Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 in 94 z28

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 in 94 z28

sometime within in the year im planning on putting a low millage (not knew) ls1 and tranny in my 94 z28. i know the motor mounts and computer are diffrent (hooping to get the ecm with the motor) but what else needs to be changed? radiator etc. [ i did a search and couldn't find what i was looking for.) any pics would be use full too. thanks
Old 10-05-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/793996-few-pics-ls1-going-into-my-95-z.html

You will need ls1 kmember, steering rack, steering linkage, engine, tranny, computer, harness, you can reuse stock radiator(actually cools better), if you use auto tranny keep your lt1 crossmember and modify it. Let me know of any particular questions you have
Old 10-05-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I short... You need everything. You can use your fuel tank (with a pump change) and current LT1 gauges though.

Re'
Old 10-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Banned

sounds like it will be a fun project ahead of me
Old 10-07-2007, 02:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
I short... You need everything. You can use your fuel tank (with a pump change) and current LT1 gauges though.

Re'
I used my stock fuel system and just put on a 97 vette fuel rail that has a return line. Everything works fine, never any problem.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

what about a manual trans (i have a4) would i have to do anything else (gears drive shaft?)
Old 10-07-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

depends on what gears you have in there now. Get some 4.11s I am not sure about the rest of the t56 setup because i didnt do it. Shouldnt be too hard at all though
Old 10-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Banned

how long did it take u to do. i decided to wait untill next summer to do it, but i figure the more i know now the better. what did u do for the motor mounts (they are diffrent arnt they?) did u fab them urself or by it somewhere
Old 10-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Banned

?????
Old 10-08-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

I used a ls1 kmember and ls1 motor mounts
Old 10-09-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaro-94-z28
what about a manual trans (i have a4) would i have to do anything else (gears drive shaft?)
Your current A4 will not work with the LS1 without an expensive flex plate and converter. Your current gears and driveshaft are fine.

I used my stock fuel system and just put on a 97 vette fuel rail that has a return line. Everything works fine, never any problem.
Yup...That's the easiest thing to do, but 97 Vette fuel rails are hard to find and expensive when you find them.

If you are still using your stock LT1 fuel pump, I would change it for something that flows more. It is extremely boarderline at being able to supply enough power. My swap only has headers and a mild cam, and before I installed my new pump I was running lean on the top end from not enough fuel.

what did u do for the motor mounts (they are diffrent arnt they?) did u fab them urself or by it somewhere
You have to use the LS1 motor mounts and brackets. You will also need an LS1 K member or redrill the motor mount bracket holes in the LT1 K member you have.

Re'
Old 10-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Banned

i was hooping to get motor and trans together. (lookin for wrecked car or ebay) i figure the wrecked car would have almost everything i need
Old 10-12-2007, 12:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I'm going 94' A4 V6 to LS1 6speed. You'll have the issue with the fuel return... you can go 98' vette rails, I did Aeromotive rails + regulator, and tapped into the hard lines under the driver with adaptor and/or flares and tube nuts. For the tranny, you'll need an LT1 6speed crossmember, NOT an LS1 crossmember (the bolts on the body are in a different location than an LS1 car, but at the same spot for the tranny. Stick with your body style for cossmembers just get the right standard or auto crossmember.) You'll have to cut the hole in the tunel for the shifter and a hole for your clutch master cylinder behind the pedals on the bottom driver side of the firewall. Obviously, look for some 6speed pedals, all this assuming you DO go 6 speed. I had an LS1 harness modified by Speartech (a sponsor) to plug and play with my body harness, so no wiring mess. Left my AC as is, (not running yet, so we'll see) but will try and adapt to use the LS1 compressor. I replaced my radiator for an LS1 radiator, but..... you have an LT1, whereas I had a 3.4 V6, you may not have to. I have a stock V6 Mickey Mouse single cooling fan. I'm leaving it for the time being, but realize that this is only temporary, a real fan setup, wheather its stock LS1 or aftermarket will have to be done. Also your air intake setup will be a BITCH. If you put an LS1 airbox in, your hood wont come even 4inches from even catching the latch, so you'll still be using your radiator support (a front end LS1 conversion would eliminate this intake ****, i went the hard way so i hope u do to.). You've got to get air from the stock location, I'm using an LT1 1LE 90degree hose that's oval shapped, so I SHOVED it over the LS1's round throttle body. The other end is round so the MAF will fit easier. Also, I stongly suggest you get an ABS delete block. This will make routing whatever type of cold air intake you do ALOT easier. The K&N LT1 intake can be made to work with out removing the ABS, but whatever kind of intake you end up doing (even K&N) its alot easier with the ABS module GONE. Thats all off the top of my head, let me know if you have any questions.
PS... I'm currently at $7000+, but I did alot of extras (cam, fuel system, LS6 intake and valley cover, throttle body, eletric water pump, long tubes etc....). But be forwarned, it get's expensive, and for many, its a better idea to just by an LS1 car. I'm still happy with what I've done though. So, good luck.

Quick Reply: ls1 in 94 z28