Sponsored by:

AC compressor question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC compressor question

Hey all,

i'm new to this site as a poster but I have definitely been using it a great resource for my ls1 into a 66 chevelle swap.

I'd like to use the ac compressor from the 04 gto ls1 I just got. As long as I can get it to fit and get it hooked up will it work with the ac system I have (aftermarket-classic auto air). Meaning as long as I have the suction and discharge ports properly routed and wire the clutch, will the gto compressor perform the function of the sanden 508 on my small block that I have? Has other ac functions (expansion valves, etc.) been integrated that would keep me from using it?

Thanks for the help,

naci
Old 11-26-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It should without any trouble. Hook it up and go.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am just using the stock 99 F-Body compressor with the stock setup of my Chevelle.. so I don't see why you would have any problems, but as you say.. connect verything up correctly and all.

Good Luck..
Old 11-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Sounds good, thanks for the info. Back to work...

naci
Old 11-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Piece of cake. Just buy beadlock fittings and hose from www.docsblocks.com (LOWEST PRICES ANYWHERE). The LS I used from a '99 Camaro uses the 3-wire A/C pressure switch. You can get a -6 high-side fitting for the pressure switch (M10 thread) from Tubes n' Hoses (which are made by Owens Research, Inc). Get your local guy with a mobile A/C service truck to come around and crimp the hoses and service the system. Put in High and Low service ports in addition to the pressure switch fitting. Use heater hose to mock-up your system, then cut the barrier hose to length. Use a Sharpie to mark the "clocking" of each fitting to hose if necessary.

Last edited by Steve VanS; 11-27-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks for that link (www.docsblocks.com), you save me alot of searching. The pricing is really low. Looks like I can get my ac going for a very reasonable price.

thanks again,

naci
Old 04-23-2008, 08:01 PM

Question

Did you get your A/C working? I've also got an LS1 from an 04 GTO and according to Street & Performance, the factory A/C compressor will not work with any aftermarket A/C systems. They told me the GTOs were climate controlled and the compressors required a lot of electronics to make them work. Then they tried to sell me one of their Sanden compressors. If you got yours working I'd sure like to know.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Hey 39chevy.

I haven't got it all hooked up yet. I've been having an issue with the engine shaking and not running as smooth as I was expecting. Have been trying to chase down that problem to no avail.

Because it is so hot, I'm going to get started on the A/C really soon regardless of the engine. I will post my results as soon as I get it done. It looks like I can use my existing condesor and evaporator ( I just hope the capacities are ok). I'm going to get rid of the old style expansion valve and use the orifice tube like on a late model setup. Also I'm going to change out the old style drier with the new style. The pressure switch I'm using is going to be from an LS1 setup as well. Basically I just have to get those parts and plumb it all up. I have to figure out how to get the orifice tube connected (maybe take a day off work and head to a wrecking yard and pull that section of the AC hosing). It seems like there is a AC request signal going into the computer, which controls all of it as long as everything is hooked up properly. Hopefully it all works.

naci
Old 06-19-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told my F-body compressor wouldn't work also. Alot of companies wanted to sell me THEIR compressor and brackets so they said "oh....too much trouble to use the factory compressor, scary electronics, voo-doo sensors etc., etc."

Except for the people at Hot Rod Air.........they said I'd have no problem since I was using the F-body computer to run things. It wasn't a big deal, the system works great.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Oscar does your system have the old style cycling switch? or was that replaced by the camaro switch that triggers the pcm and then wiring connected to the pcm accordingly?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 39Chevy
Did you get your A/C working? I've also got an LS1 from an 04 GTO and according to Street & Performance, the factory A/C compressor will not work with any aftermarket A/C systems. They told me the GTOs were climate controlled and the compressors required a lot of electronics to make them work. Then they tried to sell me one of their Sanden compressors. If you got yours working I'd sure like to know.

my 93 mustang uses the stock Fbody compressor and everything else is ford. i used the factory wire coming from the AC control head to trigger the PCM, a high pressure switch from a cavalier that goes to the PCM so it controls the compressor and fans, NO low side cycling switch.

using a variable displacement compressor with older cars may not be the perfect way but mine blows 45 degrees in the FL heat

Last edited by nuckifuts; 06-19-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Hoping you got everything working well just checking back on your project..
Old 08-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

GTOs don't have automatic climate controls. They do have inertial clutches but I don't know why that would make any difference.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am no expert, I have some basic knowledge of AC systems only..

I just figured that a compressor was a compressor.. if your current system has all of the sensors, switches and controls.. the old system would switch on and off the compressor like it used to.. the old system doesn't know what is on the end of the electrical connector at the compressor (and yes, I know there are different types of compressor, variable displacement, CFM Ratigns and all, but they all do the same job, switch on = suck from the low side and compresses to the high side).

My system has been working ok for the past two summer without problem, I might need to be recharged correctly (It is most likely over charged a bit), as it doesn't work as well in Traffic.. but as long as I keep moving, it will blow around 45 the highway and around 48-50 on the streets..
Old 08-29-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good news, considering I need to use the Sanden compressor from a TBSS on my Blazer to make everything fit how I want. Thanks for the links.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use any of the stock variable pressure LS compressors(if they bolt up) OR an aftermarket compressor, like a Sandon 508. The only difference between the two, is that the factory variable pressure compressors don't need a low pressure switch in addition to the trinary(3 wire) F-body hi-pressure switch. The LS compressors adjust by themselves, internally, nixing the need for the low-pressure switch. Operating any system via the computer controlling it, is the best way to go. All any system needs, as mentioned above, is a service port fitting on both the high & low pressure sides(which can be bought as part of each hose fitting coming off the compressor ports) and a threaded port installed in the high pressure hose going back to the firewall evaporator, from the forward mounted condensor, to thread the F-body trinary switch into. Thats it, besides the wiring.

Quick Reply: AC compressor question