Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to hookup factory ac to 5.3 swap? 75 k10

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to hookup factory ac to 5.3 swap? 75 k10

Hey guys. My truck came with ac, but my motor has no compressor or anything on it. I'm lacking most to all components from factory, besides the condensor that was harder for the prior owner to rip out.

I have a complete running 2001 suburban that is gonna be my donor.

What from the new 5.3 and suburban can I use on my truck? And what other component . Might i be lacking, or have to buy to keep this big hunk of steel cool?
Old 01-29-2016, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

for a 75 truck I would check out air heat kits from like vintage air or whom ever else you can find. Be better having new components and probably the easiest. I have C-10 squarebody and have everything. Im using the newer short pump on Holley bracket kit. Mounts on passenger head which works well as it was already on that side. Bracket is pricey. If junkyard is what you want to do I would go to 87-91 suburban as everything is newer than yours pretty much same install.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I put the whole A/C out of a 2003 in the factory firewall box in my blue 72, which is kind of similar the the older square bodys. Worked good, but was a lot of work. There are pics in the build thread in my sig.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I put the whole A/C out of a 2003 in the factory firewall box in my blue 72, which is kind of similar the the older square bodys. Worked good, but was a lot of work. There are pics in the build thread in my sig.

Shoot, I think I just killed about an hour reading your build
How did you control it? Did you make the factory controls work with it? Same 72 blower motor?
Was the biggest mod you had to do just cutting and mating the 2 boxes together?
Old 01-30-2016, 08:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Cameron Hill
Shoot, I think I just killed about an hour reading your build
How did you control it? Did you make the factory controls work with it? Same 72 blower motor?
Was the biggest mod you had to do just cutting and mating the 2 boxes together?
Yes, I used the 72 controls and the 72 blower motor. I didnt have it PCM controlled because it was an 03 and at the time there wanst a way to do it. With your 01, I would wire it just like the factory Silverado, I did that on my rusty green truck and it works great. And yes, the putting the two boxes together was probably the hardest part.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Yes, I used the 72 controls and the 72 blower motor. I didnt have it PCM controlled because it was an 03 and at the time there wanst a way to do it. With your 01, I would wire it just like the factory Silverado, I did that on my rusty green truck and it works great. And yes, the putting the two boxes together was probably the hardest part.
How would I wire it that way? Just find a pin out and put wires into something else? Or take the actual controls out and put em in my truck?
I appreciate the help]
Old 01-30-2016, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

How would I wire it that way? Just find a pin out and put wires into something else? Or take the actual controls out and put em in my truck?
I appreciate the help]
Leave your original controls in it. That will control the blower motor. There will be a wire that originally went to the A/C compressor, this will go to the A/C request wire coming out of the PCM. This way whenever you turn the A/C on, the 12v will go to the PCM, and it will turn on the compressor. To wire it you will need a schematic for the 01 truck. It has a high pressure switch on the back of the compressor and a low pressure switch on the low side line coming out of the evaporator. I have the schematic and can post it if you need it.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:34 PM
Teching In

I have the schematic and can post it if you need it.

Yes please. Post it here or message me, whatever works
Old 02-05-2016, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Yes please. Post it here or message me, whatever works
Sorry man, I totally forgot about posting the schematic but here it is now.
Attached Thumbnails How to hookup factory ac to 5.3 swap? 75 k10-2004-express-van-ac.png  
Old 02-08-2016, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are running a 75 A/C setup then you will have a VIR. I would suggest that you look into a newer evaporator so that you can use the orifice tube setup. The 77 on truck evaps should fit. If not you can convert it to a orifice tube setup but it about $100 so I would just go with a new evaporator. Use the condenser from the burb. If it does not fit then a newer S10 is a good choice. You will have to make custom hoses due to the English/Metric differences but the old R12 condensers do not work properly for 134 setups. The last part is I would use the factory compressor setup and make that work. Follow the wiring guide LS1nova sent you. Basically all A/C control panels from about 75 until about 02 are the same with the A/C request coming from the panel depending on the setting. I used a S10 condenser, variable compressor, newer nova evaporator, S10 accumulator tied to custom hoses wired as a newer vehicle. The setup works like it should and blows 40 degrees at idle on a hot day. The S10 accumulator was metric but I rethreaded it on the evaporator side so that I could use a newer style accumulator. I also used a new liquid line with no adapters at all. The liquid line is metric but the threads are almost identical to the English threads on the evaporator and it works fine. Just a note here the S10's used both variable and fixed compressors so you have 2 different liquid lines and accumulators to choose from depending on which one you want to run so you will have a choice.

BTW it was LS1nova71's truck thread that gave me the idea to do it this way. I went from a vintage air to this because I hated the VA setup it is not nearly as good as a factory setup. My variation was to keep the factory box and make that work instead of redoing it with the evaporator that came with his donor vehicle

Quick Reply: How to hookup factory ac to 5.3 swap? 75 k10