Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converting from 3-wire MAF to 5-wire MAF???

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default converting from 3-wire MAF to 5-wire MAF???

in my swap im using a harness from an '02 Fbody, has anyone converted to the 5wire Mass Air Flow? is it worth the hassle(obviously more airflow due to the larger size housing), do i need to have the PCM programmed specifically for this? any other input/info???
Old 08-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought swapping to the 5 wire was because it has the intake air temp sensor built in. Hence the two extra wires. Of course the size is a good thing too. And I wanna say that you will have to have the PCM programmed to match.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

the integrated IAT is also a plus, seeing how my dropout was missing the MAF and the connectors were torn off i figured id upgrade
Old 08-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Launching!

I'm doing the same thing to my '02 harness, so any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. I've heard that you have to reprogram the MAF table in the ECM for the MAF you are using. In my case that would be an '02 Z06, I think.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

thats what i figured, i was gonna get a "mail-order-tune" to get the car going, but i might try and tune it myself...
Old 08-21-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was considering this swap also. I have a 99' LS1 and swapping in a LS6 intake, what 5-wire unit can I use ? Years / models ?

thanks
Old 08-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Launching!

The car i have (63 nova) was already swapped when I purchased it. It has the 5 wire MAF with an aftermarket harness. I do believe that some mods had to be done to the harness to make it work. I can get pictures if someone is interested. Let me know,
Jamin
Old 08-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 5-wire would be a good thing from a performance standpoint as it is 85 mm vs 75 mm for the 3-wire. I don't know if the integrated IAT is all that great, though. I have an LS2 GTO that comes with the larger MAF, and many GTO people get a separate IAT and harness to wire it. My car has this done. The MAF on the GTO is right next to a radiator tank, so it gets heat soaked very easily. This is a problem, especially on the LS2, because the PCM pulls timing based on IAT. On the GTO it pulled enough to make the car noticeably sluggish. Of course, if your MAF is not located in such a hot area, this won't be such a big deal. Really all you need is the new connector. You just integrate the IAT wires in to the MAF connector. It's the same five wires whether or not they go just to the MAF or to a MAF and IAT.

At the same time, if you have the ability to program the car yourself, I'd say just ditch the MAF altogether. The car will run fine without it, provided it's tuned correctly. If the engine is stock, the car should run perfectly without it; all it will do is throw a code.

The easiest 85 mm MAF to find would be out of a 99+ truck of SUV. All the V8's have them, for sure. As far as I know it is the same as the MAF used on the 01+ Vettes, etc. The only exception is the 02+ C5 Z06 MAF came without the screen, which could easily removed from any of the other MAFs. Unless you have a very straight intake tract, like the Vette, it's probably best to leave the screen in, as it straightens the air flow to make the sensor read more accurately. You'll also have to reprogram the MAF table for an 85 mm to make this work right.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Launching!

I was wondering if it was as easy as getting the new connector and putting all the wires into it. I guess so. The only part, it seems, is to get the computer reprogrammed, which I plan to do through a mail-order service as well.

Quick Reply: converting from 3-wire MAF to 5-wire MAF???