Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96+ S10 LS1 guys - passing the OBD2 Inspections?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96+ S10 LS1 guys - passing the OBD2 Inspections?

How do you LS1 guys pass the plugin inspection in the 96+ trucks?

I want to do an LS1/T56 S10 bad, but finding a 94-95 4.3L, 5spd extended cab S10 is quite the chore.

If I can pass the plugin inspection using a 96+ truck, that'd make things a lot easier. I know plenty of inspectors who'll let me get around visual, but how are you guys passing the computer test?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

No need to hunt for a six cylinder a four cylinder truck will do just as well and are usually cheaper. Cant help you on the emissions around here if the horn wipers and lights work you are good. By the letter of the law if they have emissions testing. All of the equipment from the donor must be present and no emission mil cods. Just tune out the codes and install the emission equipment and you are fine. It also must be from a newer model vehicle go figure, and from a truck but that can all be taken care of with a truck vin and car programming since it will need a custom tune anyway. Hope this helps
Old 10-09-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's relatively easy to get through OBD2 in TX.

Engine has to be same year or newer than the truck.
All emissions equipment must be present.
No codes present
Readiness flags must be on.
Gas cap must not leak.

It also "helps" if it looks like the factory did it.

Went through it 4 times (years) with one conversion. Will have to do it again with the next one.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Putting a LS1 in a OBD II truck is totally legal. The EPA says you can swap a newer engine into ANY vehicle as long as all of its emissions equipment is operational. So it will pass the plug in test fine as long as you have not deleted any codes for Air, EGR or O2 sensors.

Re'
Old 10-09-2007, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

this vehicle inspection stuff is retarded.. We dont have it here and I sure am glad..So what happens if you dont pass?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in WI, if the vehicle is OBD II and it passes the readiness moniter test, the MIL is not commanded on, and the gas cap seals, you pass for two years!!! You could have 8 monkeys under the hood pouring gas into the ports to make it run and as long as the MIL is not on and readiness moniters are set, it passes!! No visual, nothing!!!!
I lived in AZ(Phoenix area) for several years, and they were the same when it came to OBD II testing!!!

Good luck!!!

Mike

Last edited by schwoch1; 10-09-2007 at 11:17 PM. Reason: correcting my crappy grammer!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Same here in Tx as long as the codes are deleted so it will not flag a mil it will pass.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bottlefed98
this vehicle inspection stuff is retarded.. We dont have it here and I sure am glad..So what happens if you dont pass?

We have no clue where you are because your profile information is blank.

But the consequences are possible fines if you are pulled over and don't have a current inspection sticker. Plus, an expired or missing sticker provides LEO's with a valid reason for a vehicle stop.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Putting a LS1 in a OBD II truck is totally legal. The EPA says you can swap a newer engine into ANY vehicle as long as all of its emissions equipment is operational. So it will pass the plug in test fine as long as you have not deleted any codes for Air, EGR or O2 sensors.

Re'
Close, but not entirely accurate. The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

Some states have also said that the engine must be of the same family as the vehicle. In other words, a car engine can't be used in a Truck and vice/versa

They also check for "readiness" OK's in the computer. If some of the emissions systems show "not ready" it won't pass.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

When the truck is plugged in to be inspected, will the computer think it's reading a 2002 S10 (the truck), or a 2002 Trans Am(the donor car)?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

It depends on the base program in the PCM. It will show the donor program that's in the computer.
I believe that some programmers (no handheld programmers) can also change the vehicle description.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
When the truck is plugged in to be inspected, will the computer think it's reading a 2002 S10 (the truck), or a 2002 Trans Am(the donor car)?
There are a few folks that can manipulate the computer any way you need it including the VIN # now, I'm gonna say this. Check your DMV NOW on this. I have had a hellva time getting my 2000 S10 inspected in Maryland. I've had the truck together for 2 years and can't get it inspected. The reason is that in Maryland the law states that the truck must have all the emissions crap on it that it came with from the factory. Well, being I used to be military I was stationed in Arizona when I bought the truck. It didn't have an AIR pump on it, so I didn't put one on the truck. Well, went to get the truck inspected they now claim that the truck needs the pump because of the different emissions blah blah blah. They also wouldn't pass it because I have a dual exhaust on it. In MD that is totally illegal. They also hit me up because the truck has dual cats on it. WTF am I supposed to do about that. Fail the visual or Fail the OBD II. Different states have different laws, so figure out what your laws are and go from there. Because assumption can really cause a mess trust me been there done that.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Kossuth,

Sorry you are having such a challenge with your new DMV.

Since your truck didn't come with an AIR pump, see if they will provide you with the documentation that shows that the truck actually came with it. My 01 (Texas Truck) doesn't have one and my 2000 didn't have one (Michigan Truck)

I would suggest you go to either a Chevy dealer or one of the emissions stations to verify that your truck actually came with one.

Exhaust: Contact Random Technology or Magnaflow (or one of the other companies that sell high performance converters) and buy the largest converter that will support the HP your engine is making. You can do it with a single 3" exhaust.

You can always make your new exhaust so it will "bolt on/unbolt" for testing time. Just add some new flanges and use "V-Clamps"

Last edited by philntx; 10-12-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by philntx
Kossuth,

Sorry you are having such a challenge with your new DMV.

Since your truck didn't come with an AIR pump, see if they will provide you with the documentation that shows that the truck actually came with it. My 01 (Texas Truck) doesn't have one and my 2000 didn't have one (Michigan Truck)

I would suggest you go to either a Chevy dealer or one of the emissions stations to verify that your truck actually came with one.

Exhaust: Contact Random Technology or Magnaflow (or one of the other companies that sell high performance converters) and buy the largest converter that will support the HP your engine is making. You can do it with a single 3" exhaust.

You can always make your new exhaust so it will "bolt on/unbolt" for testing time. Just add some new flanges and use "V-Clamps"
I am actually going to do exactly what you are saying with the exhaust part. I'm gonna have to put the air pump on it there is no way around that. I just haven't done it because the wife wants alot of stuff done to the house IE remodel the upstairs bathroom, waterproof and put egress windows in the basement ect ect ect. Basically the truck is on the backburner at the moment until bills are caught up with. I actually talked to the sh!theads at the state DMV because it passed the safety portion with flying colors and I'm not gonna be able to get around the exhaust stuff. I thought about registering it as a kit car because of everything that has been done to it, but I can't do that for some strange reason I can't remember now. In MD we also have street rod tags, but I can't do that eithor because the vehicle has to be 20 years old or older according to MD law to be titled as a street rod, which has the same guidelines as a historic ride (go figure). I wish I knew somebody that I could just (buy) a sticker from because this crap is stupid.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kossuth
I am actually going to do exactly what you are saying with the exhaust part. I'm gonna have to put the air pump on it there is no way around that. I just haven't done it because the wife wants alot of stuff done to the house IE remodel the upstairs bathroom, waterproof and put egress windows in the basement ect ect ect. Basically the truck is on the backburner at the moment until bills are caught up with. I actually talked to the sh!theads at the state DMV because it passed the safety portion with flying colors and I'm not gonna be able to get around the exhaust stuff. I thought about registering it as a kit car because of everything that has been done to it, but I can't do that for some strange reason I can't remember now. In MD we also have street rod tags, but I can't do that eithor because the vehicle has to be 20 years old or older according to MD law to be titled as a street rod, which has the same guidelines as a historic ride (go figure). I wish I knew somebody that I could just (buy) a sticker from because this crap is stupid.

I thought they had the electric pump on all the 4.3 trucks? which always filled with water and shorted out blowing the fuse in the fender
Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
I thought they had the electric pump on all the 4.3 trucks? which always filled with water and shorted out blowing the fuse in the fender
Not true, only trucks with a particular emissions package have/had the bloody thing reguardless of 6 or 4 banger.

Quick Reply: 96+ S10 LS1 guys - passing the OBD2 Inspections?