Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help wiring up my 98 LS1 in my 1996 Z28. Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Need help wiring up my 98 LS1 in my 1996 Z28. Thanks

Alright, engine is in, Ive gotten all the pin outs of all the connections in the 96 and the 98 and have sorted out the differences in all the connectors ex. c100 etc. Here is a picture of what I came up with and what is the same, what will not be used and what is different. Not sure how to go about it just yet but this is a good basis. Anyone here do a transplant into a 96-97 fbody and did their own wiring that could help me out? Anything that can help me is very appreciated!

Old 11-03-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

is the pcm power wire the wire that has a single connector with orange seal on the pass side coming out of PCM wiring? I think its S106??? Anyone?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

after finding more info, this is what ive come up with, that wire im talking about is the starter wire, im guessing i wire that up into the dash where teh LT1 starter wire is.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

a few questions.

C100
D. Reference voltage feed 5 volt (where would i get this 5v reference?)

E. LT1 is Air Pump, LS1 is TPS, (so how would I go about wiring this up? Find where LT1 TPS is wired to?)

K. Is sensor return, guessing that was for TPS, so does E go to TPS and K comes back from it?

C101
K. Where would I get the ignition retard signal from?

C220
C. LT1 says Oil level feed to cluster, LS1 is low oil level indicator lamp, i think these are the same, just worded dif, anyone confirm?

E. LT1 is PCM ignition fuse, so I think i would take the pin out of C101 and wire it into the dash where the power for pcm is coming from?

J. What should I do with that? What exactly is it for?

C230
G. They are diff on LT1 and LS1, could they actually be same? LT1 is power feed from sensor fuse #10, LS1 is fuse ignition 3.

C210

How would I wire this all up for the LT1 fuel pump.

C105
A. I put diff because LT1 is TCS spark retard, LS1 is TC Indicator failure, are these the same?

B. Different, but they are both from fuses it seems, could be the same, worded diff.

C. LT1 is TCS Position, LS1 is TCS switch signal, what to do as far as this.

G. for LT1 is TC active, LS1 is tach signal.

So im thinking the TCS for LT1 could be wired to E on C100 for the LS1 and the TC Active is the same as LS1 TCS switch Signal?

the rest are the same and wire up, anyone know where to buy the tools to help with pinning and repinning the connectors? Thanks
Old 11-06-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone else?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

C100
D. d, e and k on this plug are together(any sensor will need a referrence feed). Odd because the TPS is on the main harness and goes to the PCM (I'll check my notes).

E. Are you running the smog pump? If so move pin C from C101 here.

K. ?

C101
K. I think this has something to do with traction control (not sure)

C220
C. same

E. not sure

J. the LS1 uses a 30amp relay to energize the starter while the LT1 uses the purple wire in C210 (pin A). You don't need this as you can run that wire directly to the starter.

C230

All the fuses between the LT1 and LS1 are different. But by using my helms manuals during the swap I was able to match up the pins on the LS1 harness needing power to availabe LT1 fuses.

C210

Fuel pump relay control:

Remove pin D from LS1 connector C101 and move it to C220 in position J. The wire already there runs to pin A of C101 and used to run the starter relay which you don't have anymore.

C105

Are you running traction control? If not you don't need all these.

Re'
Old 11-07-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks, not running Traction Control, Air, EGR, or A/C so I can remove some stuff. Good info and this will come in handy. As far as the purple wire, I know that c102 is the starter wire on LS1, could I just run the starter wire from c210 and splice it with c102 or would I just run the LT1 starter wire to the starter solenoid? I think either way could work.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes. Connect the LT1 starter solinoid wire directly to the LS1 solinoid wire. When doing my swap I removed all wires from the harness and PCM connectors that I wasn't using. By removing the wires for the traction control and other stuff I didn't need I was able to run all my wires through the C100 connector.

Re'
Old 11-07-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice, I was just gonna have one more problem I think id run into, everything else seems simple enough, but im a little confused as how to wire up the fuel pump to work. Any help would be really appreciated. thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

so are you saying that I dont need anything from connector c105 or just most of it? thanks
Old 11-08-2007, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

The wire on pin D of C101 would go to the LS1 fuel pump realy whis mounted in the relay box in the engine compartment. In your LT1 the relay is mounted in the interior behind the drivers kick panel and the wire needs to be on pin J of C220. Just remove pin D from LS1 connector C101 and move it to C220 in position J.

There are several wires in C105 you need. But by moving wires around in the connectors you can fit all the wires you need in C100

Trace wires for things you are not using all the way back to the PCM and remove them all together. It will make for a much cleaner install. This and removing other wires you don't need is why I suggested removing the harness from the car early on.

Re'
Old 11-08-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

good news, wired everything I could up for the moment, for instance, ignition and battery power to pcm, the fuel pump relay, the grounds to the back of the head, and the starter wire. The rest that was left all plugged rite in. I basically did a test run, not actually wiring but removing pins and jumping them with wires to get a result, result was good. went from doing nothing to the engine actually turning over, I think now what I have to do is actually get the fuel pump all wired up, I didnt hear the fuel when the key was on, I only had the relay plugged up for the fuel pump.

So if anyone could help me wire the fuel pump, I think I could have this thing running, will worry about gauges later. Thanks
Old 11-08-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alright thats what I need to figure out, where the FUEL PUMP PRIME CONNECTOR IS because the LS1 does not have this.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

alright, this is the prime connector on the LT1 harness, Im guessing that this goes into the engine bay harness around where c100 etc is connected. If so I cant find the connector for it, but I will look again, maybe its under something. So where exactly does the prime connector go, unsure, maybe it was just alone and not connected to anything.

this is a pic of the connector, does it actually connect to anything or does it just sit there so you can jump the fuel pump when needed?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure why some cars have a prime connector but the LS1 does not. Follow my directions above on how to get the fuel pump running. The wire has to be moved from C100 under the hood to C220 under the dash. It's the only way.

Re'
Old 11-09-2007, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, I wired up everything last night, first time was just a test fit, now everything is perminant. I know why the fuel pump wasnt coming on, I didnt have the ground from c210 connected, so I connected the ground, turn the key on, all gauges have power and the engine still turns over, I can hear the fuel pump, wanted to start the car up but I have open headers and the neighbors there are ******** so Ill wait for today. I turned it over for a couple of seconds twice, I heard it pop twice but thats about it. Hopefully it starts, if it doesnt it could probably be something wrong with ignition wiring, so Im guessing I could check voltage to the coils while key is on or id have to be turning it over to check the voltage? Thanks
Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

after thinking about it, i know why it wouldnt start initially, the the power to bank 1 injectors and coils is connected on c100, but c101 isnt connected to anything and holds the wire that needs power to bank 2 injectors and coils, so I think Ill try to jump it onto that circuit first then find its own fuse. It was only trying to run on 4 cylinders on 1 side, that explains it. So on C101 its the B and also noticed H on C101 is a ground so Ill probably ground that one, not sure what its ground for but prob wont hurt unless someone can confirm it goes to air pump or something, then I really dont need it.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright, I wired up the connections from c101 and spliced them into the ignition fuse and as suspected it started up and ran for about 2 secs. Couldnt give it gas because I didnt have my throttle cable on the car. Other than that the car seemed to either have some timeing issuse or the fact that Im running the 2 circuits on one fuse is causing some issues, so Im going to split them onto 2 separate fuses like they are suppose to be. But when it did start and run it sounded really good, other than that it popped a couple of times, backfired and I could hear what it sounded like was air being pushed out through the intake. Hopefully my wiring will take care of this, other than that, bleed the clutch and I should be ready to take it down the street after I get the X-Pipe fitted to the LS1 headers, was fitted to my LT1 headers. Car has also been sitting so long inspection is out.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you have to bypass the security features? for it to run?
Old 11-27-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

no...................

Quick Reply: Need help wiring up my 98 LS1 in my 1996 Z28. Thanks