Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 KOUKI BUILD AKA "HEART OF A GOAT" 56k beware**

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 KOUKI BUILD AKA "HEART OF A GOAT" 56k beware**

Ok after months and months of collecting parts and doing so called research (Thanx everyone for the help so far but need more)myself and a couple of friend set out to attempt to install my 06 gto motor into my 1997 240sx...

We hammered the tranny tunnel at bit as well to get the motor in with out a snag

After beating and prepping the engine bay we started to FORCE!! the motor in(yeah thats me in the green sweater)

(Dont worry my friend Macguyver is only like 100lbs. In this pic he completely put his body weight on the tranny and it didn't even move lol)

I am current using an r32 crossmember just like mmdb, and ls1neezy.....(but Im using carshopinc mounts)but ran into a couple of problem during the process. After laying the motor in we realized that the swaybay was in the way. After going back and looking at mmdb swap pics I notice in all the pics were is your sway bar?????? are you running one or not?????

We unbolted the sway bar to see how the motor would sit and the shifter location......THIS IS WERE THE MONEY WRENCH CAME IN!!! We placed the motor and tranny into the 240 and placed the shifter in what we though would be the ideal position.....

With the shifter like this the motor sits kinda too far forward

(unbolted sway bar! hanging)
Obviously based on these pics we are gonna have to move the motor about 3-4 inches back toward the firewall but then the shifter will be way past the whole

With alot of tension building last night we conceded defeat to the motor and packed up and went home. We didnt even get around to taking off the intake manifold and getting good measurements yet. Basically all we did was just place the motor into the car

I could use some insight on positioning the motor should I take out the swaybar or move the motor back past the original hole??? or are we just over looking the task at hand????help....I would love to hear from mmdb at this point to know if you are running a swaybar and anybody else who can chime in thanx in advance for your input.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

I don't have any info, but nice swap!

Good luck with it

-jason
Old 04-21-2008, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jaysz28
I don't have any info, but nice swap!

Good luck with it

-jason
lol thanx
Old 04-21-2008, 11:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think an F-body shifter will get you closer to the original hole and will allow you to move the engine back due to the difference in the mounting position on the trans.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kingsize
I think an F-body shifter will get you closer to the original hole and will allow you to move the engine back due to the difference in the mounting position on the trans.
So far the motor is not in the finally position so i will have to wait b4 i get the fbody shifter. Im gonna make the hole bigger and shifter the motor around some more

Old 04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

it must be a shifter issue cause your the first i have seen that the shifter went past the 240's stock hole. my swap came from a f-body. you have to come back some more cause after you put the radiator in you arent going to have any room for a intake.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Teching In

The goat shifter sits farther back than the f-body get the fbody shifter and then you will be able to move it back far enough. Make sure u push it far enough back for the sway bar. The first time i did my mounts for mine in a s13 my sway bar wouldnt fit, and I just did a cam swap so I redid everything so the sway bar clears now.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fouz65
it must be a shifter issue cause your the first i have seen that the shifter went past the 240's stock hole. my swap came from a f-body. you have to come back some more cause after you put the radiator in you arent going to have any room for a intake.
How much did you beat your tranny tunnel and where did you focus the beating???

Originally Posted by manman
The goat shifter sits farther back than the f-body get the fbody shifter and then you will be able to move it back far enough. Make sure u push it far enough back for the sway bar. The first time i did my mounts for mine in a s13 my sway bar wouldnt fit, and I just did a cam swap so I redid everything so the sway bar clears now.
Welp we just laid the motor into the car so far nothing is finally nothing is welded
Old 04-22-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

i went back about a inch behind the seam in the tunnel. my sway bar didnt clear in the end. everything looked good and then when the engine went in for good and the suspension dropped from the weight, it hit the oil pan. if i went back another 1/2 inch i would have been fine.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:36 AM
On The Tree

Glad to see you're doing the swap. To answer your question about the sway bar, I did have the same problem as you're having now. I had my OEM sway bar lengthened bout 2 inches on both sides to allow it to fit. This is only a temporary fix as the torsion rate of the bar has changed. Another ls1->240 installer on this forum (daftdrifting) used a Nascar sway bar custom setup. I'd recommend something that like because without one the rear end will be more than happy to show itself out of corners hehe... unless that's what you want (drifting stuff).

From what "manman" stated concerning the shifter location I think that's interesting to know. Doing what he stated would be beneficial for you if you had the engine sit as far back as possible. This will allow the car to want to rotate rather than understeer through corners.

Looking at this picture the oil pan is waaaaaay far forward compared to my swap. The back of the oil pan fits into the cutout of the subframe. Going with a different shifter as "manman" stated should give you more clearance.

Also, are you using spacers between your subframe and chassis? From the looks of it I guess you've hammered your firewall to give the transmission clearance? I opted not to touch the firewall or tunnel and use spacers, but there's several ways to approach the swap.

Last edited by mmdb; 04-24-2008 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Damn man, I'm jealous of the progress.
My guy flaked on me, so no LS2 for me, and I had to settle for LS1.

But now that you mention the shifter issue, GTO shifter looks like

notice that how its set back vs the camaro shifter
Old 04-24-2008, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SirWarrior
Damn man, I'm jealous of the progress.
My guy flaked on me, so no LS2 for me, and I had to settle for LS1.

But now that you mention the shifter issue, GTO shifter looks like

notice that how its set back vs the camaro shifter
Damn that suck welp atleast you'll be doing a swap....I ordered a pro 5.0 shifter kit from the f-body so it should take care of the location issues.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Hey I recently got a ride in Nuffboost's RB powered 240SX with him at the wheel and holy **** that car is a freakin weapon, at least with him driving, I can't imagine how yours is going to run. I hope you keep it stock looking like it does now. Keep on hammering dude. Good luck with the build.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Great progress. I'm a big fan of swapping this motor into the S14s and FDs. I'm in the process of doing my FD swap. Yours is looking awesome.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Okay after a month of bull****ting finally some progress...Once again the rb20 xmember lined up perfect couldn't ask for better placement.

Had to cut a bit to fit the bolt for the pro 5.0 shifter kit

MY hinson driveshaft fit good...pic of unfinished tranny mount

I had both motor mounts from carshop inc so we cut them up and used both the of the together to make a mount and then welded them together....

I didn't order the lever adaptor for my fbody shifter yet the shifter was just placed in for fitment i will be ordering it this week. The motor is in pretty much in its final resting place gonna endup taking the motor out one more time to paint everything and clean up and put on lines for clutch etc. NO spacers we required for my car the hood closes nicely...its close to the power steering res but i may just use the stock 240sx power res to fix that.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

more pics...

Old 05-18-2008, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Hey nice progress. Did you have a chance to see if the front sway bar clears the oil pan?
Old 05-18-2008, 11:49 PM

nice going.

word of advice - take the fuel rail and rotate it 180* so the fuel line is on right side.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mmdb
Hey nice progress. Did you have a chance to see if the front sway bar clears the oil pan?
yes it clears the sway bar now its pretty close thought!

Originally Posted by JayofDestruction
nice going.

word of advice - take the fuel rail and rotate it 180* so the fuel line is on right side.
thanx i will be doing that asap
Old 05-24-2008, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Default updates*

Okay so the shop were I was doing my work the guy flaked on me so I pretty much had to pack my **** up and leave so now the car is in my tight *** garage and im gonna continue my progress here....

I test out my long tube headers today but they rest right on the fuel lines so I gonna have to re-route and run braided lines up from the tank

Does anyone have fuel lines and fittings (-6an)setup with part #s and prices??

Can someone identify this part pictured below please :
1#

2# The part I am holding(what does this connect to), and the small hose in the center of the picture(comes from back of engine it and is connected to the hose that connects to the brake booster).

Quick Reply: LS2 KOUKI BUILD AKA "HEART OF A GOAT" 56k beware**