Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Top Pump Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Top Pump Problem?

I have a 95 Firehawk convertible and the top suddenly stopped working correctly yesterday.... perfect top down weather and now it decides to break... at least I can lower it manually, but it still angers me!

The top does not go up or down very well. It takes a long time for it to move most of the time or occasionally it does not move at all when I press the top up or top down button.

Also, with the pump engaged (the **** on the pump turned on) I can raise and lower the top by hand easily (well just as easily as if the **** was turned off).

I checked the pump fluid level and it was a tiny bit low (at the bottom line) so I added a little, but no change at all.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the pump work when the switch is pressed?

What did you do to manually open/close your top? I recently purchased a Convertible Camaro and when I unlatch the top it doesnt seem like it wants to go down. I orderd a new switch because following the schematic, I wasnt getting results when it was pressed. I wasnt sure if they could be manually opened, or if something had to be disconnected first.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Teching In

yeah the pump definitely sounds like it is operating, just doesn't seem to be pushing or pulling hard enough....

I'm just wondering if the pump is starting to die....

but yes when the top is unlatched, I can just push up on it and it will move to the point that it goes down.. same with raising it
Old 05-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Try to bleed the lines, check the Sticky on Caring for you Convertible, i'm pretty sure it has a step by step. Good Luck!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input, but I have tried what he says on the maintenance area. Mostly on accident while trying to figure out what the problem is, I attempted to raise and lower the top atleast 10 times. Occasionally it would work, but for the most part it would fail....

Last edited by 95CameronHawk; 05-09-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Convertible Pump Bleeding Procedures

Notice

When servicing the hydraulic system, perform the following precautions:
  • Leave the folding top raised but unlatched from the windshield header. This will keep the cylinder rods extended and minimize fluid leakage.
  • Do not allow the oil level to drop below the lower indicator line on the reservoir, or pump damage may occur.
  • In order to avoid part damage during the bleeding procedure, verify that the cylinder rod does not touch any body components or the folding top when extending.
  1. Open the rear compartment lid and remove the trim from the left rear side compartment.
  2. Remove the left rear seat side trim panel in order to gain access to the left cylinder. Remove the right rear seat trim panel in order to gain access to the right cylinder.
  3. Remove the cylinder from the outer arm (1).
  4. Remove the cylinder from the main pivot bracket (2).
  5. Position the cylinder so that the cylinder rods (3) will not touch any body components or the folding top when fully extended
  6. Remove the reservoir filler plug.
  7. Remove one pink hose (4) from the pump motor and place the hose at the reservoir opening.
  8. Using a rubber plug, such as a snug-fitting vacuum fitting cap, seal the open pump fitting.
  9. Push and hold the UP button on the convertible top switch. After the cylinders are fully extended, continue to press the switch until the hose being bled is free of air bubbles.
  10. Install the pink hose (4) to the pump/motor.
  11. If the fluid level is low, add ten-weight SAE oil to the reservoir.
  12. Repeat the bleed procedure for the other cylinder.
  13. Install the reservoir filler plug.
  14. Install the side trim panel to the rear compartment.
  15. Rotate the pump bypass valve fully clockwise (¼ turn) to the Open position.
  16. Install the cylinder to the outer arm (1).
  17. Install the cylinder to the main pivot bracket (2).
  18. Install the trim panel to the left rear seat. Refer to
  19. Rotate the pump bypass valve fully counter-clockwise (¼ turn) to the Closed position.
  20. Cycle the folding top up and down several times in order to verify the hydraulic system operation.
  21. Install the side trim to the left rear compartment.
  22. Close the rear compartment lid.
Attached Thumbnails Top Pump Problem?-convertibletopcylinder.jpg   Top Pump Problem?-pumpfillline.jpg  
Old 05-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Teching In

SWEET! Thanks, true bleeding procedures!

I'll do that this weekend and see how it turns out.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, yesterday my new switch arrived. solved the intermittent pump problem.

My top still would not move (has never worked since I bought the car). So I was going to attempt to bleed the lines. I removed the cylinders (the instructions above did kind of suck in that area) and cleaned the cylinder rods.

WIth the new switch installed and the cylinders disconnected, i was able to extended and lower teh rods via teh switch. I was also able to now drop teh top manually. I put everything together lubing the pin that goes through the top of the cylinder and it all works great now. didnt even have to bleed teh system. lol.

Did you try it yet?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Teching In

I was working on it last night.

I didn't get a chance to even attempt to bleed the system. After I pulled the car apart to get access to all of the components, I found the problem.

One of the rod ends on one of the cylinders was broken. Unfortunately I was not able to find a replacement at the dealer today, apparently they don't sell just that part... have to buy the entire cylinder. Which really sucks.

Does anybody know where I can buy just that threaded on part?

If not, I am planning on fabricating one up out of steel soon....
Old 05-15-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

check ebay. There are people parting out convertibles on there. I just bought a used pump assembly as it was so cheap and I figure I'd rather have it in case I need it then to have to go out and buy one when it is needed.

also check gmpd and sdpc2000.com for pricing on that cylinder. CA dealers are way overpriced.

Quick Reply: Top Pump Problem?