Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Gen swaps

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen swaps

Can anyone/everyone thats done a 2nd Gen swap please post up pics or any helpful tips/sites to research on. I'm trying to get a house so modding the '00 would be slim to none. So I'm in debate of selling and buy the '79 off my dad as a project... we've had it for to long to just let it go

Thanks
Nick

Please I need some convincing.... I'd love to have a 2nd Gen LSx swapped ride

Heres the one I would buy

Last edited by SmokinHot98; 06-03-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some of mine, enjoy!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

I saw your earlier browsing I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have any pics of your build? Or just more pics in general

Last edited by SmokinHot98; 06-03-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Default 79 Ls1

Save your self allot of time and money.

My 79 is for sale.

$20,000.

It's a great swap. 20 mpg on the highway.

E-mail me with any questions on the swap or the car.

Jim B
Attached Thumbnails 2nd Gen swaps-79-camaro.jpg   2nd Gen swaps-camaro-ls1-002.jpg   2nd Gen swaps-camaro-ls1-003.jpg  
Old 06-03-2008, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JIMB

My 79 is for sale.

$20,000.

Jim B
Nice car!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

My 79 is for sale.

$20,000.

Jim B
You have a gorgeous car, man. But I owe on this one and so I'm trying to eliminate a payment to put more money in my pocket.

GOD I LOVE YOUR CAR!!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Default 79 Ls1

It will be the fourth summer on the car and it runs great.

Starts at the turn of the key and never has been any problems.

The LS1 fits like the second gen is made for it. No oil pan mods. Just motor mount adapter plates. The 4l60E trans bolts up only having to move the cross member back one set of bolt holes. Headers are Edelbrock for 4th gen Camaro. Griffin radiator. Spal fan.

The only reason I am selling is I want build 63-67 Corvette with a LS engine.

Jim
Old 06-03-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

So you can't mod the 00 but you'll have the time and space to build a car from the ground up?

FWIW, I love my swapped 2nd gen, too.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OldSchoolFormula
So you can't mod the 00 but you'll have the time and space to build a car from the ground up?

I love you car also. You see more camaros than birds with a ls1 in it. Its unique.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
I love you car also. You see more camaros than birds with a ls1 in it. Its unique.

I love both your cars! Early second gens are by far my favorite F body and in my top 5 favorite cars ever!
I hope to someday have my car half as sweet as either of yours!
Both have been inspiring me since the first time i logged in at this site!
I also wanna say thanks again tou u two especially as well as everyone else on this site as you have all been totally helpfull and positive!
I posted an introduction in the introduction section it has pics of a few carsz ive built up (body and paint + some mechanical ... also a start to a new begining for my 66 chevelle pro tour project ! (shortened elco frame)
laterz
Old 06-04-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chevelle66
I love both your cars! Early second gens are by far my favorite F body and in my top 5 favorite cars ever!
I hope to someday have my car half as sweet as either of yours!
Both have been inspiring me since the first time i logged in at this site!
I also wanna say thanks again tou u two especially as well as everyone else on this site as you have all been totally helpfull and positive!
I posted an introduction in the introduction section it has pics of a few carsz ive built up (body and paint + some mechanical ... also a start to a new begining for my 66 chevelle pro tour project ! (shortened elco frame)
laterz
Thanks man. There were many on this site that inspired me as well. Alot of really nice people get on here and arent afraid to help each other out. Its nice having this resource. A few years ago I could only imagine how hard this stuff would have been.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Teching In

No prob!
Yes this site rules!
I am spending way too much time on here! lol
4 hours is not enough sleep! I have to go to work have a great day everyone!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Launching!

there's also some good info over at nastyz28.com , performanceyears.com , transamcountry.com
Old 06-04-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

I love my '00 but I'm still paying payments on it and so that extra cash, could be saved up and when I have a chance buy a part here and there. There is plenty of things that can be done without spending money right away We have a **** ton of parts for this car, which if I was to just put a SBC and a tranny and do the interior I could drive it. The cosmetics is the main thing though at the moment.

Thanks to all of you that have posted, keep it going
Old 06-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Teching In

My 79 is for sale.

$20,000.

Jim B
City mileage?

What headers and mounts did you guys use? I'm looking at the Edelbrock mounts and headers.

[[EDIT]] Reading answers alot of questions... What mounts did you use with the 4th Gen headers?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

Cam - are you using the ATS bracket for your clutch cylinder? Or did you make your own bracket? I have a hard time justifying $85 for a really simple bracket withotu at least being defeated a dozen times. LoL. About to yank my motor/trans this week and swap in the cammed LS1/T56 that I've had on my garage floor now for 6 months.

As for mounts, I made my own, welded them to the frame. Seemed easier than messing around with aftermarket mounts that interfere with the A/C compressor and allowed me to move the engine back. I used pacesetter headers and modified the collector.

2nd gens really do make good LS swaps, I daily drive mine about 200-250 miles a week or so when going to school. I get anywhere from 17-21 MPG depending on how I drive it, it will do 23-24 highway if I drive the speed limit, with the A/C on. I'm sure it would do better if I optimized the tune for the exhaust system.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Cam - are you using the ATS bracket for your clutch cylinder? Or did you make your own bracket? I have a hard time justifying $85 for a really simple bracket withotu at least being defeated a dozen times. LoL. About to yank my motor/trans this week and swap in the cammed LS1/T56 that I've had on my garage floor now for 6 months.

As for mounts, I made my own, welded them to the frame. Seemed easier than messing around with aftermarket mounts that interfere with the A/C compressor and allowed me to move the engine back. I used pacesetter headers and modified the collector.

2nd gens really do make good LS swaps, I daily drive mine about 200-250 miles a week or so when going to school. I get anywhere from 17-21 MPG depending on how I drive it, it will do 23-24 highway if I drive the speed limit, with the A/C on. I'm sure it would do better if I optimized the tune for the exhaust system.
Yea, I broke down and took the easy way out. I did the Ats bracket without even attempting to make one, I know slacker. I made my own motor mounts from the stock 2000 camaro stands. I was like you, I wanted to be able to use the stock ac compressor bracket. I also used the pacesetter headers. They really worked with on some minor tweaking. My car with the torquer 2 cam got a best of 22 on the highway, and get around 18-19 in town. I dont know what it will do with the Trex in it. If I dont like it I will tune it down some with efi live. What cam is the other motor that you are putting in?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Yea, I broke down and took the easy way out. I did the Ats bracket without even attempting to make one, I know slacker. I made my own motor mounts from the stock 2000 camaro stands. I was like you, I wanted to be able to use the stock ac compressor bracket. I also used the pacesetter headers. They really worked with on some minor tweaking. My car with the torquer 2 cam got a best of 22 on the highway, and get around 18-19 in town. I dont know what it will do with the Trex in it. If I dont like it I will tune it down some with efi live. What cam is the other motor that you are putting in?

I know you did all the swap yourself ... did u do the body and paint too?
Just curious!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chevelle66
I know you did all the swap yourself ... did u do the body and paint too?
Just curious!
I did all the body work and my dad sprayed it. It was painted 7 years ago and is starting to show its age. I did all the paint and body work on my s10 I had a few years back, I even sprayed it. Here is a pic of it.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

Just a little TR224. The way fuel is, Im thinking Im going to leave the 3.08's in and see how it drives. Think it works out to be 1450RPM@70. LOL. Be able to hold 1st till 60, assuming I pull 6600 RPM.

I thought about using the stock stands as well but had no idea what I'd do with them as they are too tall in stock form? Being cast, I didn't see much use otherwise with them - curious what you did?

I also did my paint and body, though its really been beat up the past few years of DDing it. Dings, dents, etc. Still looks good going down the road though.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen swaps