Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 liter into a YJ.. need LOTS of help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 liter into a YJ.. trying to fire.. won't start!

first off.. that "search" button and I.. well lets just say we don't get along.. I've been using him for about a week or so and I can't get him to give me any good info.. maybe I just don't know what to look for.. I don't know.. anyways if I could get some help from you guys, that would be AWESOME..

ok, I have a 95 YJ that bassicly has nothing.. the engine harness has been cut at the firewall (Previous owner). the gauges and all inside stuff is still there.. but there isn't any wiring in the engine compartment, just the stub of whats left of the engine harness. I just bought a 5.3 liter from an 04 suburban. I'll be using a 4l60e tranny and a dana 300 t-case. and I'm trying to collect parts and everything I'll need to make that motor run in my jeep.. I want to make it look very clean and have that stock look to it.. if that makes sense.. I've found a radiator and e-fan setup from an ls1 camaro (on here) that I'm going to use on it. and I was planning on having the computer reflashed. and I'm planning on running a fuel cell mounted in the cab of the jeep, where the back seat was. and then I'm going to swap out the gauges for autometer ones, because I would ASSUME it would be easier to get thier stuff and get them to work with the new motor and everything than it would be to run the stock gauges..

anyways.. I'm not really sure what I need to do to the wiring harness and if I HAVE to get an aftermarket one, I'd much rather just use what I have if possible.. anyway.. if anyone can point me in the right direction, to where someone has done a writeup that I can read and figure out what I need to do, that would be awesome..

thanks in advance for the info guys!!!

Brady

quick rundown:

1. what do I need to tell the people who flash my computer?
2. WHO should I get to flash it?
3. What mods need to be mad to my wiring harness to get the motor to bassicly be a stand alone correctly running system in my jeep?
4. what mods do I need to make to get the gauges to work right (would aftermarket gauges be the way to go?) ?
5. What fuel cell will be my best bet, or does it matter as long as it holds gas, and has a gauge sender?
6. What fuel pump (inline?) would be the one to use, along with what filter? (I read that the ls motors have the pressure regulated on the fuel rail, so there is no need for anything like that?)
7. from everything I have seen/read, there isn't any type of sensor or anything in the air intake other than obviously the TB right there the manifold, is that correct? like on the older vortecs where they have the mass air flow sensor? so bassicly for this motor all I need is some tube and a filter?
8. any other tips tricks advice, etc. etc... right now I have like a VERY basic idea of everything that needs to happen, just not 100%.. need guidance!

Last edited by slick_73; 05-22-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Launching!

hey hows it going im about to start the same setup 93 yj 5.3 4l60 dana 300 i am gona start on mine this weekend i think i will help with what i can
Old 12-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Teching In

that would be awesome.. what are you using for wiring?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Brady,
Small world ehh.

I thought you were running a iron block 350?

I honestly wouldn't waste your time w/ the OE gauges. The aren't very accurate or reliable. They do make a kit to swap aftermarket gauges into a YJ dash though. I have seem it, but don't remember where.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Teching In

haha.. you caught me.. I've been keeping the new motor under wraps until I actually get it into my garage... I've been looking at autometer gauges.. just don't know if they will work.. seams like there should be a wire coming off the temp sensor, that would plug into the temp gauge.. one from my fuel cell for fuel gauge, one for the tac, but the speedo, I'm not really sure about.. and I'm missing alot of the wiring for the stock stuff in the jeep, it was all cut out..
Old 12-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Teching In

these are the gauges I'm looking at.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...art=SUM-ATM-PH

thoughts?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Launching!

i bought a harness from howwel and they did my computer also i do understand that it is not that hard to make the factory gm harness work
Old 12-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Launching!

opps howell where r u located
Old 12-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Teching In

northern VA
Old 12-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Phantoms are nice. Since the speedo runs of electric and the Dana 300 T-cases use a mechanical speedo drive gear, you will need a assembly to drive a pickup for an electric speedo. They make them. Just need to see what kind of requirements the phantom needs to figure out which one to use
Old 12-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Launching!

not 100 percent shure but i think i read somewhere the spedo sensor from the 231 will work on the 300 will do some checking on that
Old 12-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Painless makes one that screws right into the housing.

OR, If you have the long D300 (1981+), the whole speedo assembly is the same as they use on the NP231. If you have the gear portion already in the t-case and are happy with the gear size, you can just unscrew the VSS from an NP231 and add it to the top & attach the harness plug.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Teching In

the adapter I've got from the 4l60e to the dana 300 has a clamp on reluctor ring (or whatever it's called) anyway it has the output for the speedo in there.. its a 2 wire hookup that looks VERY similar to the stock one for that tranny
Old 12-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Launching!

r u fliping the dana 300 i bought a new case from stak to flip mine aslo gona twin stick it
Old 12-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Launching!

that output will be for ur computer depending on ur harness u should have a speedo wire and a tach wire for ur gages
Old 12-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Teching In

no, I'm running chevy one tons.. so the dana 300 is on the right side for me.. I would ASSUME.. that I could just tell the people that flash my computer what speedo output I've along with the tire size and gears and they could just program the computer to tell the speedo the right speed?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Launching!

ur front driveshaft is going to be very close to ur trans oil pan but it is doable
as for the spedo they r programable so that wont be that big of a deal and the copmuter guys will need to know what gears ur running
Old 12-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Teching In

so its sounding like I can use my stock harness, and it should already have wires running to all the gauges? and I can use those, and let the computer people know all the details I am using as for gears, speedo, all that stuff. and I'll be atleast headed in the right direction?? I've got pinouts of all the wiring and everything in my harness..
Old 12-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Teching In

well guys, I picked up my motor tonight, but I'm too tired to put up pics.. one word... CLEAN!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Launching!

when r u gona start to put it in

Quick Reply: 5.3 liter into a YJ.. need LOTS of help!