Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 Nova LS1: Donor vs. engine/tranny only

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 66 Nova LS1: Donor vs. engine/tranny only

For those who have experience w/ an LSX install, would you recommend trying to find a donor car (I plan to reuse the gas tank, radiator, and possibly instrument cluster as well as anything else I can) or purchase a good engine/tranny from a reseller w/ basic warranty w/ wiring & all accessories? I want an LS1 w/ T-56 6-spd tranny.
I don't really have a place to store an extra car, but if there's a lot of savings in going w/ the donor car then I could manage for a short time. I just don't want to get nickel and dimed to death for things that would be included w/ a donor car.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 09-10-2007, 05:21 AM
Launching!

How far do you want to go with the project?
You can buy a stand alone harness with a reprogrammed PCM, new tank with the electric fuel pump and engine and trans mounts. Then you will need a drive shaft, radiator and exhaust made. Trans tunnel will need to be modified......I had thought about doing the whole donor routine...would be cool.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Personally, I'm going with a donor for the specific purpose of cost savings. I've been able to find a few decently priced cars in the area, just not the "perfect" car yet. I'm simply playing the waiting game until it comes up.
My parts list I plan on reusing are steering column, dash, seats, console, entire braking system, seat belts, radiator, steering rack, BCM, PCM, and harness, in addition to the engine and trans. There is no way that I'd be able to purchase these components individually for what I'd be able to find a wrecked vehicle for.

I'll already be money ahead to go with the donor, so anything I get out of parting it out will be an added bonus.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67pete
How far do you want to go with the project?
You can buy a stand alone harness with a reprogrammed PCM, new tank with the electric fuel pump and engine and trans mounts. Then you will need a drive shaft, radiator and exhaust made. Trans tunnel will need to be modified......I had thought about doing the whole donor routine...would be cool.
I am interested in doing exactly as you mentioned on preferably a 66 or 67 Chevy II, but may choose a 62-65, not quite sure yet. Could you tell me where I could buy the stand alone harness with a reprogrammed PCM, new tank with the electric fuel pump and engine and trans mounts? Do you know where I can find the info on modifying the transmission tunnel? Would I have to make any changes to the firewall? I want A/C, how difficult would this be?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-11-2007, 04:21 AM
Launching!

Chris here's a start for you' will try and get some pictures up soon.

Harness:
http://www.speartech.com/
http://www.painlessperformance.com/index.php

Gas tank:
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000132A

Trans mount:
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/p...17AD51680&trk=

Eng mount:
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/h...hid=613AA79244
Old 09-11-2007, 06:07 AM
Launching!

Tunnel will need to be expanded and the shifter hole relocated. 2nd photo is the notch for the stock '99 Camaro A/C mount....
Attached Thumbnails 66 Nova LS1: Donor vs. engine/tranny only-nova-shifter-pic-8_2007-011a.jpg   66 Nova LS1: Donor vs. engine/tranny only-nova-ac-notch-pic-8_2007-017a.jpg  
Old 09-11-2007, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks! I noticed that you changed to the Heidts front end, is this necessary for the conversion, or just your preference? What about the firewall, any modification required there?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-12-2007, 04:54 AM
Launching!

Just my preference, as this car is meant for driving...with that said it does provide more room in the engine compartment.

The only part of the firewall I modified was for the hydraulic clutch master cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails 66 Nova LS1: Donor vs. engine/tranny only-nova-pix-001a.jpg  
Old 09-12-2007, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

get the whole car I wish I had.
but the corvette suspension under my 66 sure does handle nice.

Quick Reply: 66 Nova LS1: Donor vs. engine/tranny only