Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb vs Fuel Injection?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb vs Fuel Injection?

I've been reading this site for a while and I'm going to get ready to do my ls1 swap into a 1970 split bumper camaro.

What I was wondering was why do people put carbs on the ls1 when I thought the whole point in doing the ls1 swap was for the reliability of fuel injection?

Is there anything better or worse about using carb injection instead of fuel injection?

I'd like to use fuel injection but hooking up a carb system sounds way easier.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default carb vs efi

Originally Posted by Dstryr
I've been reading this site for a while and I'm going to get ready to do my ls1 swap into a 1970 split bumper camaro.

What I was wondering was why do people put carbs on the ls1 when I thought the whole point in doing the ls1 swap was for the reliability of fuel injection?

Is there anything better or worse about using carb injection instead of fuel injection?

I'd like to use fuel injection but hooking up a carb system sounds way easier.
You basically answered your own question. It is EASIER to put a carb on these motors then wire the fuel injection. The downside to the carb is worse gas mileage and not the ease of driveability with fuel injection. Alot of people take the easy way out with the carb, but be me, fuel injection is the way to go. I like being able to bump the key and it fire instead of having to pump the gas, choke it, fast idle it, etc, etc, etc.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Teching In

How much harder is it really to install the fuel injection? Just get the wiring harness done I presume?

If you were just going to run a carb motor why not just save money and get a normal 350 block?
Old 04-26-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

an aluminim LSx headed motor, makes more power than a normal 350, you would need aluminum heads, and a cam to = a lsx motor.

Personally, I would NEVER install a carb onto a LSx motor, but I do EFI tuning for a living, and hate carbs.

Ryan
Old 04-26-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Wiring up the LS1 EFI isn't hard. You can send your harness off to get reworked and idiot-proofed for probably less than the cost of a manifold and a good carb. If you can't hook up a Speartech-reworked harness, you'll probably also have problem hooking up a spark box and fuel pump for a carb'd LSX.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Default agreed

Originally Posted by Rodder
Wiring up the LS1 EFI isn't hard. You can send your harness off to get reworked and idiot-proofed for probably less than the cost of a manifold and a good carb. If you can't hook up a Speartech-reworked harness, you'll probably also have problem hooking up a spark box and fuel pump for a carb'd LSX.
I went the speartech route and it was money well spent. He has excellant tech support and does great work. I agree with rodder, it is cheaper to have a harness worked then buying the manifold, carb, and the msd to contorl the spark.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

I went with a carb set up on my LS1 conversion and wished I wouldn't have. I am pleased how good it runs, but the gas mileage is horrible! I plan on switching mine over to FI this winter.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Don't you have to run a special tank for efi or do you just need to run a return line?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:44 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The tank depends on what you are doing with the car. There are a at least a few people on here running their stock tank with an external pump and they added a place to feed the return line in. It seems like if they keep it over 1/4 tank they do not have problems with fuel slosh. You can also cut the stock tank top and put in a complete fuel sending unit/pump assembly from a LS1 f-body which negates the need for baffels.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Default tank

Originally Posted by gordz32
Don't you have to run a special tank for efi or do you just need to run a return line?
Mine is the stock tank with a sump welded in the bottom, a walbro 255 external pump, corvette regulator, and return going in through the stock pickup. The return is only about 2 ft long as the regulator is mounted by the tank and pump, so I have one line going to the front of the car. Hope this helps, Josh

Quick Reply: Carb vs Fuel Injection?