Sponsored by:

Choosing the right LSX engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Choosing the right LSX engine

Hey guys,

I recently just joined up on this site. I am trying to do research on which engine I should get. It is really between either a LS1 or a LS2. The only thing is, I don't know if there are any real minor differences that I need to look at, within each of those LS engines, or if they are all relatively the same.

I am also unsure of where is the best place to purchase a crate engine, with
tranny.

Not sure on what the budget is yet for an engine with tranny. However, if I can get something between 4-5k, that wouldn't be too bad.

I would also like to be able to purchase an engine that is already slightly built, to make 500-600hp out of the box.

I tried searching, but I didn't come up with much. However, that could be because of the search terms I was trying to use.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

-Don
Old 08-21-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

You can get ls2 GTO dropouts all day long for that price, i don't know about built ones.

Best place for crate engines is crateenginedepot.com or one of the forum sponsors on here like Scoggin Dickey.

Last edited by themachasy; 08-21-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out Texas Speed(the links to the right of the screen). They have some pretty nice engines there. Check out their strokers.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you buy it from your local chevy dealer shipping is free. Find a neighbor who works at a dealership and you can even get a discount on the price. That's what I did.

But your budget rules out a new motor. And your horsepower goals rule out a stock pull out also. You could easily quadruple your budget to do everything you need for that kind of HP.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

on the average $1k-2k for used LS1, $2k-3.5k for used LS2 (may or may not including accessories).. $1200-1500 for a T-56. You can achieve 500hp or 450rwhp with a cam if you buy a LS2 (all bolt-ons plus tune), if you want that same hp level from a LS1 it will take performance heads with a cam (all bolt-ons plus tune).

so, actually for that hp level you want, go with a LS2 with a cam. sell the ls2 intake and get a ls6 intake or FAST. so your budget might end up being with this around 3.5k for this setup plus another 1.2k-1.5k for a t56 or 1.8-2k for a M12 t56 (GTO trans).
Old 08-22-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This site has some more realistic prices for an LS1 + t56 pull outs

http://stores.ebay.com/Fparts_LS1-LS...erLinksQQtZkm?

Add to that the price of a fuel system, headers (cause the stock manifolds may not fit), exhaust, mounts, guages, wiring, driveshaft, intake plumbing, cooling, fluids, filters, gaskets, nuts and bolts, beer.

Then of course you want to get that 500 to 600 HP to the ground, so suspension, diff, tires, subframe connectors or other type of body stiffening.

And used T56's never fail, the accessories that come with the engine will just fit and not need to be replaced, you won't break anything, nothing will need to be welded or notched, you won't find any rust during the swap, you won't be tempted to paint anything or chrome anything, you won't buy any parts you can't use, the $400 cam won't add to much to the budget. Besides all of that stuff the budget above sounds about right.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all of the help and info guys. The budget is not set in stone. I don't mind spending more to get the power. However, I would like to do it as efficiently as possible, and do it right the first time.

All of this will be going into an E36 M3.

I haven't even taken a look at the transmission options out there. What is the difference between the T56 and the T56 M12 transmission?

I have also decided that I don't mind just swapping in a stock LS2, and building up later, for more power. Who knows, I might just be happy with the stock power for a while. At least hopefully long enough until I can put together more money to start really building it.

It'd be nice to build the engine for more power, before it gets put into the car. However, I rather spend the money doing it correctly, then to try and squeeze as much power out of the engine as I can, with the budget that I have.

thanks again for all of the help.

-Don

Last edited by Don Nguyen; 08-22-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Don Nguyen
Thanks for all of the help and info guys. The budget is not set in stone. I don't mind spending more to get the power. However, I would like to do it as efficiently as possible, and do it right the first time.

All of this will be going into an E36 M3.

I haven't even taken a look at the transmission options out there. What is the difference between the T56 and the T56 M12 transmission?

I have also decided that I don't mind just swapping in a stock LS2, and building up later, for more power. Who knows, I might just be happy with the stock power for a while. At least hopefully long enough until I can put together more money to start really building it.

It'd be nice to build the engine for more power, before it gets put into the car. However, I rather spend the money doing it correctly, then to try and squeeze as much power out of the engine as I can, with the budget that I have.

thanks again for all of the help.

-Don
You're going to have diff bolt and rear subframe issues before then. Be really careful when putting drag radials on E36s. I sheared my diff bolts in my e36 with nearly stock power. Like others have said, get a drop out from an f-body or GTO so you can just bolt it in with all the accessories and go.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

The car is never going to see drag radials.

I may get a differential support brace for the car though, since it seems to be a common problem.

-Don

Quick Reply: Choosing the right LSX engine