Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I go efi or carb'd?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should I go efi or carb'd?

Well I had planned on making my ls1 mustang carb'd to save me some problems. But is the wiring really all that bad? Who can do the harness? I know someone in Texas has probably done it and could come help me out for some extra money. I'd just rather have a daily driver type of vehicle.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

EFI with a single plane intake.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cop Car
EFI with a single plane intake.
Yah I am thinking EFI with a vic jr efi setup. Will prolly run me about 1200 bucks though for everything
Old 11-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by I8URLS1
Yah I am thinking EFI with a vic jr efi setup. Will prolly run me about 1200 bucks though for everything
If you are going to run injection on a daily driver, why in the world would you not run the stock LS1 injection? Unless you have purchased an engine with no computer, no harness, no intake manifold, injectors or fuel rail. If you have a complete pullout with all the accessories, just drop it in and wire it up. The Gen III harnesses are very easy to work with and if you are really gun shy of wiring, LOTS of vendors will either modify your old harness or put together a new one.......
Old 11-16-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kwkenuf
If you are going to run injection on a daily driver, why in the world would you not run the stock LS1 injection? Unless you have purchased an engine with no computer, no harness, no intake manifold, injectors or fuel rail. If you have a complete pullout with all the accessories, just drop it in and wire it up. The Gen III harnesses are very easy to work with and if you are really gun shy of wiring, LOTS of vendors will either modify your old harness or put together a new one.......

Yeah I didn't get a harness but I am in the process of buying one right now. I would love for someone to just come wire it up for me where the car is at. I know there has to be someone in Texas who could help me out. Wiring is not my thing at all. I have an LS6 intake manifold with rails/injectors but plan to sell it and opt for the vic jr. It will be a radical daily driver setup at that. Plan to spray a 200-300 shot on it.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speartech will take a factory harness, rebuild it with all required fuses and other crap (cheaper places don't do this!) for $450 last I checked. I am seriously considering sending mine in to them for this. It is literally idiot proof, plug n play. It's hard to screw up the wiring - you just find one or two connectors that you know are supposed to click together, and the harness is pretty much shaped around the engine. I found the easiest thing to do was attach both of the injector bulkheads on either side of the fuel rail, then wire everything out from there.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by shifty`
Speartech will take a factory harness, rebuild it with all required fuses and other crap (cheaper places don't do this!) for $450 last I checked. I am seriously considering sending mine in to them for this. It is literally idiot proof, plug n play. It's hard to screw up the wiring - you just find one or two connectors that you know are supposed to click together, and the harness is pretty much shaped around the engine. I found the easiest thing to do was attach both of the injector bulkheads on either side of the fuel rail, then wire everything out from there.

I wonder if I sent in my mustang harness and my ls1 harness if it would be easier for them?
Old 11-16-2006, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

just use a stock harness... once VATS is deleted, and all sensors are working and hooked up the motor will start up, even if things are not pluged in (obviously it wont run with a crank sensor unplugged, but you get the idea)
Old 11-16-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

just use a stock harness... once VATS is deleted, and all sensors are working and hooked up the motor will start up, even if things are not pluged in (obviously it wont run with a crank sensor unplugged, but you get the idea)

I am purchasing a stock 98 harness but doesn't it have to be integrated with my mustang harness as well? Also if the harness doesn't have the obd2 connection to hook up the laptop where can I get that so we can tune my car.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 67 Tempest

Yeah I didn't get a harness but I am in the process of buying one right now. I would love for someone to just come wire it up for me where the car is at. I know there has to be someone in Texas who could help me out. Wiring is not my thing at all. I have an LS6 intake manifold with rails/injectors but plan to sell it and opt for the vic jr. It will be a radical daily driver setup at that. Plan to spray a 200-300 shot on it.
you could order a wiring harness from painless, it is about $700. If you don't want your ls6 intake i'll buy it.
by the way my car has the complete ls1, a4, radiator, puter,fans, system from the doner car.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mullenh
you could order a wiring harness from painless, it is about $700. If you don't want your ls6 intake i'll buy it.
by the way my car has the complete ls1, a4, radiator, puter,fans, system from the doner car.

Well I picked up a harness for $150 shipped. So I was just gonna have that wired in with my stock harness. I have a 4 row radiator so I was going to retain that. But I will probably have to get the A/C stuff from an f-body car. along with the power steering and alternator. If anyone has any brackets laying around for this stuff let me know.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am purchasing a stock 98 harness but doesn't it have to be integrated with my mustang harness as well? Also if the harness doesn't have the obd2 connection to hook up the laptop where can I get that so we can tune my car.
its basically only a 3 wire hookup...then just run wires for guages to sending units etc....
Old 11-16-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ss496
its basically only a 3 wire hookup...then just run wires for guages to sending units etc....

Wiring scares me silly lol... I am def not going to do the wiring. But if there is a write up on it I know people that can. So if someone could point me in the right direction or link me. And I have tried to search feature. I basially live on this board all day. Just haven't found anything.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's me build so far and my .02...

Mainly street driven using a 6sp and little track time I would go EFI.

Here's why I did not go EFI. I am mainly building a drag car but will see street time on the weekends. I am running a dual stage nos kit and am very familiar with holley 4150 style carbs (jetting/tuning). I am using the MSD-6010 box (not the edelbrock unit) which comes with all the software to setup my timing and retard for nitrous, etc.. But the main reason was final price.. Check it out..

Here's the basics you will need to go EFI
--------------------
LS6 Intake - $300
Injectors - $75-$100
Fuel Rails - $30
MAF Sensor - $100
Throttle Body - $125
Computer - $100
Wiring Harness - $150
Customer Wiring harness upgrade - $400
Custom Tuning - $400
Custom Air intake - $75
EFI Fuel Pump - $175

Here's the basics for Carb setup
---------------------
Victor Jr Intake - $275
MSD-6010 - $303
Proform Billet Race series 750 carb - $500
Jegs 4" Air filter with base and top - $40
Jegs Billet fuel pump w/regulator - $150

The choice is yours... EFI will give you alot better fuel economy, smoother running, accelerating, no power valve's and start on the 1st try. Carb is going to require tinkering, heavy exhaust smell when driving/idling, pumping the gas pedal a little here and there, loading up when driving at times.

Good luck and hope this helps!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vcious04

Here's why I did not go EFI. I am mainly building a drag car but will see street time on the weekends. I am running a dual stage nos kit and am very familiar with holley 4150 style carbs (jetting/tuning). I am using the MSD-6010 box (not the edelbrock unit) which comes with all the software to setup my timing and retard for nitrous, etc.. But the main reason was final price.. Check it out..

--------------------
LS6 Intake - $300
Injectors - $75-$100
Fuel Rails - $30
MAF Sensor - $100
Throttle Body - $125
Computer - $100
Wiring Harness - $150
Custom Tuning - $400
Custom Air intake - $75
EFI Fuel Pump - $175

---------------------
Victor Jr Intake - $275
MSD-6010 - $303

The choice is yours... EFI will give you alot better fuel economy, smoother running, accelerating, no power valve's and start on the 1st try. Carb is going to require tinkering, heavy exhaust smell when driving/idling, pumping the gas pedal a little here and there, loading up when driving at times.

Yeah I have figured all this out. But at 20 years old and having paid cash for every car I've had I don't see myself buying another daily driver anytime soon. Plus if I sell it with a Vic Jr efi setup I know it will net a lot more money . But I doubt I'll sell it unless it's to get a vette.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:37 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But if there is a write up on it I know people that can. So if someone could point me in the right direction or link me. And I have tried to search feature. I basially live on this board all day. Just haven't found anything.
Did you try checking the FAQ thread at the top of the forum? Specifically post 13. The wiring info is not a direct wire by wire hookup for the mustang, but it tells you everything about the LS1 side. If you have any more questions about the LS1 side I can probably answer them, but I don`t have diagrams for the mustang side so I`m kinda lost there.

EDIT:
For the OBD II connector you can either go buy one from GM and then buy the pins, or you can take the easy way out like most people and go to the junkyard and cut one out.

Last edited by G-Body; 11-16-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:43 AM
10 Second Club

you do not have to integrate anything. given spark and fuel an LS1 will run on a garage floor. just get power to lights and thats it.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vcious04

--------------------
LS6 Intake - $300
Injectors - $75-$100
Fuel Rails - $30
MAF Sensor - $100
Throttle Body - $125
Computer - $100
Wiring Harness - $150
Custom Tuning - $400
Custom Air intake - $75
EFI Fuel Pump - $175

---------------------
Victor Jr Intake - $275
MSD-6010 - $303

So what you are saying here is if a person gets a complete pull out engine with pcm and wiring harness the costs (-$905) are roughly equivalent......? And an even better deal if you don't go for the $800 in custom wiring harness and PCM programming. (Wait4Me will do the combo for $325, and you can knock off another $200 if you do the harness yourself) Also (and I don't mean to quibble) but you can get a good, inline fuel pump for around $100 or an in-tank Walbro for a little more.

Yes, I know, I know,.... I'm kinda biased..... (check sig). I removed the last carb from my fleet about 6 months ago... and I haven't looked back.... and now with the assistance of that other modern convenience "Ebay", I have a lot of "vintage" parts... carbs, distributors and other stuff to sell.....
Old 11-17-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

you do not have to integrate anything. given spark and fuel an LS1 will run on a garage floor. just get power to lights and thats it.

lights, windows, radio. how will all that **** works. and wiring in the a/c
Old 11-17-2006, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kwkenuf
So what you are saying here is if a person gets a complete pull out engine with pcm and wiring harness the costs (-$905) are roughly equivalent......? And an even better deal if you don't go for the $800 in custom wiring harness and PCM programming. (Wait4Me will do the combo for $325, and you can knock off another $200 if you do the harness yourself) Also (and I don't mean to quibble) but you can get a good, inline fuel pump for around $100 or an in-tank Walbro for a little more.

Yes, I know, I know,.... I'm kinda biased..... (check sig). I removed the last carb from my fleet about 6 months ago... and I haven't looked back.... and now with the assistance of that other modern convenience "Ebay", I have a lot of "vintage" parts... carbs, distributors and other stuff to sell.....

I can see where he is coming from though. Because either way I am going to run the Victor Jr. setup it was just a matter of whether it was going to be fuel injected or not. I'm building an easy 9 second setup so I'm gonna spend money either way. Just know the fule injection will be more efficient and less hassle in the long run.

Quick Reply: Should I go efi or carb'd?