a double should do the deed. I'm also going to build a rag-adapter for the steering column to steering shaft to take up minor changes needed to reach a support bearing as well as provide some vibration isolation. The Flaming River universals are very well made devices and the Borgeson units use needle bearings for even better and smoother transmission of forces.

I'm thinking that a double Borgeson universal on the rack, a support bearing, and a rag adapter will take care this. The rack is bolted to a 1/4" thick steel plate that will be welded to the engine crossmember, so it's tough to change the rack angle. I could use the double universal from the rack to get to the frame rail, then a single universal to do final correction of angle as well as lessen the angle needed from the double.

Comments??

Quick Reply: Steering column universal joints?