Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in a second Gen F-body - looking for info

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in a second Gen F-body - looking for info

Hey everyone, I have been considering this for a while (LS1 in an 81 trans am) but I am finally looking into it. so right now I am just looking for more info and costs. so how much is everything going to cost, what are some recommened companies, and ones to stay away from? a main consern of mine is the wiring, are there companies that make "plug and play" harnesses? what have people that have done a conversion like this used for a rear end? brakes? suspention? I'm just trying fo figure out if i want to do this or just put a carb. engine in the car

Thanks in advance
Shawn
Old 10-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Teching In

anyone?
Old 10-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Hi Shawn,
I am working on a swap to a LS1 for my Camaro 1972. I have a new Fatman subframe (not a necessity), so probably we have a different starting point.
As far as I understand, you need adapters for the engine mounts. www.BRPHotrods.com has those and also a new cross member for your tranny. You probably need a new oil pan, since the LS1 will hit the cross member. I do not have that problem with my new subframe. I have also ordered a set of headers from BRP. Most headers will not fit under the Gen 2 body.
When it comes to wiring, I am studying everything I can find on that subject, and will hopefully be able to give you some more news later on. I have bought an HP Tuner instrument, because you will need to disable some functions of the LS1 PCM and to change some parameters, so you better equip yourself with good stuff. I am convinced I can modify the engine harness, but there are also new harnesses available out there for some $800.
These are a few things to consider when swapping.
Let me know if you decide to continue with the LS1 swap, so we can exchange some experiences.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

I'm trying to start doing some research on this swap. I'm trying to talk my dad into swapping a 6.0 truck motor into his 70 1/2 split bumper. I've have read a few different things concerning oil pans. Which pan can be used on a 2nd gen? Does it just depend on which motor mount kit you choose to go with? We have an f-body oil pan sitting at home, just wondering if we need to keep it for the swap or if the truck pans work.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

I used a LH8 oil pan with the BRP kit, the pan sits below the front member a bit, I have heard that the FBody pan can work without modifactions with the BRP kit. Might look on Nastyz28.com, they have alot of people who have done the swap on there. I will try and get more pictures of my set-up on my cardomain page, I have listed everything I used for my swap.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by shawn_s
Hey everyone, I have been considering this for a while (LS1 in an 81 trans am) but I am finally looking into it. so right now I am just looking for more info and costs. so how much is everything going to cost, what are some recommened companies, and ones to stay away from? a main consern of mine is the wiring, are there companies that make "plug and play" harnesses? what have people that have done a conversion like this used for a rear end? brakes? suspention? I'm just trying fo figure out if i want to do this or just put a carb. engine in the car

Thanks in advance
Shawn

Edelbrock Carb'd kit is nearly plug n' play, especially if u use a stock cam'd motor and use their Performer RPM LS1 intake kit, ours was pretty easy even with its large cam, we used the Victor Jr. set-up, just needs some fine tuning on a dyno to get it spot on
Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
Edelbrock Carb'd kit is nearly plug n' play, especially if u use a stock cam'd motor and use their Performer RPM LS1 intake kit, ours was pretty easy even with its large cam, we used the Victor Jr. set-up, just needs some fine tuning on a dyno to get it spot on
If i end up doing this i was going to keep it a fuel injected motor.

anyone else have any more info? I'm going to look at a car tomorrow morning
Old 10-17-2008, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

In my '73 I'm using Edelbrock swap plates and headers... nice stuff!!! I had the BRP kit but sold it. It cost way more than it's worth in my opinion and the oil pan hung too low for me... just wasn't for me but I know alot of people like it.

I'm also using the stock engine harness but I won't have to convert it to "stand alone" because I'm also using a 4th gen. dash, instrument cluster, steering column and forward lamp harness. You can buy aftermarket stand alone harnesses or you can send your stock one out to be converted. It's not too hard to do yourself though if your up for it.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

My LS1 Bandit (i.e., 78 TransAm with an LS1) just hit the road for the first time! Some photos here:

http://www.ls1bandit.com/g2_embed/v/...e/first_drive/

Unfortunately I'm short on time, so my answers are brief.

I used ATS parts for the engine plate adapters, engine mounts and clutch mount plate. Using the ATS parts I didn't need a different oil pan or cross-member. Just rotate the existing cross-member and it all works great.

For the wiring harness I used Speartech.

For the fuel tank, I used a custom Rick's Hotrod tank.

For the a/c, I basically ditched it and replaced it with the American Graffiti a/c delete box.

Radiator, a nice aluminum dual-fan one, but I forget which one - I'd have to look it up.

For the TachChanger, I used a Terf.

For the Speedo Changer my plan was to use a Terf, but he still hasn't finished building it yet. I've been waiting for over 2 years for it, and he just keeps saying "soon". So I'm going to have to look elsewhere.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

For the TachChanger, I used a Terf.

For the Speedo Changer my plan was to use a Terf, but he still hasn't finished building it yet. I've been waiting for over 2 years for it, and he just keeps saying "soon". So I'm going to have to look elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Who's terf howdid that tach work for you?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaro Ken
Who's terf howdid that tach work for you?
Terf:

http://www.terf.com/

The TachChanger has been working great.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

I also have a 78 trans am with an ls1 and John at Speartech did my harness.I just hooked up the tach wire from my speartech harness to my orginal tach and it works great.I am running a4l60e transmission and used a different tail housing setup that allows me to use both the gear driven speedo to run the stock gauge and a rotor an a sensor to run the computer . Got the tail housing setup from jagsthatrun.com. A little pricey but it works great.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm using brp mounts and the f-body oil pan, it does not hang below the subframe. the truck and hummer one will.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Default what springs

I just had my 72 converted from an old iron block 400/TH400 to a LS1/4l60e. What did you guys do to lower the front end. Mine came up about 5 inches from stock. I just put in hotchkis 2" drop springs for a 350 with no AC and no PS. But it only came down about an 1 1/2. I was hoping for much more since I went with a spring that is 4 inches shorter than stock. Did you cut your factory springs, use drop spindels, use drop springs, left it as a motorboat, used a combo?

Quick Reply: LS1 in a second Gen F-body - looking for info