Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Intake on a 6.0L Truck engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Intake on a 6.0L Truck engine

I am wondering if an LS1 or LS2 intake will work on a 6.0L truck engine. How about wiring and computer?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Yes...it will work, but you'll need the LS1 fuel rails and a LS1 PCM. Everything should bolt right up. As far as the wiring harness is concerned, I'm not entirely sure. I think that you can splice the harness to work with the intake, but you may be better off getting a custom one made from a place like speartech.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Teching In

If you use the LS1 intake, You cant just reprogram the truck PCM?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:05 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by 1969NovaSS
If you use the LS1 intake, You cant just reprogram the truck PCM?
You can use a truck PCM. Are you running truck or f-body accessories? Also, the truck manifold out-flows an LS1 manifold, so unless the truck manifold doesn't fit under the hood, you'll be taking a step backwards with the LS1. If you want a good performance gain, do an LS6 manifold. You'll need LS1 injectors and pigtails, along with the LS1/LS6 fuel rails. Make sure you match returnless or return style rails to your fuel system. If you are running truck accessories. you'll have to grind off the idler pulley bracket and make your own, because it will be in the way of the throttle body. Also, the truck water pump will not work. Easiest way to take care of that is to buy a, f-body WP and remove the original pulley and have a truck pulley pressed on. If you're using f-body accessories you won't have to worry about it.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:08 PM
High on diesel fumes

If you're using all truck stuff, go over to performancetrucks.net and do a search for ls6 manifold swap. There are several threads that cover all of the necessary modifications.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Teching In

My plan is to install it into my 1967 Pontiac GTO. I have been on ebay and found LS1's, but they are out of my price range. I have 2 6.0L truck engines and thought about just getting an intake, harness and computer and putting them in. I also have a 6 speed from a 2000 Trans Am that I was going to use. I read in Hot Rod awhile ago that the 6.0L truck engine is the strongest block for use over 700HP. What do you think. Will this work or should I sell the 6.0L's and try something different. What is a 6.0L worth?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:21 AM
High on diesel fumes

A 6.0 longblock in good running condition is probably worth about 1500-1800. I think you're on the right track with the iron block though, most of the guys who are making big power swap to an iron block when they do motor builds. The only disadvantage is the weight, which isn't a huge deal at that power level unless you're really trying to eek out every last pound of weight savings.

Anyway, stay away from the LS1 intake manifold if you can. It flows and performs the worst out of all of the LSx factory manifolds. If the truck manifold fits, use that, or if you need a good low rise manifold go with the LS6 or if money is not a big issue, go with the FAST. The LS2 also looks like it would be a good deal. You also need to take into consideration what size throttle body you'll be using, as that will affect your intake manifold choice as well. Here's a thread we started over on the truck side that talks about intake manifold choice.

http://performancetrucks.net/forums/...d.php?t=397720

Is the stuff you have there from the truck complete? Like the PCM and harness and all of the engine accessories (alternator, p/s pump, water pump, etc etc)? If so, swapping over to a car manifold will require some extra work, as I said above. Here's a good thread about making a car manifold work on a truck engine/accessory setup.

http://performancetrucks.net/forums/...&highlight=ls6
Old 08-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

i did this to mine for hood clearance.

i ordered the new 2007 truck water pump with the angled outlet up on top cast in instead of that huge hose nipple the older ones have that gets in the way of the TB.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:31 AM
High on diesel fumes

Interesting, I haven't seen that. Did the w/p bolt right up?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Teching In

All that I have are the 2 engines and the trans. I do not have any wiring or accessories. I need alternator and power steering only. No A/C. That is why I asked about the intake and wiring harness.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:40 PM
High on diesel fumes

Gotcha...sounds like you'd be better off with the f-body accessories then, assuming they will all fit ok. If you do that it would be easier to find an f-body harness and PCM too, but you could make a truck harness and PCM work without doing much work to it.

Quick Reply: LS1 Intake on a 6.0L Truck engine