Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easiest way to convert to drive by wire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest way to convert to drive by wire?

Car is a 1969 camaro. I was all set to just do the Lokar cable route when I found out the L76 intake comes with a drive by wire TB. Instead of spending mucho dinero on getting a new throttle body is there a cheap(er) way to just convert to Drive by wire? What all will I need? I plan to also integrate cruise control eventually if that helps.

Thanks folks. Engine is about done and then it will be on to the retrofitting!
Should be both a pain in the **** and fun at the same time. Any additional comments/complaints/questions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know everything that's needed but the DBW throttle body is connected to the tac module. The tac module talks to the pcm via the data buss and requires a pcm that has the DBW code (all vettes I think, 03+ trucks, etc). Well and of course the DBW pedal,etc. Think a cable TB would be cheaper.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dbw

I Understand the throttle body cost relationship.. But what is the easier route given he wants to use cruise control at some point?

For me, I have decided to go with the drive by wire as I dont have to acquire and install the cruise equip and Speartech has indicated that I can use the stock GM cruise stick on the column as well. Plus I was thinking it would look a little cleaner to boot.

Again, it all depends on what you want to do and how you want it to work and look.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmmm... If you've got a 90mm cable throttle body, we might be able to work a deal...

In addition to the TB, you'd also need a DBW pedal ***'y, the most-common choice is the Vette unit since it's apparently smaller than the truck assemblies. Once you have those two things & a compatible PCM, you should be good to go - at least that's how I understand it. I don't have any idea about costs for those pieces though.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Ha, wish I could help Rumble... I do have a stock ls1 tb for ya... right.

Actually though I looked up prices and you can get the cable driven unit for around 350. Not too bad. Tell me more about the cruise control if possible
Old 11-29-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by merriman44
Actually though I looked up prices and you can get the cable driven unit for around 350. Not too bad. Tell me more about the cruise control if possible
Thanks for the price info, I hadn't gotten around to tracking that down yet. As far as the cruise control, I sure wish I could - I'm still in the "frenzied search, read, & copy-&-paste into my own 'swap document' phase" at the moment.

If I run across anything that seems pertinent though, I'll send it to ya via PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Thanks!
My conversion got derailed by the 'why not' bug. When I found out the ls1 I bought was trash, I decided I'd never buy something again that I didn't personally see go together. So I started to draft up a ls2 build that turned into a 402. The L92 combo is the most bang for your buck out there and thats what this swap has all been about.

Body work on the car should be done this winter (just gotta weld in those frame rails). Its been a long year..
Old 11-30-2007, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an idea I'm considering for my drive-by-wire throttle body. Call it "drive-by-cable-drive-by-wire". The plan is to remove the sensor part of the DBW pedal assembly, mount it in the engine compartment and connect the original throttle cable to it. This eliminates the need to adapt a new pedal assembly (it's really tight under a BMW dash). I got the idea after I mounted the engine on a test stand and bolted the pedal assembly where I could reach it from the instrument panel. It hit me that the sensor could be mounted any place and could be rotated by a cable just as well as a pedal.
The Geezer
Old 12-05-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Question Any further..

Originally Posted by merriman44
Car is a 1969 camaro. I was all set to just do the Lokar cable route when I found out the L76 intake comes with a drive by wire TB. Instead of spending mucho dinero on getting a new throttle body is there a cheap(er) way to just convert to Drive by wire? What all will I need? I plan to also integrate cruise control eventually if that helps.

Thanks folks. Engine is about done and then it will be on to the retrofitting!
Should be both a pain in the **** and fun at the same time. Any additional comments/complaints/questions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance
decision[s] made, concerning the DBW vs cable, throttle control??
I'm in the "construct/decision" phase on my 55 Belaire.
I have both throttle bodies, tuning software, etc, but haven't bought the engine/ecm/harness, as of yet.
The LOKAR looks nice, but this is a "driver" build, and pretty is not a consideration.
NE input is appreciated...
Old 12-05-2007, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

think I'll try to find the pedals and do DBW since it should end up cheaper.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

After adding up what we'd have to spend on the LOKAR stuff, plus a brkt from Street/Perf, I come up with about $350.00.
I think the extra $, when buying the engine/trans/harness/ ECM would be less than that. Surely would be less engine compartment clutter, and the firewall would be cleaner.
I'm going w/ the FBW.
Thanks for the reply..
Merry Christmas!! :O)
Old 12-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Don't know if this would be easier, but we here at Edelbrock are releasing a new TB for cable actuated cars. Check the new products on Edelbrock.com

Quick Reply: Easiest way to convert to drive by wire?