Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

400sbc with my TPI or LS1/4l60e swap???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400sbc with my TPI or LS1/4l60e swap???

I have a 1992 Z28...finally! It has the stock 305 TPI/ 700r4
My questions are...
Which is cheaper?
Which is easier?
I would be using the TPI setup on the 400 and beefing up the 700r4.
On the other hand, I would be getting a complete drop out LS1 with all accesories and tranny, computer, wiring, etc...
Any thoughts?
I want to start digging this month.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Obviously the 400 would be easier and cheaper, but the LS1 would be faster get better gas mileage.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Launching!

you would be happier with the ls1,the 400 with a stock tpi will be restricted for air flow,you would need to upgrade runners,base and plenum.Not saying it wont work,itll run and have tons of torque but rpm limited.I swapped from a modified 360 tpi to a ls1 and ill never go back, ls1/6 from now on.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

ditto. Im going lq4 with my 92 but close enough. Drive a 4th gen with a good ls1 in it and you will get hooked
Old 01-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Teching In

So what if i bought a complete drop out unit from a truck and bored it out to make an ls1. Would the computer work from the truck and the wiring harness? Thanks for the replies. And also, the truck engines seem to have a different fuel system from what i have seen. Are these more restrictive than a regular LS1?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:45 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could buy a complete drop out iron block 5.3L from a truck and bore it out to a 5.7. But at that point you would probably be better off buying a 6.0L truck motor. Making the truck computer and harness work should not be a problem. However, if you buy a truck motor you will need to change to an f-body oil pan,pickup,windage tray,dipstick and dipstick tube, you will also have to watch out for the intake height and alternator height. Both are slightly higher than the hood, but if you run a cowl induction hood you should get everything to fit under the hood. If you don`t want to run a cowl hood you would have to switch to a car intake, injectors, fuel rail, and either build a new alternator bracket or switch to f-body accys.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

just stick an ls1 intake manifold on the 6.0 liter. You need f-body accessory brackets too. I havent gotten those yet. But im using a truck harness, and an lq4 in ls1 dress. everything else is the same for the most part
Old 01-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Teching In

OK, scratch the 400 idea. Is the LT1 a direct replacement with no modifications to my 1992. I know i can get those pretty cheap and upgrade rather cheaply too. And an LT1 would bolt up to 700r4. Please chime in. I am falling behind trying to decide which way to go. The problem is i only have about$7,500 so.....

1. Complete drop out LS1/tranny
2. LT1 and keep the 700r4
3. Complete drop out 6.0 truck engine/tranny

I know, so before anyone says it, i am going to paint the car with that money also. Otherwise i was going for the LS2 if it didn't need paint.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

well how much of that money is going to the motor? My swap should end up being around 2500~3000 net cost after i sell the tpi motor and 700r4. You are probably going for something more powerful than my plan. I just want a cam in mine for now. You can bolt up the 700r4 to the ls1 you just have to either get the adaptor or call up TCI and get a torque converter that will adapt it. But you also have to rig up something for the tv cable. lt1 swaps are much easier and cheaper... but i am just biased toward the LS design motors i guess.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:34 AM
Teching In

OK, i'm going LS1/4l60e. Hopefully can find the years that have the LS6? intake. Now for the important stuff...
Excluding engine and tranny and wiring stuff.
Can i get a list of parts i will need for this swap? I am buying those things first.
I need a k member and tranny crossmember...what else?
Thanks for your patience!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, you have a 400 at your disposial??? Don't scratch it off the list at all. Retain the TPI setup, just get rid of the intake. Go with a TPIS Mini ram or something similar. Beef up the 700R4 get some aluminum heads for the 400 if you don't already have them and run with it. I know it isn't a LS motor, but if you have a $7500 budget, it's gonna be tough to stay that way if you go with a LS motor because of headers and the exhaust and such along with the conversion of the harness. You might be able to do that yourself, but what about the rest of it. Think about it alittle more before jumping on it. If you want a LS motor then go for it, but if you are looking to play within your means IE a budget then don't write off the SBC. Get on thirdgen.org and ask around on there. Folks will tell you go LS, but I'm sure others will tell you the same I've told you here as well. Think about it and crunch some numbers. A good rule to follow when dealing with full on swaps for the first time(which is what you are doing with the LS motor) not replacements (Pretty much what a 400 would be) is take the amount of money you plan to spend on the swap once you compile a list and double it, because you are gonna forget something or you are gonna have to replace something you didn't foresee.

Also add subframes and such to the car if you haven't already. Also what size of rearend do you have. If it is the 7 5/8 it might not be a bad idea to upgrade that bad boy because reguardless of 400 SBC or LS motor if you stick a sticky tire on that car, you're gonna bust the rearend. Not much getting around that.

Quick Reply: 400sbc with my TPI or LS1/4l60e swap???