Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Transmission Choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Question LS1 Transmission Choice

Im doing an ls1 swap here within the next 2 weeks or so in a certain car and was wanting to know wat tranny to go with. Im buying the motor by itself, and it comes with the painless wiring harness. I will be very money limited after purchasing the motor so i was wondering wat to do. Please keep the money part in mind.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you CAN put just about anything behind an LS1.....With the correct adapter / spacer, you can install pretty much any SBC or BBC trans.

You'll need to provide some more info as to what you'd like to do. Manual or Auto? What's the application? Usage? Budget remaining?

The 4L60E 4 speed auto is what you typically find behind auto LS1's. Sadly, they're not bulletproof (or even all that close). The other trans that you usually find behind LS1's is the T56 6 speed manual (built by Borg Warner / Tremec / whoever they're calling themselves this week). They go for more money than the 60E.

Other options include:
Powerglide (2 speed auto)
TH350 or TH400 (3 speed autos)
200R4 (4 speed auto used in Turbo Buicks and other applications)
700R4 (earlier version of the 4L60E)
4L80E (computer controlled HD 4speed (basically a TH400 with overdrive))
BW VelvetDrive marine transmission (single speed - Fwd/Neutral/Rev, if you're building a boat)

Manual choices would include Muncie & T10 4 speeds, T-5 5 speeds (which probably aren't strong enough) and some others. Many of these may present difficulties with clutch / flywheel / throwout bearing issues.

With enough money, I bet you could make just about anything work, but you already said you're on a tight budget.

'JustDreamin'
Old 10-30-2006, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Well im doing all of this myself with a friend, i want to use an automatic. Its being dropped into an rx7. The thing is the 4l60 uses the stock computer of the car, in my case i have the painless wiring harness so i dont know how that would integrate in?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go automatic unless you really, really have the ability or knowledge on how to fab up a bracket for the remote cylinder for the hydraulic clutch to attach to the clutch pedal on the T56 or other. Automatic = less pedals, less fabwork. You trade the fabrication for programming

With that said, there are different wires/setup for manual and auto. I don't think auto has 'skip shift' and other wires. There certainly must be information around here on how to hack an auto harness to be manual and vice-versa (try search or the "FAQ" sticky topic at the top of this forum first ).

4l60E should be fine, it's a decent tranny overall. If you need something beefier, you might consider the 4l80E that comes on the heavier duty trucks, I believe. I have heard some cynical GM ASE certified mechanics joke that the 4l60E is just a replacement for the 700R4, and just about as (un)reliable after some miles have been put on it
Old 10-30-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by shifty`
I have heard some cynical GM ASE certified mechanics joke that the 4l60E is just a replacement for the 700R4, and just about as (un)reliable after some miles have been put on it
Um....I don't know if you know this or not, but the 4L60E IS the 700R4.

Just happens to be an electronically managed version.

You should be able to run a 700R4 behind an LSx without too much difficulty.

'JustDreamin'
Old 10-30-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't see where the disputable/confusing information is in the part of my post you quoted. Are you reading it correctly?
Old 10-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Teching In

I have heard some cynical GM ASE certified mechanics joke that the 4l60E is just a replacement for the 700R4,
I believe that is what he is referring to.

I'd like to contradict to what Shifty's says about fabbing up a hyd. clutch setup. I by no means consider myself a fabricator, but I converted my car to a hyd. clutch (also a balance bar brake setup) fairly easily. Sure it required some cutting and welding, but it wasn't a big deal. IMO, nothing can come close to a manual trans.

BTW, Borg Warner is not the same as Tremec. Totally different companies. The rights to the T56 were sold to Tremec in '98 who then made improvements.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

you can put whatever transmission behind it that you want

cheapest and strongest route is a TH350
Old 10-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Teching In

I think the painless harness should have conections for a 4l60e, this is what I have been told. If you go with a TH350 or 400 you will need to use a different flex plate (flywheel). If you look around you can find some good deals. Be carefull witht he 4l60e, do not get one out of a S-10 as the 4 & 6 cylinder motor trans will not work on a V8 motor. You need to get a Trans form either a F-body or a truck.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wanted the manual and went with it. Unfortunately, creating the brackety is more fab work than welding in my case, and requires machining and a press brake to do it properly and a way that looks nice, fits well and looks right on my application.

If I would have went 4l60E, my project would have been on the street 5 months ago, and swap would have probably taken half as long becuase I would have been running around whackin my pud trying different ways to get my hydraulic cylinder mounted.

So, I agree that it's going to be worth it, but I disagree that it isn't a lot of fabwork. I've made at least 5 templates, three trips to the metal supermarket to pick up metal and have it bent in the past 5 months during lunchbreaks to make all this work...and I still don't have a working setup

YMMV. Maybe I just picked a harder vehicle to get this up and working on.

Originally Posted by Silver1969Camaro
I guess I'm a grammar **** and was looking more at being proper than clarity. Look at it like this:

I have heard some cynical GM ASE certified mechanics joke that the 4l60E [is] just about as (un)reliable after some miles have been put on it
Without establishing some kind of relationship between the two transmissions, it doesn't make as much sense. To me, it looks like that's being read into waaaay too much. The 4l60E might use the same bellhousing and chassis, but the internals are enhanced on the 4l60E over the 700R4. There was a huge debate about this on ls1.com forums over the past year or two (I forget). I can go dig up the article if there's genuine interest. I personally think I'm being a little nitpicked on here while just trying to be helpful though It's not like I'm spreading misinformation.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Im really considering the 350/400 i just dont have the money for a 6spd right now and i dont want to worry about a clutch as well, thanks for the idea guys.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:56 AM

Default agreed. the old vaccum modulated on the r4 is the same size and the electric shift se

Originally Posted by Silver1969Camaro

I'd like to contradict to what Shifty's says about fabbing up a hyd. clutch setup. I by no means consider myself a fabricator, but I converted my car to a hyd. clutch (also a balance bar brake setup) fairly easily. Sure it required some cutting and welding, but it wasn't a big deal. IMO, nothing can come close to a manual trans.

BTW, Borg Warner is not the same as Tremec. Totally different companies. The rights to the T56 were sold to Tremec in '98 who then made improvements.

And no the r4s and 350 turbo do not have the proper sylenoid or two wires. Ibpulled the whole shift modulated off. Nc I have two 4608 autos out Jere but I wanted a manual in my 83 SS...... Doing that today.. Abdbody can tell me which slave cylinder is the t5 2002 model using? Do I have to buy anotjeer whole center bearing.... And knowledge would be greatly accepted
Old 02-05-2016, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by turbo_passat
Im really considering the 350/400 i just dont have the money for a 6spd right now and i dont want to worry about a clutch as well, thanks for the idea guys.

I've got two different electric trans mm missions. One is the bug 5 SPD from a 2012 caddy. 20000 original miles
Originally Posted by BimmerLSX
This a 2002 Trans Am that I will be parting out. Car has 28k and was a one owner. The seats and Corsa exhaust have been sold. Car did have a Procharger but a few parts were damaged in the wreck and can be replaced. If your are serious and need parts please let me know. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2016, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Isn't this thread 10 years old?
Old 02-05-2016, 09:28 PM

Default No way to know. Its internal in the upper bell housing..

Originally Posted by reconhooah
And no the r4s and 350 turbo do not have the proper sylenoid or two wires. Ibpulled the whole shift modulated off. Nc I have two 4608 autos out Jere but I wanted a manual in my 83 SS...... Doing that today.. Abdbody can tell me which slave cylinder is the t5 2002 model using? Do I have to buy anotjeer whole center bearing.... And knowledge would be greatly accepted
There are 3 different types. One you have to buy the master cylinder reservoir and center bearing.... Im hoping mine only needs the slave cylinder. 33$

Quick Reply: LS1 Transmission Choice