Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 questions

does any one know how to wire up the cruse control on a drive by wire 5.3?

what did you guys do to hook up your power streeing?

where can I get the plug in style tubes for the tranny fuild.

what are the (two of the same) brown plugs for that don't seem to go anywhere, they have 4 wires on the plug.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default 5.3 wiring?

Do you have the stock 5.3 Harness. If so, there will be a 16 pin plug that has the pins to run to your cruise control wires coming from your stalk on the column. This is the case for 2005 5.3 anyways. Cruise on wire, Acc/resume wire and Brake/cruise off wire.There should be a ground coming from the stalk that needs grounded in engine compartment also. I'll have to look my schematics later for wire colors. No idea on trnny fluid tubes, steering hoses. I believe the 2 plugs your talking about are o2 sensor plugs for in front of cat convertor. You'll need those.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

I just finished my 5.3 install in a 51 GMC, (this week) with drive by wire & a cruise control switch that I mounted under the dash. It works great!! I'll post the details after supper. I used factory tranny lines from the salvage & cut & flaired the opposite ends to connect either a AN or hard line to. As for the power steering hoses, Oreillys had a book with pictures of power steering hoses to look through. My steering box is a 84 Grand Prix so its metric also, same as the 5.3. If your box is metric, then should not a be a problem.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

now that my belly's full, attached is a picture of the switch I used. "Rostra Precision Controls" cruise control part # 250-3593. The following is based on my Speartech wire harness for a 2004 GMC p/u. John already had the cruise wires identified on the harness.
green wire from switch attaches to blue wire on harness (set)
yellow (resume/accell) to white wire on harness
brown (on/off) to grey wire on harness
red to 12V. (switched) with a 4 amp fuse
black to ground
pink (don't use)
blue (don't use).
The switch was about 35.00 from XXXX (am not sure if its OK to post the name & #). I can provide this info. but don't want to get in trouble. I talked to fellow at Rostra & he spit out the wiring info. faster than I could write. They were happy to help, & provided a distributers name & # on where to buy the switch.
I hope this helps ya (& others). This forum is great, I've learned alot on this site. Just finished my first LSX swap & its working great.
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 questions-cruise-buttons.jpg  
Old 07-06-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

plug C100, 16 pin on the 5.3 harness has the wires for cruise control. Pin A, dark blue, is the Set Coast signal, pin L, gray, is the Cruise on switch signal, and pin S, gray/black wire is the Cruise control Resume/accel signal. Pin D, dark green/white wire, is Vehicle speed signal.Depending on what your putting it in, there should be a plug going to the cruise module for your car. Jump these same wires from this plug to C100 on 5.3 harness.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

thanks
Old 07-29-2007, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

I just got a column from an 86 suburban with cruise control, does any one know which color wires do what for the cruise control, larrys project has got me far enough to know which ones from the 5.3 harness do what, so now its just whats on the other end.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone???
Old 07-31-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Should be the wires I told you in above post. GM generally didn't change much. I would look for the wire colors above, plus ground wire I believe. The wires coming from the switch on my 96 Blazer were the same color as on the 5.3 harness connector. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks

Quick Reply: 5.3 questions