Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

240/LS1 swap questions and wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 240/LS1 swap questions and wiring

#1- what fluid do you use for powersteering? ATF? or nissan stuff or what?
#2- what fluid for Clutch master cylinder fluid? Dot 3? is that non synthetic?

First of all I've searched and no one has really came up with a good idea how tackle wiring.

i've got a 2000 trans am wiring pin out. and all the wiring that i think i need to do are:
- Pin 1 PCM Ground
- pin 19 ignition positive Voltage
- pin 20 battery positive voltage
- pin 40 PCM ground
- pin 42 Engine Fan relay 1 control
- pin 57 Battery positive voltage
- Pin 74 Engine Coolant Temp sensor signal
- Pin 80 Engine Coolant Temp sensor ground
Red connector
- Pin 1 PCM Ground
- Pin 10 Engine speed tach output
- Pin 20 vehicle speed sensor low
- Pin 21 Vehicle Speed Sensor Signal
- Pin 33 Engine Fan relay 2 and 3
- pin 40 PCM Ground
- Pin 50 Speed output circut

Is the Fuel pump hooked up still right now with the KA harness out of the car or no? or do i gotta run wires to that?

Thats all i got for the LS1 side. its going in a 97 240sx. and i can't seem to find a wiring diagram for a 97 240. I know the KA harness has 2 main plug ins one into the ECU and then the one that goes in a plug by the passenger side kickpanel i'd guess 40-50 wires in there. IF i cut that off the KA harness does that have all the wiring I need to wires i need to feed the LS1 wires into?
Someone point me in the right direction.

I should have the motor mounted in the car within the next week or 2. Waiting on my brother to finish the mount drawings on PRO Engineer.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT! thank you!
Old 05-15-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

the 240's use regular old ATF in the PS system
clutch is any brake fluid, dot3 is fine. doesnt really make a difference. its just used as a hydraulic fluid. doesnt need to have heat resistance like when its used in the brake system.

i think you are trying to over complicate the wiring too. ive never done it so i cant give you DIRECT advice but i do have a ******* ton of experience wiring 240's and i know the dash harness WAY too well hahaha.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:04 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can`t help with the 240 side, but I know the LS1 side. You are doing it the hard way by using the PCM pinout, check out the pinouts for the 5 connectors, c100, 101, 105, 220 , 230. or check out the wiring write-ups in post 13 of the FAQ sticky.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

this is a copy of a pm i sent.

"info on ls1 wires here . 1st post and with this download out of post 13. i had that covered.

i cut a few corner. finding the wires on the 240 is were i had a hard time. the only ones you need to find is the IGN, Starter and fuel pump (if i remember right). what i did was take a light test and put it on the pins on the side of the key (while turning the key on and off and starter, which ever i was looking for) and trace them back up under the dash and then i spliced into them there (for IGN and starter). for the fuel pump i relocated my battery to the trunk so i just ran a new wire to it. i only used 2 relays. one for fuel pump and one for fan. i used some extra relay out of the car that was used under the dash for something. they came out with the motor. if you use the nissan relays.
for the fuel. pin1: fuel wire on ls1. pin2: grnd. pin3: to the battery. pin5: to the pump. fan the same but reverse pins 1 and 2. the fan wire on the ls1 is a grnd not hot like the fuel pump. but i didnt hook up my fan cause i thought the fan was the same and by the time i found out the fan wire on the ls1 pcm was grnd and not hot the dyno guy turned them off so ill have to get them back on for them to work right now. i just hooked mine up the the ign for now. two things i didnt mess with is reverse light and the clutch switch (so car will only start with clutch in). those i cant help you with cause i didnt care about em. i hooked mine up to work. i didnt go all out. you could good a much better job very easily. nothing about it hard with the 2 links up there. that second link is a download in post #13 for 99-02 pinout. so if yours is a 98 you may wanna download the other one in post #13."

just make sure when you find the Ign wire on the 240 thats it hot during start and run. when you pulled your engine and harness out of your 240 you can put your battery back in (hot post will be the big white and red striped wires going to the big fuse box under the hood if i remember right) and everything on the car will work expect the wipers. the 240 + LS1 = easy wiring job. wiring is the least of your problems.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fouz65
the 240 + LS1 = easy wiring job. wiring is the least of your problems.
This is what i really wanted to hear.

<- natedawg's brother that will probably end up doing the wiring.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

mine is a 2000 ls1 set up with a 2k2 t56.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kamin
i think you are trying to over complicate the wiring too. ive never done it so i cant give you DIRECT advice but i do have a ******* ton of experience wiring 240's and i know the dash harness WAY too well hahaha.
Hey man, do you know where I can find the instrument cluster wiring diagram for a '91 240SX with the HUD cluster?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ted J
Hey man, do you know where I can find the instrument cluster wiring diagram for a '91 240SX with the HUD cluster?

Thanks!

it's the same, the HUD clusters just use a "sub harness" that plugs into the already existing harness even on non-HUD cars.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattmartindrift
it's the same, the HUD clusters just use a "sub harness" that plugs into the already existing harness even on non-HUD cars.
Cool, thanks man! I think I found the wiring for the cluster so I should be all good now.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Is anyone running a 4l60e in a 240....I would like to have a crusier...but unsure if the a4 will fit and work...plus I dont wanna have to deal with all the clutch conversion crap. Want it as a daily driver...no need for it to be 6sp. Just wondering...searched and really cant fund much about it.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

converting to manual is the least of your problems while doing a ls1-240sx swap.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

trust me...its not the work involved that I am worried about....its the fact that I dont want a manual. As you can see by my sig...building a hybrid LS1 swap isnt a worry for me. Just that I dont want a manual car...would rather have an auto for daily driving and put the 6sp in my S10
Old 05-17-2007, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

ya i just did my manuel conversion took around 2-3 hours fabbing everything and a few busted knuckles anyone else have any ideas on how to tackle wiring? or how they did it?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Teching In

i sent harness to a guy that does it for the rx7 guys. he charges 188 bucks but he also posted the instructions if you want to do it yourself. here's the link
http://www.swapcartech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26

there ends up being a small number of wires you have to hook up to the car(couple of power wires, tach, speedo, fan, temp, fuel pump relay, starter...maybe a couple more, can't remember them all. its in his writeup)I used the stock 240 harness plugs and wired into them. there's a plug on the 240 engine harness that goes to a connector under the pass kickpanel, F3 plug in the wiring diagram, that has tach, power, temp fuel pump. there's one from the engine room harness(the one that goes from the fuse box to the tranny, starter, etc) that i used for the starter, plug E201. to power that fuse box in the engine bay, you will need to take those two connectors that sit on the positive terminal going to your battery and power them. i just used that terminal and removed the wire going to the rest of the harness. that way i can still retain the connectors.

you don't have to use all the connectors like i did. i did it just in case something happens that i need to remove the ls1 harness its all plug and play. if you have any questions, feel free to hit me up. AIM=PXRdriFT
hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Teching In

oh yea, go here to download the fsm. wiring diagrams in the EL section

http://phatg20.net/modules.php?name=...ownload&cid=66
Old 05-18-2007, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Okay i finally found a F3 s14 pinout and have a few questions:

Pin 12: headlamp diode? whats this for?
pin 11: says fuel pump relay signal blk/pink is this what i need to tap into for for fuel pump add in a auto relay and some power and i'll be good on fuel pump?
pin 17: Red battery lead to ECCS relay? do i need this?
Pin 20, 21: GST ports? whats this?
Pin 22, 23: Consult port? whats this?
pin 30: orange Mil lamp? whats this?
pin 31: ASCD actuator power? whats this?

Sorry for all the questions.. but thanks for all the help. planning on dropping the motor in tomorrow!
Old 05-19-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

very nice find on that diagram.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by natedawg

Okay i finally found a F3 s14 pinout and have a few questions:

Pin 12: headlamp diode? whats this for?
pin 11: says fuel pump relay signal blk/pink is this what i need to tap into for for fuel pump add in a auto relay and some power andIi'll be good on fuel pump?
pin 17: Red battery lead to ECCS relay? do i need this?
Pin 20, 21: GST ports? whats this?
Pin 22, 23: Consult port? whats this?
pin 30: orange Mil lamp? whats this?
pin 31: ASCD actuator power? whats this?

Sorry for all the questions.. but thanks for all the help. planning on dropping the motor in tomorrow!
I've been using that diagram for the last month doing SR and RB swaps at work.

12: Dont worry about it.

11: Yes this is the fuel pump activation wire. It is a GROUND trigger wire! Applying a power, which is the GM design, will not work on the 240.
Fix - Permanently Ground the blk/pnk wire, and run the trigger to the other side of the control ciruit. So instead of a ground trigger you have a power trigger to close the relay.

17: You do not need the ECCS relays since you are using the LS1 ECM. The ECCS relays are to activate power to the stock KA ECU when key is turned on.

20, 21, 22, 23: GST and Consult port is a com port for the KA. Not needed for the LS1 ECM.

30: MIL lamp. Malfunction Indicator lamp. AKA Check engine light. Goes to the stock check engine light.

31 ASCD actuator: For the KA engine, not needed on the LS1.

The only thing you need the F3 plug for is the gauges, Wipers and fuel pump and that is all. All the rest are just junk you dont need or are not need.

So you'll want to use:

Tach
Speedo
Temp
Wipers
Cooling fan trigger

Hope that helps!
-Alex
Old 05-19-2007, 02:34 AM
Teching In

Remove Plugs from S14 Harness – Take the upper KA harness and strip down all wires between plugs F3, F7, and F9. Do not cut wires between them. Remove the F3 plug from the harness, leaving enough wire to solder on to. You should have just plugs F3, F7, and F9, all still wired together. Note the ground wires for F7 and F9 do not lead to the F3 plug. Cut it a distance away so you have room to ground it later. If wipers only work in full speed while the other speeds don't, check the ground. Find plug F27 and cut from wire, leave room to solder. Remove Plugs E17 and E20 from the lower engine harness.

Fuel Pump Relay - Connect Fuel Pump Relay wire from LS1 harness to Plug F3, black with pink stripe wire (See F3 Pinout Diagram). On Fuel Pump Relay (M4), cut wire going to Pin 1, black with white stripe, and ground it. There are two black with white stripe wires. Ensure you cut the wire that is across the relay from the black with pink stripe wire. Cap the other end going back into harness. M4 is located in driver’s kick panel.

Check Engine Light - Connect Check Engine Light wire from LS1 to Plug F3, orange wire.

Tachometer - Connect Tachometer wire from LS1 harness to Plug F3, yellow with red stripe wire.

Ignition Switch - Connect Ignition Switch wire from LS1 harness to Plug E17, black with yellow stripe. Connecting here still retains clutch cutout switch.
(Steve – This plug is in the engine bay. Don’t run this wire into the cabin like the RX7)

Starter - Connect heavy purple wire goes to the starter solenoid terminal.

Power 240sx Fuse Box - Connect E20 (2 Connectors) to battery. I utilized the positive terminal connector from the stock harness.

Speedo - if you are using the DD, you will connect the signal from the LS1 ecu to the box, then take E202 plug off the engine room harness. There's a red and yel/red stripe wire. Yel/Red goes to output 3 and red goes to ground. the ground signal on the DD MUST be to the ground on the ECU. Plug E202 to E19 and that will send signal to speedo.

That should get you going. I'll write up the fan wiring later if you need it. I utilized the cars relays to wire up the fan. No need to run new wires.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

wow alot of good info in here thanks guys! ya not sure how i wanna do fans yet. i was thinking about doing with the in the ls1 ecu then one on a switch inside the car so i use it if the car is just sitting at the race track or whatever.

Quick Reply: 240/LS1 swap questions and wiring