Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Considerations when looking at a vert ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Considerations when looking at a vert ?

I'm not too familiar with verts and suspect looking at the condition of the actual convertible material and glass, functionality etc is important. I was wondering if anybody had any tips on anthing particular to look for ? Specifically going to look at a 98 WS6 Trans Am Vert later today. Any tips would be appreciated ! Thanks.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

There are so few 'vert owners you can almost hear the crickets.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the top opens good, doesnt leak, rear window isnt ripped/loose
Old 06-11-2014, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mean87SS
Make sure the top opens good, doesnt leak, rear window isnt ripped/loose
.. and the threading is all visible, not worn out or frayed. It should not be an issue with a low mileage car.
The latches at the front should be effective, tight fitting, and not loose. The top must be 'snug' at the seals.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes I agree to all of that!
Old 06-18-2014, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Always remember....the car will always leak somewhere. It's the price you pay for owning a vert. I have owned several, and they all leak right on my crotch lol.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also make sure the door gaps are uniform, and the doors open and shut easily. If not this could be a sign it's been beat on, or wrecked.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HISS
Always remember....the car will always leak somewhere. It's the price you pay for owning a vert. I have owned several, and they all leak right on my crotch lol.
Can't agree with you there. Mine does not leak and never has since I bought it new off the showroom. My GT 'vert doesn't leak either. It's all in the upkeep and maintenance. Now If I spray the hose nozzle at the rubber stripping, which I have done on occasion, yeah, the water will work it's way through.
IMO, American convertibles are light years ahead of the European counterparts. I owned both a 2002 BMW and a 1995 911 which both leaked. Nothing I could do to stop it. Not only that but they were still using plastic back windows while American cars had glass. Pretty bad for cars that cost way more than my $33k T/A.
My old convertible family is shown below. Interesting to see what car I still own. Click the photo a few times to enlarge if you like.
Attachment 456680

Last edited by NC01TA; 10-03-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine leaks on both sides top of window right in the middle. i called a shop and they said there is some adjustment they can try before replacing. a friend of mine has owned lots of camaros and says thats common. i have 71k milage , stored winters. ps mine just started leaking slightly 2 or 3 years ago. ps2 you florida guys have much more humidity , i believe the dry conditions are hard on the rubber over time.

Last edited by DANOZ28; 06-18-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
mine leaks on both sides top of window right in the middle. i called a shop and they said there is some adjustment they can try before replacing. a friend of mine has owned lots of camaros and says thats common. i have 71k milage , stored winters. ps mine just started leaking slightly 2 or 3 years ago. ps2 you florida guys have much more humidity , i believe the dry conditions are hard on the rubber over time.
Yup right where mine leaks. My miata leaked in the front, my mustang leaked in the front even after replacing all the top seals and top, my 69 dart leaked at the front, and the t tops on my 79 z28, and my 300 zx both leaked.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 235 Likes on 186 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by HISS
Always remember....the car will always leak somewhere. It's the price you pay for owning a vert.
But those T-top cars NEVER leak.

Fact is, rear glass issues aside, there are fewer places for a 'vert to leak than a t-top car.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed a t-top leaks more than a vert. Mine does not leak at all under normal rainy conditions but I have had to tweak the seals especially when it was rather new. It will leak a bit going through a car wash.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Stains and creases are one sign the top has seen it's share of use or "down" storage. The cleaner and smoother the better. Ideally, the owner of the car you are going to look at kept the top up nearly all the time. Some owners in nicer weather states often leave the top down while in the garage (hence more wrinkles). I'd also be aware of how quickly the top raises and lowers. It should do so smoothly with both sides lifting about equally. An unequal lift might be a sign of air in the system or one hydraulic lift cylinder leaking by the seals. The hydraulic motor should be quiet enough. Latches should be easy to operate and tighten snugly. Over time latches can loosen up or loose some moving parts.

Just be aware of flexes and rattles when test driving the car. A car that wasn't beat on much will be much tighter feeling and sounding. Some older tops may not seal as tight as others where wind will make the top billow up somewhat. So make sure you take someone along with you or have the current owner do a drive-by at speed.

Overall though, you probably have a lot more to worry with the rest of the car than just the top condition/operation. I'm sure if you Google convertible tops and their servicing/operation you'll find plenty of information to help you out. I've had 3 verts and 3 ttop cars. Can't recall that any of them leaked.

http://usedcars.about.com/od/thetest...rtibleTips.htm

Last edited by Firebrian; 07-25-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One other thing I would look real carefully at is the
drains at the front of the top-well. They are rust prone
and tend to get full of crud, stay wet and rot. Long
enough, and you can get drain water in the cabin.
I vacuum mine out every couple of months and have
hit them a couple times with POR-15 and still the rust
breaks out. You can see down into the area with the
top folded partway down, fully down it gets tougher
to see & reach.

Mine leaks only at the trailing door window edges at
high speed and heavy rain. And touchless car washes
(lesson learned).

Quick Reply: Considerations when looking at a vert ?