Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Is GM still goin to make the Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Is GM still goin to make the Corvette?

Just wondering with all this financial mess goin on. Will they still make future vetts, cause I may get one in the future. Thanks
Old 11-10-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont know if it's true or not but I read in a magazine once that GM was thinking of selling off the Corvette brand. Basically making it it's own company. Their stocks took another big hit today dropping to a 60 year low. Some analyst's are predicting that GM shares will go to zero (lol thank god I sold mine a while back)

Anyway, dont know if your looking to buy new, but that wouldnt stop me from buying one.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

I imagine as long as there is a Chevy there is a corvette.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z50won
I imagine as long as there is a Chevy there is a corvette.
And therein lies the quandary. GM is not looking too good right now. They've already reported that GMAC is folding their mortgage division and that Delphi may not emerge from their Chapter 11.

The next few months are going to be very difficult for GM. Vette may survive a GM bankruptcy, but it may not be a GM vehicle anymore. Dodge already has its Viper division up for sale.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by corvet786c
Is GM still goin to make the Corvette?
Yes
Old 11-12-2008, 01:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been reported (on corvetteforum) that the C7 is pushed back until at least 2012 possibly 2013... and who knows how it would emerge with the CAFE emission standards that will effect the engine/power choices during it's production run...

There is sound proof that the current C5/C6 is the best you will see.

I was about to buy GM stock just a few weeks ago, and after seeing what just happened.... (even though $70 is now sub $6) I'm not sure I want to invest in THAT!? What's going on in this world?

On a patriotic side note:
One things for sure... I'm never buying an imported television, microwave, car, ANYTHING if there is something AMERICAN I can choose from even if it costs more.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:42 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
One things for sure... I'm never buying an imported television, microwave, car, ANYTHING if there is something AMERICAN I can choose from even if it costs more.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was about to buy GM stock just a few weeks ago, and after seeing what just happened.... (even though $70 is now sub $6) I'm not sure I want to invest in THAT!? What's going on in this world?
Well, if it makes you feel any better, GM's stock fluctuated 6% today. From $4.33 to $4.42.

Nancy Pelosi and Obama have both proclaimed that the so-called 'bailout' will also assist GM. Think about it. GM constitutes over 500,000 jobs in the US. If those people don't have a place to work - the long-term tax dollars to support them would far outweight any proceeds they could use to bail them out.

I'm not a fan of the bailout, but as long as the Obama administration keeps their word, I think we'll see GM around for a while.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard rumors that GM may be looking into a V6 model of the C7's when they come out
Old 11-12-2008, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
I heard rumors that GM may be looking into a V6 model of the C7's when they come out
While a V6 twin turbo (or supercharged) could be nice it won't necessarily offer any more fuel efficiency than we have now (mine has gotten 31mpg at a steady 65mph on the highway).
If it's going to have to be an NA V6 then I'd rather just see the car die.

Buy V8 Corvettes/Camaros/G8s/Mustangs/Challengers etc right now while ya still can people.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by prochargedchevyi
Well, if it makes you feel any better, GM's stock fluctuated 6% today. From $4.33 to $4.42

You sure? I believe its still in the $3 range, up from a low of like $2.75 yesterday (Wed) I believe the high for the day was $3.58. Lol I watch the stock market alot, as I have quite a bit invested (lol well, less now )
Old 11-13-2008, 06:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
You sure? I believe its still in the $3 range, up from a low of like $2.75 yesterday (Wed) I believe the high for the day was $3.58. Lol I watch the stock market alot, as I have quite a bit invested (lol well, less now )
http://www.nyse.com/about/listed/lcd...tml?ticker=GPM
Old 11-13-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
While a V6 twin turbo (or supercharged) could be nice it won't necessarily offer any more fuel efficiency than we have now (mine has gotten 31mpg at a steady 65mph on the highway).
If it's going to have to be an NA V6 then I'd rather just see the car die.
Oh i realise that. My car with mods and power in sig got 33mpg on a 220 mile trip up to Northern MN and the same on the way back. I went to Sturgis SD a couple years back with it and got 32mpg average there and 31.5 on the way back They are only looking to do that for the CAFE standards. basically it'll likely have a rating of better mileage than the V8 version(even if it's not really the case) to keep the fleet in check
Old 11-13-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by prochargedchevyi
Hmm, well that is GPM. Check this out (GM)

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=gm
Old 11-13-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I applaud and join your Patriotism, but adhering to it may be difficult, as almost no TVs (and major electronics) are made here-Curtis Mathes is the only TV maker left, and I believe their components come from Asia. I, too, pay more for American, but we need to be careful and be demanding as well, as the quality needs to be better than the competition if the price is higher.

GM will probably get its requested bailout money, and make the wise decison to keep the Corvette in its line-up, http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...3Jw&refer=home, but a few issues with this:

1) If GM is forced to go Chapter 11 route instead, which the airlines were forced to do, they can renogiate with the unions, which most will argue, along with poor products, has lead to their demise
2) Dems and the Prez-elect are pushing strong for the Auto Bailout, they should, as they receive a very disproportionate amount of campaign money from Unions, and if this was not done, and say Obama lost Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania in 2012, he could not win re-election

Buy American, hold the companies to a standard, and we should all be okay!
Old 11-13-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Dont know if it's true or not but I read in a magazine once that GM was thinking of selling off the Corvette brand. Basically making it it's own company.
That was the Viper.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

I heard!!! Gm was going to create a Corvette Brand to create extra value in the name. Aparently there would be a few models of corvette and they would be free standing dealerships or another division of existing dealerships. They were hopeful to earn the european business... Something similar to Caddy.... At this point they are in a world of hurt!

On another note the demise of GM can be directly related to greedy Union management... I am blown away they pay some guy 30/hr to stamp parts in an assembly line. Far too much!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
That was the Viper.
Lol im pretty sure it was the Vette. It was in some Corvette magazine.

Quick Reply: Is GM still goin to make the Corvette?