Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help to emissions obd II

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help to emissions obd II

i have an 2002 s10 that i have installed an 2000 ls1 out of a camaro. how can i get this setup to pass emissions cause i heard the motor needs to be the same year or newer than the vehicle? would i be able to swap out a newer computer? any help would be great.
thanks, rob
Old 10-14-2007, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

What state are you in? In Georgia I havent had them check the year model, but on the other hand im sure some of the more strict states will.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Teching In

i live in illinois
Old 10-15-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For Most states, yeah. you have to use the same year or newer.. also, you need to use a engine for the same class car or truck. Meaning you can not put a car motor (VIN) into a Truck and Truck engine in a Car..

So you maybe in a bit of a problem using a F-body engine in your truck.

You better check what your state has as requirements. Most states will test for the equipement and standards of the newer engine.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Use the ls1 engine. Flash it to a truck oem tune and then overwrite with the ls1 engine and transmission calibrations. All they go by is the VIN in the PCM to determine if it is a car engine or truck engine. This should get you by that little problem. Then just install all of the emissions equipment. Most of the trucks do not have a smog pump so that is one less hassle over the car tune since it checks for a smog pump.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:15 PM
b_k
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
also, you need to use a engine for the same class car or truck. Meaning you can not put a car motor (VIN) into a Truck and Truck engine in a Car..
Not in California. The rules are, engine must be newer and bigger (yes, you read that correctly, yes, I have had that verbally verified 3 times, once by a SD smog official, once by BAR, and once by CARB) and you cannot downgrade classes, ie, you cannot put a truck motor into a car, as smog standards for a truck more lenient than cars, however, a car motor may go into a truck, as long as it's newer and bigger. Of course you must also bring over the entire smog system from the donor vehicle.

Also, the make and model of the motor does not matter, ie....put an LS1 in a 85 mustang or a 87 civic, etc....as long as it's newer, bigger, and does not follow a more lenient smog standard, such as truck motor into cars. The official at CARB wasn't sure if SUV motors qualified as cars or trucks.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Teching In

so would i need to upgrade to a newer computer or would i be abe to get my current computer reprogramed with newer info. also can they program my vin onto the computer?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

in texas, the obd2 emissions machine just scans for codes. it does not check to see if the pcm matches the year model it is in and all that. as long as theres an obd2 connector and no codes are being thrown, your good to go.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
in texas, the obd2 emissions machine just scans for codes. it does not check to see if the pcm matches the year model it is in and all that. as long as theres an obd2 connector and no codes are being thrown, your good to go.
Not to be a jerk, but how do you know that. The operator of that machine dosn't even know what all it does. I know for a fact that it checks the VIN to ensure the PCM has all required functions for the model year and chassis classification.

A frined of mine thought he would be smart by tuning out his air injection on his 01 Z and was shocked when it failed.

Re'
Old 10-16-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You can tune out the codes but if you do not set the emissions monitors to yes it will fail. When you do the tune on it you have to set the im monitors to "yes" before it will pass an emissions test. Their machine does not have the capability to determine that you set the im monitors to pass. As mentioned earlier in Texas the monitors just have to say pass and pass a visual and you are good to go.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Not to be a jerk, but how do you know that. The operator of that machine dosn't even know what all it does. I know for a fact that it checks the VIN to ensure the PCM has all required functions for the model year and chassis classification.

A frined of mine thought he would be smart by tuning out his air injection on his 01 Z and was shocked when it failed.

Re'

i am a state inspector. i know for a fact that it does not check for vin/yr model and all that. the DPS people at the testing center tell all the inspectors that it does just to scare them from passing a car by plugging the OBD2 into a different car that doesnt have a check engine light on. people at my shop have done it many times to pass their friends cars. ive seen a sticker go on a truck that they plugged the obd2 into a maxima- and it passed, that was a year ago and no one got in trouble. all myths
Old 10-16-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Correct me I am recall incorrectly.. Calif law also has something about Transvers mounted (ie FWD) and Inline (RWD) can not be interchanged.. ??

TXJeepTJ.... I take it your in Texas ?? If you were in Calif.. You'd have a lot of new best friends. LOL...
Old 10-16-2007, 03:11 PM
b_k
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
Correct me I am recall incorrectly.. Calif law also has something about Transvers mounted (ie FWD) and Inline (RWD) can not be interchanged.. ??
From the conversations I've had with CARB/BAR/Smog Ref's....the answer is yes it can be interchanged, as long as you maintain all smog equipment from the donor vehicle and that it's newer and larger and you don't downgrade classes (ie, no truck engines in cars). This includes the fuel tank for OBD-II vehicles as apparently, for California vehicles at least, the computer runs a check to make sure that the fuel tank is the proper volume (how this works, I'm not sure. but the CARB technician told me that this is one check smog ref should look for during engine swaps, on top of the fact that you can't even use any other fuel tank if it isn't made for that particular vehicle or if it as an EO number)

So if you want to put in a Mazdaspeed 6 drivetrain into an S10, you can, but you'll probably have to bring everything over from the 6 and how that'll fit into an S10, that's anyone guess.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

How did we go from S10 and LS1 into Mazda's !???? LOL...

Some taken the donner sender unit of the donner car and mod'd it into there original tank.. that is one way around the gas tank check/codes.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:05 PM
b_k
Teching In

I considered putting a Mazdaspeed 6 into a Ranger. Surprisingly the ref said it was ok even though the 6's engine was slightly smaller. But as long as it was newer and from a car, he was cool with it, assuming I brought over the smog system too.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
i am a state inspector. i know for a fact that it does not check for vin/yr model and all that. the DPS people at the testing center tell all the inspectors that it does just to scare them from passing a car by plugging the OBD2 into a different car that doesnt have a check engine light on. people at my shop have done it many times to pass their friends cars. ive seen a sticker go on a truck that they plugged the obd2 into a maxima- and it passed, that was a year ago and no one got in trouble. all myths

That stuff won't work in DE. A guy in my local F body club had his 97 Camaro fail the OBD II test because the EGR had been deleted. I assume the test computer had a way of knowing the car was supposed to have it because the 01-02 LS1s don't have EGR and they don't fail.

I assume most states are using different test equipment and some are easier to fool than others.

I would go with the earlier suggestion of having the PCM flashed with the VIN of a 2002 LS1 vehicle and you should be OK.

Re'
Old 10-16-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
That stuff won't work in DE. A guy in my local F body club had his 97 Camaro fail the OBD II test because the EGR had been deleted. I assume the test computer had a way of knowing the car was supposed to have it because the 01-02 LS1s don't have EGR and they don't fail.

I assume most states are using different test equipment and some are easier to fool than others.

I would go with the earlier suggestion of having the PCM flashed with the VIN of a 2002 LS1 vehicle and you should be OK.

Re'
God bless texas then lol

Quick Reply: need help to emissions obd II