Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you do your crossmember when using s&p plates?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How did you do your crossmember when using s&p plates?

I am almost done with my 3rd gen camaro. I was wondering how people are setting up the crossmember when using s&p relocation plates with the old style motor mounts. Pics would be wonderful.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Launching!

I know someone has used s&p plates with an automatic trans... Need some help here guys.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Launching!

still no replys
Old 02-07-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built a crossmember using a Competition Engineering piece I bought from Summit, less than $50. I had to narrow it to work in my application. Check in my project journal for details:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...age=5&reverse=

Start at journal entry 22 and go forward. The pages are backwards on the site, so you start at page 10, then go to 9 etc. You may have to skip over some entries as I was working and documenting other things at the same time.

Hope that helps

Pat
Old 02-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Launching!

I was looking for something more so for the third gen. I like your idea tho Stu. Thanks for posting. Still need more help
Old 02-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Launching!

No one here took pictures of how they did this?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Come on guys need some help here
Old 02-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Launching!

any homemade third gen crossmember pics would be tons of help
Old 02-12-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im going to fab up some bracket's tommorow which will be exactly the same as the S&P brackets, except cost me nothing
Old 02-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SheldonZ28
Im going to fab up some bracket's tommorow which will be exactly the same as the S&P brackets, except cost me nothing
That's what I did too. I just need to know what I need to do about the trans crossmember. Can I just modify my stock one?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Long delay on posting. But ive got the motor mounted in my car. i had to slot my stock k-member to use my stock tranny, but it bolted up.

With the truck pan there is no clearance issues. Ill find out this week if that holds true for the f-body pan.

Ill take some pictures tonight of what im talking about
Old 03-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Long delay on posting. But ive got the motor mounted in my car. i had to slot my stock k-member to use my stock tranny, but it bolted up.

With the truck pan there is no clearance issues. Ill find out this week if that holds true for the f-body pan.

Ill take some pictures tonight of what im talking about
Only thing I found on the truck pan is that it hung too low for comfort. I've got an f-body pan on mine now but it seems as though the pan hits the k-member in the front.. I can't get my motor mount bolts to go through all the way. I haven't had a chance to put it in the air and check it. I'm three hours away from it so I can only work on it when I go home. I'm a college student.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Understandable.

From what ive figured out, the truck pan is useless. Ive got an f-body pan on its way to me, and from my measurments, i shuold have 3/8" Of interference. If i notch my k-member a bit, that would solve this problem, and id be A-Ok as far as that goes.

My next issue is the driveshaft only slips up the tailshaft of my transmission 1 3/8", compared to 2 3/8" stock. Im not sure if this will be an issue.

My truck manifolds wont work, as they hit into the frame rails, so im crossing my fingers that f-body manifolds work. Ill be back at working on the car in a week and a half, ill report my motor mount findings.

Heres a few pictures of clearance:

Tranny crossmember modified (Stock Transmission retained)

Distance between the back of the motor and firewall

Old 03-05-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good idea. Can you send me a set?
Old 03-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=SheldonZ28;8853719]Understandable.

From what ive figured out, the truck pan is useless. Ive got an f-body pan on its way to me, and from my measurments, i shuold have 3/8" Of interference. If i notch my k-member a bit, that would solve this problem, and id be A-Ok as far as that goes.

My next issue is the driveshaft only slips up the tailshaft of my transmission 1 3/8", compared to 2 3/8" stock. Im not sure if this will be an issue.

My truck manifolds wont work, as they hit into the frame rails, so im crossing my fingers that f-body manifolds work. Ill be back at working on the car in a week and a half, ill report my motor mount findings.

I can tell you now the car manifolds work perfect. no interference anywhere. Are you using the 5.3 harness? If so the fuse box looks pretty good sitting where the charcoal canister was. Can't wait to see some pics of the oil pan clearance with f-body pan
Old 03-05-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1987earthquake
Understandable.

I can tell you now the car manifolds work perfect. no interference anywhere. Are you using the 5.3 harness? If so the fuse box looks pretty good sitting where the charcoal canister was. Can't wait to see some pics of the oil pan clearance with f-body pan
Ive re-worked my harness, and moved stuff around to try to get the harness to sit differently with the car intake. Ive got the harness sitting in my car now with the motor, but its not fully hooked up, as i havnt setup the fuse box or any of that aspect yet,

Quick Reply: How did you do your crossmember when using s&p plates?