Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

built a new exhaust for the 240

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default built a new exhaust for the 240

nothing special, but it fits much better than the flowmasters and doesn't drone like the turndowns. i can also now enter and exit my driveway without scraping .

just thought i'd share some driveway DIY.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 AM
TECH Regular

nice! NO resonators at all and just one muffler? is it hella loud or what?
(dont get me wrong either, loud is good, I like loud)
Old 11-28-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good man! Where did you get the y where you put the two pipes together? What muffler is that, guessing the one you ran when you had the SR20 in the car?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by owen v8litew8
nice! NO resonators at all and just one muffler? is it hella loud or what?
(dont get me wrong either, loud is good, I like loud)

it's actually not bad at all. it's loud by most people's standards... but under normal driving very mellow. when you jump on it of course it's got some bark, but not bad at all.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ted J
Looks good man! Where did you get the y where you put the two pipes together? What muffler is that, guessing the one you ran when you had the SR20 in the car?

the Y i ordered from summit, i believe it's magnaflow brand. the muffler is el-cheapo ebay special that was about $45 shipped. the exhaust i ran with the SR was sold off when i started the LS1 swap.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

lets see some video footage or atleast hear it!

-Matt
Old 11-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
lets see some video footage or atleast hear it!

-Matt

i'll get something up soon, maybe this evening.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by icantdrift
i'll get something up soon, maybe this evening.
WOOOO!!!

-Matt
Old 11-29-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

damnit ive been looking for a muffler just like that one.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Teching In

whats the diameter of the pipes? looks like 2 3 inch going into one 3 inch
Old 11-29-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great!
ditto on the camera footage.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rubin
whats the diameter of the pipes? looks like 2 3 inch going into one 3 inch

dual 2.5" into single 3".
Old 11-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gen3Benz
Looks great!
ditto on the camera footage.

thanks, i'll surely get some video soon when i can get out of work in daylight hours .
Old 11-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by icantdrift
dual 2.5" into single 3".
wont that cause a restriction though? Id increase it to at least 3.5

is there limited ground clearance?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Launching!

is there limited ground clearance?

only the dyno will tell i guess... but it's a basically stock LS1 so i wouldn't think the ehxaust would be the restriction here. i think the stock C5 manifolds are more of a restriction than this exhaust setup. but yes, there is pretty limited ground clearance. i will make a new exhaust later when more mods are done and i can build some headers for the car. it feels a good bit torquier with the single on it though, not sure of topend but i'll get it back to the dyno in the next few weeks to do some pulls to compare then tune.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Teching In

true.. great looking setup nonetheless. very clean and simple, I like how just looking at it youd think it was just a an average 240 with a ricer muffler
Old 11-30-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why would you want the extra weight and also less ground clearance of the 3.5" pipe when it's way overkill unless you are running ~900 or more crank horsepower?

According to Corkey Bell in his book called "Supercharged! Design, Testing and Installation of Supercharger Systems" on page 184 he has a graph that shows what different size exhaust pipe will flow for power. The graph shows that a single 2.5" pipe is good for around 500 HP and the single 3" is good for around 700 HP. The dual 2.5" pipes he has before the Y will flow okay for up to 900 HP and they will flow almost as much as a single 3.5" pipe which looks to be close to 925 or so HP on the graph.

I doubt that anything in his exhuast pipe is causing icantdrift any restriction. Like he said, it's the manifolds or maybe even the muffler causing some restriction but not the pipe size he's running IMHO. Since the muffler is way in the back it's also not going to restrict as much since the exhaust gas temps will have gone down some by then as well which will allow there to be less restriction in the muffler if it did restrict things any.

Last edited by Ted J; 11-30-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Why would you want the extra weight and also less ground clearance of the 3.5" pipe when it's way overkill unless you are running ~900 or more crank horsepower?

According to Corkey Bell in his book called "Supercharged! Design, Testing and Installation of Supercharger Systems" on page 184 he has a graph that shows what different size exhaust pipe will flow for power. The graph shows that a single 2.5" pipe is good for around 500 HP and the single 3" is good for around 700 HP. The dual 2.5" pipes he has before the Y will flow okay for up to 900 HP and they will flow almost as much as a single 3.5" pipe which looks to be close to 925 or so HP on the graph.

I doubt that anything in his exhuast pipe is causing icantdrift any restriction. Like he said, it's the manifolds or maybe even the muffler causing some restriction but not the pipe size he's running IMHO. Since the muffler is way in the back it's also not going to restrict as much since the exhaust gas temps will have gone down some by then as well which will allow there to be less restriction in the muffler if it did restrict things any.

the muffler is a typical straight through perforated core riceboy muffler . i don't see that being a restriction at all. like i said, the car definitely feels torquier than it did before with the ***-dyno but i don't have any numbers to back it up yet and that could also partially be attributed to having more miles on the new motor. judging by the gains most stockish vettes get from just a set of headers and decent exhaust the manifolds would be my biggest current restriction (these motors love equal length from what i read all over). i did cut out the biggest bottleneck in the stock manifolds above the collector when modifying them to fit the car so they may flow that much better than stockers.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure its not dual 2.5" for 500hp, dual 3" for 700hp?

Also, Burns Stainless sells a dual 2.5" to single 3.5" Y. I used it on my LS1 RX7 build with a Greddy 3.5" Evo2 cat-back.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Teching In

looks good man i like it gives me ideas for my swap

Quick Reply: built a new exhaust for the 240