Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for all third gen ls1 owners..

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default for all third gen ls1 owners..

Ok, this isn't about a swap. Basically, i have a 98 ls1 camaro with stock a/c system.

Im in need to either remove or relocate my a/c compressor in order to complete a project i'm involved. I REALLY, REALLY dont want to lose the a/c feature. Its actually not an option!!

Here is my idea, lets give it a brainstorm session.

I was searching around for a/c relocation and found a bracket that relocates the 3rd gen compressor onto a ls1. This is great!! It would seem that i found a a/c relocation kit that will work for an ls1.

However, i have two concerns. This is were i would need your help...The kit is design to use a 3rd gen compressor so either:

1) i could intergrate the 3rd gen compressor into my 4th gen a/c system. I believe i would need a set of different fittings to match the two systems.

Or

2) I could fab a way to use that kit to mount a 4th gen compressor or similar compressor, so that the fbodymotorports kit can work, and retain the use of my current a/c system.

Has anyone ever tried using a 4th gen compressor with the fbody motorports bracket? Does anyone if a 3rd gen compressor can be successfully intergrated into the 4th gen. a/c system. Or is there an aftermarket compressor, that has been used? Or why do we ask why first and not how or when... or maybe? Is it a way or structural formate of information gathering or a habit without conscious consent, an event that we have no control over?

No seriously, can this work? (please say yes!!!)
Old 08-17-2006, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I saw a street rod kit that offered a top mount plate for an LS1 compressor and thought it would work on my third gen car but I don't know about a thrid gen compressor(radial style) Seems like with some engineering prowness you could fab up something to work which is probably what I'll do. I can live with the manual steering if I decide to go that route but I WILL have A/C because I would very much like to street drive the car in comfort.... and on the gulf coast comfort IS A/C!! I wish I could remember where I saw that kit at......might have been in one of the five or so camaro/GM performance/tech magazines I seem to find in my mailbox every month!!
Old 08-17-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

is it the march performance kit? They have a ls1 serpentine kit relocates the alternator, compressor and adds a remote ps "resiv-magigy" thing. However, that costs about 1400.00 bucks and i would need 6-12 o'clock alternator and a new compressor.

kind of expensive and i really haven't seen it used so i dont know if there is an issues with that kit...
Old 08-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

shoot, I wouldn't spend $1400 for that kit of somebody ELSE paid for it!! I'll design my own brackets and take them to a machine shop before I spend that kind of cash. Seriously though, I'm sure there's a large amount of that stuff you can fab up yourself with a little time and logical thinking. I'll sit there a while, get out some metal and start cutting........ I can make ANYTHING work!! Well OK, not everything.......
Old 08-17-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check www.fbodymotorsports.com Last I check they had a conversion bracket that mounted your factory compressor in the original location up top and you could use your factory a/c lines
Old 08-17-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here, and this sig removal sig is freakin retarded lol
http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/inc/sdetail/12165
Old 08-17-2006, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Good luck buying from FBM....
Old 08-17-2006, 11:06 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If I read your first post correctly you want to move the A/C compressor on your 4th gen so that you have the room to fit something else there for your project. This project doesn`t happen to involve a set of truck exhaust manifolds does it . I think I might have an idea what will be occupying the space where the A/C compressor used to sit . Anyway I don`t think the 3rd gen compressor relocation kit would work. The 3rd gen compressor was designed for R12 refridgerant and the 4th gens use 134a, you could have custom lines made to get it to fit together but I don`t think it would be very efficient. I have not seen any relocation kits for LS1 compressors because of the way they mount. But John B made a relocation bracket for an LT1 b-body compressor that I think would work. http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/
I forget which months updates have the pics.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the F-bodymotorsports 3rd gen AC compressor brackets on my LS1 '84 T/A and I hate it.

The belt flaps around so much it looks like it's going to hop off the crank pulley each time I use it. Sqeaks, too, when on. The engine runs significantly worse when the A/C is on and even misfires. It's also getting trouble codes that say its running lean. I can't find a vacuum leak, I have adequate fuel pressure, etc and it runs fine when it's not on. only when I run the Ac is there a problem. (not to say I don't have another problem somewhere, but it "seems" like the AC is the culprit somehow) I'm very close to ripping the entire system out. But, that's the easy way out and I don't want to quite so fast like that. Besides, I love AC, especially in so cal and after spending the $$ on it like I did.

Also, the brackets weren't perfect. I had to file them down to clean them up and adjust the holes just to make them fit. It wans't perfect as I had hoped. And yes, it took a few weeks to receive. (in their defense, these are custom made upon order so at least there's a logical reason for the shipping delay)

The 3rd gen compressor is running R134, btw. The company that plumbed the system (Lucas Auto air) told me the compressor would work with either.

If anyone needs pics pm me and give me an email address to send to.

The company "street & Performance" has a variety of LS1 accessory brackets in their catalog. they may have something that locates your accessories where you may want them??

I hope this is helpful.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

thanks ya'll...

yes, ummm, there might be a set of truck manifolds in my future... but can ya'll keep a

well, thanks for the input. I was searching around and FINALLY found the s&p website... you would think its something like the name but NOOO... hotrodlane.cc COME-ON!!!! Anyways, yes, they seem to have a bunch of brackets that may be of use, so i think i might go that way... however, secet agent John over there, has a nice kit that im very much interested in and considering... keeping the wealth here on tech helps everyone out.

here is another question...

has one used a vetter PS assembly and had it fitted to a ls1 off a f-body?

Quick Reply: for all third gen ls1 owners..