Sponsored by:

Recomendations on Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recomendations on Radiator

Guys,
Have used brass Walker 'Z' series radiators in the past with excellent results.

Unfortunately, the cost of brass/copper has gone sky high. You can now buy 304 SS tube cheaper than equivelent copper!

Anyway, Griffin aluminum radiators are about 70% of the cost for an equal Walker.

Never used Griffin and don't know much about them (or aluminum radiators in general).

Any experiences or insights (good, bad or other). BTW, this is a stock height (un-chopped) '32 Ford (w/LS7 & T-56) application.

Thanks in advance!
Jon
Old 08-24-2008, 05:02 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe griffen is OVERALL deminsions and not tank.
they are also epoxy style end tanks. i know some folks are picky and dont prefer it.
i had one of their universal radiators for 2-3 years without any issues.
check into the jegs brand as well. you may save a buck or two.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I don't know about where you live, but around here if you have a problem with an aluminum radiator, there's not alot of places that can fix them. For that matter there's not ALOT of radiator shops left anymore, but it seems the ones you do find are more willing to repair a copper/brass radiator. Just my $0.02!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know about repairing aluminum, but they make great radiators. If you can find one at a price you like, I'd go for it. I picked up a Be Cool radiator, it's thicker than stock but still easy to install.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Aluminum radiators are considerably lighter than the brass stuff. They seem to hold up and cool well also. The newer ones have been redesigned to cool better than the old stuff.

From the internet rumors I have read, you need to make sure you mount the radiator with rubber mounts. If it is a direct metal to metal contact with the body you risk rapid galvanic corrosion of the aluminim. The rubber mounts also help prevent cracking like a rigid mount can.

I have read mixed opinions on the plastic side tanks. Seems like all the manufactures are going to them. They make the radiators cheaper to build, but also makes them non-repairable throw away items.

For my car I am using a GM aluminum radiator with plastic side tanks from an Astro van. Fit well in my application and is a proven commodity.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

I used to think what a peice of crap plastic radiator. That was until my 1993 truck went 10 years & 285k before that plastic cracked. The same radiator shop that fixes my brass 1965 radiator fixed the new one even cheaper,faster, and easier than the old one. I don't think you can say they are just throw away.

These days I'm saying what a peice of crap plastic intake. Hope I eat my words on it too someday.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using one from a 94 camaro with the electric fans. They are the thickest cored 4th gen radiators. They also lined up perfect with 99 fbody hoses. I figure if one breaks i can get a new one very cheaply but i dont see it breaking any time soon.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a good link on aluminum radiators. Says the aluminum is stronger allowing the radiator to be built so the overall efficiency is better than an equivalent copper brass unit.

http://alumorad.com/about-all-aluminum-radiators.html
Old 08-26-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by pillboxesghost

Any experiences or insights (good, bad or other). BTW, this is a '32 Ford (w/LS7 & T-56) application.
This is the problem. Your not going to find a plastic tank, inexpensive radiator for this car, so just throwing away a broken one and getting another one is really not an option here. This radiator is tall and mounts on two small brackets mounted with springs, and two rods that run from the top tank to the firewall (slightly different if using a three piece hood though) and the whole thing tends to "move around" alot. newer cars that the radiator mounts to a core support are ALOT sturdier, so you don't have to worry about things cracking as much. There's a reason they stopped mounting radiators directly to the frame, because it dosen't matter how much you reinforce the frame, the radiator will still move. I've had them crack from the stress when the really get some miles on them.

Quick Reply: Recomendations on Radiator