Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSI in 69 Camaro --- A/C mounting problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in 69 Camaro --- A/C mounting problems

I have a 69 Camaro and I'm putting a F body LS1 in it using ATS mounts. Needless to say there isn't any room for the A/C compressor......... I have a Sanden compresser from the Vintage Air Gen IV system I'm trying to make fit in the factory F body location. I don't want to run it up on the top. At sometime I want to turbocharge the car and it'll be in the way on the top. It has to go on the bottom. Notching the frame for me isn't a big deal to me.

What are my options.........

Lance

Last edited by Lance-W; 08-11-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Vintage Air sells a bracket to mount a Sanden compressor in the LS1 F body A/C compressor mount. I've got one on order for my Gen IV Vintage Air setup and it should be here next week. One thing to note is that they changed my compressor from the one normally shipped with a Gen IV system to one that can be used with this bracket. If you do use this bracket you will have to notch the stock subframe frame. I'm going with an Art Morrison subframe so the plan (hope?) is that it will bolt in without mods to the frame. The bracket costs around $100.

Don
Old 08-10-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Custom pulleys will work, Mark Stielow had this done to retain the stock F-body accerssory drive.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dhutton
Vintage Air sells a bracket to mount a Sanden compressor in the LS1 F body A/C compressor mount. I've got one on order for my Gen IV Vintage Air setup and it should be here next week. One thing to note is that they changed my compressor from the one normally shipped with a Gen IV system to one that can be used with this bracket. If you do use this bracket you will have to notch the stock subframe frame. I'm going with an Art Morrison subframe so the plan (hope?) is that it will bolt in without mods to the frame. The bracket costs around $100.

Don
I have the custom bracket. It's not even close. All it does is adapt the Sanden to the LS1. It does not solve the problem of putting it in a first gen sub-frame.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lance,
We did an LS1 into a 67, but didn't keep AC. The only thing you are going to be able to do if you can't move it up is work on the subframe. You may want to replace it with a tubular subframe, or, if you are a decent fabricator, you can notch and strengthen. There have been a few people on the forum that have made their own brackets to rotate the compressor, alternator, PS out of the way of various components. If you are pretty handy in the machine shop, you should be able to fab bracket to move the compressor out and up a little. You will want to figure out what lenghts of belt are easily available first, so you can coordinate the idler and tensioner for a standard length. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2007, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lance-W
I have the custom bracket. It's not even close. All it does is adapt the Sanden to the LS1. It does not solve the problem of putting it in a first gen sub-frame.
So does that mean that even with notching the frame will not work?
Is it any closer to the engine than the factory compressor would sit?

ChrisP
Old 08-11-2007, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

I'm guessing that with ATS mounts the amount of frame notching that will be required is significant. The BRP mounts place the engine higher and quite a bit more forward than the ATS mounts and they still require fabrication of a large pocket to fit the compressor. I don't think I've seen any pictures of the compressor in the stock LS1 F body location with anything other than the BRP mounts on a stock first gen subframe. This is one of the reasons I went with the Art Morrison subframe. It lets you mount the compressor in the stock location.

Don
Old 08-11-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I made a bracket out of angle iron to move my compressor in closer to the block, but i'm using truck accessories on my S10/ 5.3 conversion. The idler mounts to the front of the homemade bracket. Had to use a shorter belt as well. I'd say it moved it in 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I'll try and get picks soon.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

I have no problem notching the subframe to make it work, In fact I already cut it quite a bit but it's more of a problem with the motor mount and it's frame stand after you cut the subframe. With the "new" bracket ( Vintage Air / Steel-eez part number 141803-MCA) it basically puts it back in the same spot is was on the original LS1 brackets. All they have done with the adapter bracket is make the Sanden compressor fit in the 98-02 F body location. In that location the fittings are basically right next to if not under the motor mount frame stand when using the ATS mounting.

I've pretty much decided the only way I am going to get it to work is if I do like ATS/Stielow did on Camaro X and run another pulley in front of the dampener. That moves it about 2.25" forward so you now have room for the fittings and the cut into the subframe is not nearly as severe. Now all I have to do is find out where ATS/Stielow got the pulley that they bolted on the front of the dampener or if I'm going to have to make one.....
Old 08-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chrisp3
So does that mean that even with notching the frame will not work?
Is it any closer to the engine than the factory compressor would sit?

ChrisP
If anything I beleive it moves the axis of the compressor down with respect to where the stock one was making your cut into the subframe deeper.

Lance
Old 08-11-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Heres the best I can do for pics. I didn't take any of the bracket when I made it. Least not that I can find.

The top is held by a flat piece that bolts to the block with spacers and then to the front of the compressor. The bottom bracket is basically 2 pieces of angle iron welded edge to edge like c-channel. One side bolts to block, other to the compressor. At the front of this bracket, another short piece of angle with 2 nuts welded to back to bolt the tensioner pully to.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lance , I am currently in the same boat as you, I have a 67 chevelle with an 06 ls2 with corvette acc. I bought a compresssor (vint. air)and the mounting brackets and the comp. still had issues . I also cut the stock ac/tensioner bracket and compressor tabs and flipped the bottom bracket upside down but still it was throwing everything off, and it working was still questionable.I am not notching the frame or going the s&p route. after getting some advice on this site and reading hot rod mag. from a few months ago ( ls7 conversion)I called ati for a price on a new damper with the ac pulley foward of the damper ($480 approx) therefore moving the comp foward and ill have to make my own ac comp bracket .thats where I stand now. im not letting the ac system run the whole show under the hood.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by john 67
Lance , I am currently in the same boat as you, I have a 67 chevelle with an 06 ls2 with corvette acc. I bought a compresssor (vint. air)and the mounting brackets and the comp. still had issues . I also cut the stock ac/tensioner bracket and compressor tabs and flipped the bottom bracket upside down but still it was throwing everything off, and it working was still questionable.I am not notching the frame or going the s&p route. after getting some advice on this site and reading hot rod mag. from a few months ago ( ls7 conversion)I called ati for a price on a new damper with the ac pulley foward of the damper ($480 approx) therefore moving the comp foward and ill have to make my own ac comp bracket .thats where I stand now. im not letting the ac system run the whole show under the hood.
Misery loves company

You're one step ahead of me by having already talked to ATI. So they were making a custom balancer for the $480? That seems like a good deal considering that their off the shelf stuff is almost that much. Did they have a part number or did you get the impression that is was a one at a time build type thing? As far as making brackets...Yep it won't be the first time I've had to make a bracket to get an accessory to work I even with the forward of the dampener belt would still have to notch the frame on the Camaro a bit. Nothing like if I tried to put it in the factory location though.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lance-W
I have no problem notching the subframe to make it work, In fact I already cut it quite a bit but it's more of a problem with the motor mount and it's frame stand after you cut the subframe. With the "new" bracket ( Vintage Air / Steel-eez part number 141803-MCA) it basically puts it back in the same spot is was on the original LS1 brackets. All they have done with the adapter bracket is make the Sanden compressor fit in the 98-02 F body location. In that location the fittings are basically right next to if not under the motor mount frame stand when using the ATS mounting.

I've pretty much decided the only way I am going to get it to work is if I do like ATS/Stielow did on Camaro X and run another pulley in front of the dampener. That moves it about 2.25" forward so you now have room for the fittings and the cut into the subframe is not nearly as severe. Now all I have to do is find out where ATS/Stielow got the pulley that they bolted on the front of the dampener or if I'm going to have to make one.....
Vintage Air substituted a different compressor on my order to go with the LS1 bracket. The compressor part number is 047002-MUR. Do you know the part number of your compressor? I'm getting a little worried that I might also have a problem with the fittings.

Thanks,
Don
Old 08-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

The part number on mine is the same. 047002-MUR or the Sanden part number is 6628 rear exit multi-groove. I've seen a couple of pictures on the net showing compressors with exits out the side of the main body. If you could get them to swap the rear exit for one of the side exits I think it would make your life easier. I would try and get them to swap mine but I already "modified" it
Old 08-12-2007, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

These pics of the GM compressor in the Art Morrison subframe show that there may be some hope for my install:
Attached Thumbnails LSI in 69 Camaro ---  A/C mounting problems-mg_4387_sized.jpg   LSI in 69 Camaro ---  A/C mounting problems-mg_4389_sized.jpg  

Last edited by dhutton; 08-12-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Here's the comparison side by side. 2002 Camaro SS compressor and the Sanden 6628.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they gave me part # 917246 for a "y" body ( corvette )i think the guys name was jim . im not sure if that # would be the same in your case but call them and check.and he didnt seem too sure himself, and it was $489 . also i really dont know why we have to use a rear exit compressor , vint air makes rear side exit compressors .im staring at it in the catalog, it looks good to me JOHN
Old 08-12-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think its a stock damper with a pulley added to it ,not positive though .JOHN
Old 08-12-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and one more thing .im really pissed because i cut a tab on the compressor like they said to do ,so now i own it and i dont know if ill get itto work without that tab.so dont cut until you are sure or you too will have a nice anchor

Quick Reply: LSI in 69 Camaro --- A/C mounting problems