Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevlle gas tank ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Chevlle gas tank ?

what are the Chevelle conversion guys using for a gas tank ? particullary 64-65 Chevelle, thanx
Old 12-13-2007, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick's tanks are nice, but about $1k. Some people are using a Tanks Inc. kit in their stock tank or a new stock tank since welding is probably necessary. I'm not sure on the frame rail width, but I'm running a '95 Impala SS tank in my '71.

http://www.rickshotrodshop.com/
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm
Old 12-13-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

cool thanx for the info
Old 12-13-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I followed suite with these guys. (be fore warned link is hard to load may take a few tries)

http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/1...fuel_pump.html

They did an external inline pump (noisey for some folks) and a 99-03 vet filter regulator both can be purchased on E(vil) bay.

These guys sale the quick release dorman fuel fittings that mate to the vet regulator 3 required.

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/c-27...aspx?pagenum=2

These guys sale a factory sending unit with a 3/8 feed and 1/4 return. The vet regulator/filter return is 5/16.

http://www.classiccarautoparts.com/g...ng_units3.html

I'm not sure if I'm going to buy this one and neck the plumbing down from 5/16 to 1/4 at the tank or be safe and buy there unit that has no return and have it shipped to this next guy. He said he could install a 5/16 return line for about 75$.

The Guys name is Danny real nice and helpful

http://www.tristarrradiator.com/New%...g%20Units.html

Here is the parts list and cost

walbro fuel pump p/n GLS392 110$ AT Evil BAY
vet filter/regulator gm p/n 10299146 or wix number 33737 on Evil bay 40$
dorman fuel fittings to mate with filter (3) from midway auto
part numbers 800-155, 800- 120, 800-121 about 30$ plus shipping.

The approximate cost of this approach is about 400$ with shipping cost.

Some guys say fuel sloshing is an issue in a non baffled tank but I have a 93 z71 with TBI and it cutouts too when the tank gets way low. All that means to me is it;'s time to fill up.

Good luck I'm trying to create nice weekend cruiser and occasional daily driver on a budget that's why I went down this path. If your budget allows it I'd do a custom tank with internal pump.

Last edited by rockytopper; 12-13-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

The problem w/ some of these solutions is the lack of baffling in the stock tank. With this pickup you still have the same problem. Also the way the return is, looks scary to me. It should go all the way to the bottom of the tank to keep from creating static electricity.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

I did the tanksinc setup on my stock tank. I oringally planned on having to modify the tank but on my 67 there was a flat spot on top of the tank just large enough (4" diameter) to fit the unit. Since the fittings still stick up above the top of the tank I plan to just shim the font of the tank down a bit with some rubber or something to clear. May not look the best but I highly doubt you will notice the front of the tank hanging 1/2 inch lower. Should help further push the gas towards the tanksinc sump as well. Here is a link to a similar install to mine http://www.thedetailzone.com/Tanks%2...%20Install.htm
Old 12-13-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

thanx for the info/input...i think i'll try the Tanks Inc setup....

Last edited by oange ss; 12-13-2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-13-2007, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pist0lpete
I did the tanksinc setup on my stock tank. I oringally planned on having to modify the tank but on my 67 there was a flat spot on top of the tank just large enough (4" diameter) to fit the unit. Since the fittings still stick up above the top of the tank I plan to just shim the font of the tank down a bit with some rubber or something to clear. May not look the best but I highly doubt you will notice the front of the tank hanging 1/2 inch lower. Should help further push the gas towards the tanksinc sump as well. Here is a link to a similar install to mine http://www.thedetailzone.com/Tanks%2...%20Install.htm
Did you need to shorten the housing on yours to fit the height of the tank?

I know some had to do that.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Ya I had to shorten it with a 4 inch grinder no big deal really I think tanksinc plans on that as it is part of the instructions. The biggest pain really was cleaning out all of the metal shavings from the tank really. Also, I happened to have a 4 inch hole saw already which was nice because I think home depot wanted like $35 for one. I will try and get some pictures of it mounted in the tank this weekend.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah pete right behind you,just a q,at the flat spot isnt that in line where the tank strap is,or really where the the top of the tank fits into the trunk brace area .i didnt pull my old tank down yet but it seems it may be a problem. whihh tanks inc kit did u use ? looking fwd to the pics.JOHN
Old 12-13-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't mean to discourage you but having installed and used the Tanks inc setup, I would not recommend it.
First off it was a pain to install. I'm not sure if you will run into depth issues like I did with the camaro tank. However, the biggest problem I had was fuel starvation. Even with the tray at the bottom of the tank, I would notice the pump get noisy when I turned or braked hard even with a half tank of gas.

For the chevelle I would either go with B-Body tank or a Rick's tank

You can see my setup on the link below.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Ricks tanks are top notch quality but if you have the time you can modify your existing tank to work
Old 12-13-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also did the tanksinc kit on my 72 chevelle. I ended up making a removeable door so I could pull the complete pump without dropping the tank.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:33 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could also use a 64/65 tank and put in a late model fuel bucket/venturi/pump system. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/716267/3 A lot of the late model GM cars/trucks use this setup, so theres a variety of depths available.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by john 67
yeah pete right behind you,just a q,at the flat spot isnt that in line where the tank strap is,or really where the the top of the tank fits into the trunk brace area .i didnt pull my old tank down yet but it seems it may be a problem. whihh tanks inc kit did u use ? looking fwd to the pics.JOHN
IIRC and this is without looking at in a while, I think the spot I mounted it would be just to to the outside of where the strap is. Like I mentioned before I planned on having th shim the tank down some and there is definitely plenty of adjustment built into the stock straps so I think it will be alright. I went ahead and opted 250 liter per hour setup that way I would be covered for heads nitrous mild boost or whatever I might run into in the future. Like I said I will do my best to get some pics this weekend but the way things are looking there is a snow storm coming so I won't make any promises.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by G-Body
You could also use a 64/65 tank and put in a late model fuel bucket/venturi/pump system. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/716267/3 A lot of the late model GM cars/trucks use this setup, so theres a variety of depths available.
workin with a 64 tank, but I think it will be too shallow to run the F-Body module, that's what i wanted to do in the first place...
Old 12-14-2007, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Good information to learn for my 64 in the future. Keep up the progress.

I lucked out with my 70 Elky as the donor tank from the 2000 Z28 is a side fill with a flexible coupling hose and is sized just right to fit closely were the original tank is.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thumbs up

I'm using a tank from a 96 Impala/Roadmaster its a couple inches taller than stock so I raised up my trunk floor to get it tucked up in the frame. Fit up in the framerails perfect.

My car has along way to go but I starte the Resto in the rear of the car so I figured might as well get the tank in. 100 bucks from the JY

Tony
Old 12-14-2007, 01:32 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oange ss
workin with a 64 tank, but I think it will be too shallow to run the F-Body module, that's what i wanted to do in the first place...
How deep is the 64 tank? There are at least a couple depths of module, they used them in a bunch of newer cars. I have a caddy one that is pretty short in the garage, I`ll try to remember to measure it when I get home tonight.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Teching In

im using a 22 gallon polished aluminum fuel cell, no intake pump really easy to work with

Quick Reply: Chevlle gas tank ?