Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock fuel pump relay wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock starter relay wiring question

I'm using the '02 Camaro fuse block for my 240z / LS1 swap. I stripped out all the extra wires but now am confused where the green starter relay wire goes. There is a red main power to purple out to starter and that's straightforward. Then there is a yellow/black that goes to the PCM, but I'm now left with the remaining green wire I dont know where it goes. I'm thinking I can just ground the green wire to fire the starter but that seems too easy. I've bought a manual and it does not show this relay and I've searched but haven't come across it. Anyone know?

Thanks
Cameron

Last edited by Heavy85; 08-17-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What pin is the green wire on the PCM?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it goes to the fuel pump relay, it should put 12 volts to the relay when you turn on the ignition switch. It powers the relay so the relay can carry voltage, through a larger wire, to the fuel pump.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

That's my question - I dont now know where this green wire goes as it's cut and I lost track. The yellow/black goes to the PCM and it's on the other side of the relay coil. I'm assuming the green wire is just ground .... but then how do you tell the PCM to tell the yellow/black wire to send 12v to fire the starter relay ... or do you ground the green wire momentarily to fire the solenoid?

Again this is from an '02 Camaro donor but I cant seem to find wiring schematics that show this.

Thanks
Cameron
Old 08-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Bump - so anyone know how to tell the PCM to fire the starter relay? The schematics I've found dont show this part of the circuit. I'm using the factory '02 Z28 fuse block in my swap but can't seem to figure out how the starter circuit was wired from GM on the coil side (obviously the power side comes from the batter to the starter). Best I can tell the yellow/black goes to the PCM and the green is ground but .... then how to I tell the PCM to fire the solenoid?

Thanks
Cameron
Old 08-18-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

The pcm shouldn't tell the relay to fire. You should have the wire coming from the ignition switch for the start position, going through the crank fuse,PNP switch for the tranny or clutch pedal position switch, on to the relay for the starter. Ye/Bk wire is the starter enable relay control. Goes to the fuse block to actuate the starter relay. Don't know what pin for your case. You might want to get an Alldata account so you don't have to wait for days to get an answer. To me it was well worth it. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

After reading your post again, it looks like your yellow and black wire is already attached to the fuse box at the starter relay. The other end goes to your PNP switch or Clutch position switch or straight to the ignition switch via the crank fuse if you want to bypass the safety switches. There should be a ground wire coming from the relay as well.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eagleuh1
After reading your post again, it looks like your yellow and black wire is already attached to the fuse box at the starter relay. The other end goes to your PNP switch or Clutch position switch or straight to the ignition switch via the crank fuse if you want to bypass the safety switches. There should be a ground wire coming from the relay as well.
Exactly ... so again how to I tell the yl/blk wire from the PCM to fire the relay or do I just ground the relay to fire it and the PCM will provide power to the coil assuming the conditions are met (engine is not already running, oil pan has oil, etc)? I've bypassed the clutch/etc so the main power comes straight from the battery (fused of course).

Thanks
Cameron
Old 08-19-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well the wonderful site won't let me upload the diagram so....

the dark green wire gets power from the PNP switch or in your case the starter fuse (15 AMP fuse powered by the ign. switch)--> since you bypassed the safty switch. the --BCM-- yellow and black wire grounds the other side of the relay coil. this will make a magnetic field and pull the switched side of the relay making a path from the red ign. fuse wire (50 AMP) to --> the purple starter control wire. if you are not running a BCM then I guess you will need to either ground the yellow and black wire or bypass this whole setup and use your original ign. switch setup

Last edited by 89 formula350; 08-19-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your not running a BCM and VATs is disabled. YOu can bypass all that crap. Ground one side of the relay and run the other side to the ignition switch that's hot in start.

Re'
Old 08-21-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I skipped that part of the fuse block. My factory ignition system worked fine...so I just left turning the starter over up to my stock set up. Not real familiar with your car though, so maybe it wasnt that simple. My starter circuit was easily seperated and left intact from my main chassis harness.

I just felt that going through the relay was extra work that didnt need to be done. The stock set up was turning my starter over since 1987 without issue...so I figured it would work fine.

J.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info - I was thinking backward that the green was ground and the blk/yellow is 12V but in thinking about it it makes more sense the other way. Anyway this is going into a '72 240Z and before I just had a pushbutton start from the fuseblock to the starter. That's all gone now as I completely rewired and ditched the Datsun fuseblock. I was planning to use the Camaro starter stuff. I think I'll just skip it all and go back without the relay just straight from the fuseblock through the pushbutton to the starter.

Thanks
Cameron
Old 08-24-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

If your using the Camaro fuse block, it should have the starter relay on it. Run your ignition wire to it, ground the other side of the relay. The fuse block should power the relay throught the purple wire to the starter.

Quick Reply: Stock fuel pump relay wiring question