Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help building a 5.3 for my 68 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help building a 5.3 for my 68 camaro

I have a stock 5.3 from a 2002 truck. I am looking for a mild daily driver type engine, something 350 H.P.+ would be my goal.

My questions:
What type of ls1 carb intake?
What brand/size cam?
What type of oil pan do I need to swap with? just a reg. ls1 pan? From what I understand the truck pan sets too deep.
Should I ugrade the coil packs?

I appreciate any information.

Andrew
Old 01-09-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

350hp should be too hard to make

Why are you going carb.. why not EFI ?

- For the Intake, you have either the GM or Edelbrock.
- Not use about what works best with the Carb setup.... other will response with there suggestions.
- Depending on what type of adapter plates you are going to use. Most are using either a stock F-body pan (if using the BRP type of plates) or a notched F-body (if using the S&P, Hooker, ATS, Edelbrock and simular designs).
Coil packs should be ok for the mild / 350hp range.

No one swap is the same, everyone is different one way or another. You should read the Stick/FAQ and search on the F-body Gen I threads.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
350hp should be too hard to make

Why are you going carb.. why not EFI ?

- For the Intake, you have either the GM or Edelbrock.
- Not use about what works best with the Carb setup.... other will response with there suggestions.
- Depending on what type of adapter plates you are going to use. Most are using either a stock F-body pan (if using the BRP type of plates) or a notched F-body (if using the S&P, Hooker, ATS, Edelbrock and simular designs).
Coil packs should be ok for the mild / 350hp range.

No one swap is the same, everyone is different one way or another. You should read the Stick/FAQ and search on the F-body Gen I threads.
I am going with carb, because I want something simple.
I read through the FAQ threads as well as hundreds of others, but I wanted to develop an exact list of what would be best.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

I don't think it's cost effective to go carb on a 5.3L. After you buy the intake and distributor you could wire up the efi for less. After you buy everything you could have a running LS1/6 EFI for close to equal $$.

For your 350 HP goal, look at what GMPP has done with the 5.3 HO crate engine.

--JMarsa
Old 01-10-2008, 08:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Andrew, Check out our website. We have various 5.3L packages. We could do an upgrade kit for your engine, so it would be very simple and straight forward. We have been running our 5.3L's making 425hp for 5 years in racing. Very reliable, and very simple. You would only have to hook up battery power and ignition power to a switch.

If you want to go with the carb setup, we can help with a trade of some sorts on your intake and throttle body. Give me a call if you have any questions.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
Andrew, Check out our website. We have various 5.3L packages. We could do an upgrade kit for your engine, so it would be very simple and straight forward. We have been running our 5.3L's making 425hp for 5 years in racing. Very reliable, and very simple. You would only have to hook up battery power and ignition power to a switch.

If you want to go with the carb setup, we can help with a trade of some sorts on your intake and throttle body. Give me a call if you have any questions.
Could you post some more information on your Stage II 5.3 Package? Possibly some head and cam specs?
Old 01-11-2008, 04:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

also what are the prices on your 5.3 packages?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The cam in the 425hp is a 280/290 0.540" Lift cam. Not big, but big enough for the 5.3L.
The heads are stock, they already flow plenty of air.

The price for a complete drop in engine is here,
http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/E...%20Package.htm

If you are looking for upgrades to a stock motor, send me a pm. I will be out of town this weekend, but I will be checking in here every now and then.

Quick Reply: Need help building a 5.3 for my 68 camaro