Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Gear Ratio For M6 C5

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Ratio For M6 C5

Anyone Have There Gears Replaced In There C5. What Upgraded Ratio Have People Found That They Like Best. I Hear Its A Good Upgrade, And Where Have People Had Them Done. Any Info Would Be Appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-18-2003, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

read here:
http://mikemercury.home.att.net/342.htm

The more radical in rear gearing you go, the less traction you will have. I have a friend with the 4.10 in a MN6 coupe. At the dragstrip he launches in 2nd gear... and that's with non-runflats !!!!! He can't control the wheelspin in first gear (in an all-out racing type launch).

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 11-18-2003 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd say for "most" people, a 3.73 setup would be a great balance between drag performance and highway cruising. But, it seems quite a few of M6 guys are going to the 4.10s cause of the lil bit quicker punch they get vs the 3.73s.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would recommend a greater backround check for information. I recently drove my buddies 417 rwhp vette doctors heads and cam with 4.10 gears.

I found it extremely civilized and would highly recommend this setup for your C5.

If you had a C5 Z06 with its M12 six speed I would recommend 3.90 rear gears.

I have chosen the 3.73 gears because my friend who had changed from 3.73's to 4.10's had them available for a great price as they were in his basement.

If you have a m6 Coupe or convertible. I strongly suggest 4.10's.

Go over to www.corvetteforum.com and ask over there for a larger base of respones. I believe you will find my suggestion valid.

With labor the installation and purchase should cost approximately 1100 dollars. Thats what cartek charged in their last special promotion and they do excellent work.

Of course being in a different part of the country you would need to have someone near you do the installation so the rear gear differential pumpkin should cost you approximately $700 ..and another 4-7 hours labor to install with someone that has done this before and is experienced..

I believe most corvette tuners charge approximately 400 for the labor.

Go 4.10's on a coupe or convertible unless your going totally nuts with the heads/cam and/or supercharging.

Like I said my buddies 417rwhp coupe was extremely civilizied and in fact felt extremely similiar to my 3.73 Z06.

HTH
Old 11-19-2003, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with JBsZ06 that a car with 4.10 can be made somewhat civilized. To do this you just can't stop with the gearign change alone. It's a combination or tires, shocks, and sometimes springs that get the traction to the ground.
On the street and just running through the gears... that envirionment is much more forgiving.

I can tell with certainty that a C5 with 4.10 gearing... using first gear in a racing type launch will (mostly) just smoke the tires unless other monies are spent - up and above the rear gear upgrade. Even those runnng 3.73's report that run-flat tires are useless in 1/4 mile launches and replace them with lower-mileage-rated - softer compound non-RunFlats.
It's certainly not "wrong" to go to such radical gearing; just realize that additional upgrdes will need be done to get the amount of traction necessary to take full advantage of said radical gearing.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did forget you guys with stunning Corvette coupe or convertibles might be running runflats on the C5. That might be an issue to contend with. They have minimal sidewall flex due to the runflat capability.

They would probably spin on launches very easily.

Sorry about that. (It didn't dawn on me as I would figure that would be a very early mod on a coupe or convertible. Changing tires would be an excellent mod even if you decided on Falkens for 550 dollars for all four.)

I changed the runflats out on my 1999 C5 coupe and the change in the car was dramatic but the michelin pilot sports in C5 sizes still did spin like crazy off the line at Englishtown and that was just with a 3.15 rear gear ratio..

I remember thinking when I drag raced that Automatic air filter/exhaust/pcm 12.88 et @ 109.5mph C5..I should have gone to larger Z06 sized Mallet rims/tires both front and back like my buddy with the heads/cam has.

By going to these rims and non runflat tires you will also drop 24.5lbs of unsprung weight. Which is most valuable in handling and braking performance and much like gaining imho 7 to 10 hp due to the weight loss being rotational mass.

I think changing out the wheels and tires would be a very cool mod..and with all the Z06 guys going to other sized rims..you might consider buying that as a cool relatively inexpensive mod. (or go even larger for a few more dollars) I don't like reproduction rims because of the weight.)

A very cool idea if you don't like the stock color of the Z06 rims is to high polish them. I believe 2001 Z06 rims are forged which makes them an excellent choice to high polish. Costs about 400 for the set to be high polished at www.fixrims.com throughout the country.

Last edited by JBsZ06; 11-19-2003 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't waste your time with 3.73 the're so close to feeling like the stock gears.Everybody I know that had 3.73 spent the money twice on install to go with the more punch of the 4.10's.This is with a 6-speed of coarse.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

there is one step between the 3.73 and 4.10... the 3.90.

Quick Reply: Gear Ratio For M6 C5