Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering box CLEARS headers!!!!!! pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default steering box CLEARS headers!!!!!! pics

carlc was nice enopugh to send me a power steering box to see if it would clear my headers. i have stainless works headers for factory steering. alot of pepole have been complaining about there headers neeeding to be smacked with a hammer to clear a power box, so i have no idea what this box is out of. iroc? carlc should no. but it clears. only one spot is tight (about .030") but i would rather grind on the head a little (or swap bolt for allen head cap screw, just thought of that while typing) than smack my new headers around. in case anyone is wondering, im useing the car shop adapter plates with energy susp. poly mounts. any questions that this does not cover or any other veiws anyone would like please let me know, and i'll try to take a picture. so here's a few.

this is the two boxs side by side

this is the tight spot on the manual box, tons o' room

and hers the tight spot on the power box

and that is my new 6 week old son brewski (don't know how that got here)
Attached Thumbnails steering box CLEARS headers!!!!!! pics-diffbetweenmaualandpower.jpg   steering box CLEARS headers!!!!!! pics-clearance-manualbox.jpg   steering box CLEARS headers!!!!!! pics-clearance.jpg   steering box CLEARS headers!!!!!! pics-brewski.jpg  
Old 07-31-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like an 800 series Saginaw box. Came stock in everything from my 1967 chevelle to a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll probably want a bit more clearance than that. Even with stiff polyeurethane mounts your motor will move around some and it'll end up clearancing itself on that steering box while making a lot of racket.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks to Leon for the fitment trial.

So, in short, it fits! It appears that your mounting plates are similar to the Autocraft and ATS plates.

Leon, it would be helpful to post a picture and the Stainless Works part number of the installed header. Your design has a #3 tube that routes differently than Rybar's and there is a very high possibilty of confusion.

I wish I had a spare pitman arm for you to fit. I may be able to find a junker. I'll let you know ASAP.

Do you have a picture of the collector and how close it is to the floorboard?
Old 08-01-2007, 02:02 AM
TECH Resident

I remember reading a thread on here a year ago that the Carshop plates are copies of the S&P plates.

If you take the S&P plates and flip them upside down and put them on the wrong sides (may require some grinding?), then would be pretty close to the ATS-style plates (and Autokrafts appear to be a copy of the ATS plates). I think the ATS plates are thicker than the Carshop plates, so you might need run the backing plate under the ES poly mount that would normally be omitted with the ATS plates.

I think the ATS plates put the engine about an inch lower than the S&P plates, which can create some header clearance issues. I've only tried Hooker supercomps with my ATS-style plates, and I was making contact with the steering box in two places and the pitman arm in one.

Here's what a right-side Autokraft plate looks like when it's installed. Note the engine mount is upside down:

Old 08-01-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CarlC
Thanks to Leon for the fitment trial.

So, in short, it fits! It appears that your mounting plates are similar to the Autocraft and ATS plates.

Leon, it would be helpful to post a picture and the Stainless Works part number of the installed header. Your design has a #3 tube that routes differently than Rybar's and there is a very high possibilty of confusion.

I wish I had a spare pitman arm for you to fit. I may be able to find a junker. I'll let you know ASAP.

Do you have a picture of the collector and how close it is to the floorboard?

i'll take a picture later today, and is the pitman the same for power as manual? because i have the one on my o;d box. but does anyone have a middle header bow?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

Manual steering pitman arms are different than a PS one.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

guess im gonna have to find a pitman arm if im gonna try to use this. and a power steering pump!!!

hey carl here's those other pictures you asked for.

if the ats mounts put the motor lower than my car shop mounts you may have a problem with the headers hitting the box, imgoing to try useing a button head allen bolt and see how much better it clears, but that might not be for a coupple days.

driver header from the top

driver header from the side

this is a shot of the ground clearance from the pass side.

and you can see hear my trans pan is lower than the headers. so these tuck nice and tight.
Attached Thumbnails steering box CLEARS headers!!!!!! pics-drivheader2.jpg   steering box CLEARS headers!!!!!! pics-passclearance.jpg   steering box CLEARS headers!!!!!! pics-clearance.jpg   steering box CLEARS headers!!!!!! pics-drivheader.jpg  
Old 08-07-2007, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Leon,

Thanks for the pics.

If the header is moved aft and down, which may be the case using different mounts, will there be sufficient room to install the power steering hose on the inboard connector on the box? A top-view picture would help.

Also, do you have a measurement/picture of how far the rear of the engine if from the firewall?

Will you be able to use a stock type plug wire, or is a 90* needed for #5?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:12 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

are the headers 1 3/4? they look pretty beefy.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

carl im not sure wich mounts your using but this is what the car shop ones look like.

and heres a pic of the firewall clearance. tomorow i'll take a measure (its over a hundred right now). also tomorow i'll try one of the stock wires, i hadn't even thought of that.

Attached Thumbnails steering box CLEARS headers!!!!!! pics-adapter-mount.jpg   steering box CLEARS headers!!!!!! pics-mounts.jpg   steering box CLEARS headers!!!!!! pics-motor.jpg  
Old 08-07-2007, 06:44 PM
8 Second Club

what headers are those?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

they are stainless works part number CALS1SB . and they are 1 3/4"
Old 08-12-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

the number 5 plug wire sits right on the number 3 header tube, i have been looking and cant find a part number for a plug wire set that has a 90 on the ends. i thought the newer vette ones were 90 ? does anyone know?
Old 08-15-2007, 01:33 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

do you think they would last if they had some heat resistant sleeves on them?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

i dont know but , i see all these ls2 and ls3 drawings in magazines (not actual photos) and they have 90 deg. ends? yet every picture on like summit etc, is of generic wires , not even ls1 wires?
Old 08-19-2007, 08:44 AM
10 Second Club

man I'm learning a bunch.. I really don't want to convert my car to rack and pinion right away. I've been trying to figure out what headers will work with the stock steering box and this post is great.

I guess it going to take sometime to figure out what motor mounts and headers work together.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Leon,

Did you get a chance to measure the firewall distance?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

I have heard the ATS mounts mated with the Hooker plates will work for the Hooker LT's on first gens with the original Saginaw box.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

ahh, just put the headers upside down!!!! (*_*).

Quick Reply: steering box CLEARS headers!!!!!! pics