Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

OBX Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default OBX Headers?

Do you guys have any thoughts on the OBX headers, any dyno results before and after being installed? Time reductions? Exhaust odor inside the car?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got some people that love them, then the majority think they are garbage.

IMHO, i'd get a used set of LG Pro's or ARH's and be done with it. yes they are expensive but if your driving a vette get used to the $ mods.

tons of dyno results on LG motorsports website. although i definitely think those shown are on the "extreme" end of usual gains
Old 09-13-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
IMHO, i'd get a used set of LG Pro's or ARH's and be done with it. yes they are expensive but if your driving a vette get used to the $ mods.

that **** right there is why stuff cost twice as much for a vette than a fbody, cause people pay twice as much for something that isnt any better than the reasonably priced stuff........everyone slams on ss autochrome stuff but i have owned a set of fbody headers from them and they fit fine and i will have to say that the welds looked great......for about a 1000 dollars cheaper than the lg's.......would be willing to bet that there is less than 5 hp difference between the high dollar brands and the ssa's or obx's...........hell i dont know who wouldnt spend a thousand bucks for 5 hp....what a bargan..

im gonna order the obx's for my car this week..................i would just like to know what makes the lg's,kooks, arh, and dynatech headers worth the money they sell for? does someone have a reasonable answer????
Old 09-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ALL UC2
i would just like to know what makes the lg's,kooks, arh, and dynatech headers worth the money they sell for? does someone have a reasonable answer????
While I do agree that vette mods are for the most part overpriced...however; a portion of what you're paying for with those name brands is quality control, and a vendor that will stand behind their product.

Having said that, I've heard many people are very pleased with the OBX system, and there's really only some slight fitiment problems...nothing you're local muffler shop can't remedy. Also, yes there will be an increase in odor, as the OBX kit comes with "resonators", not high-flow cats.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

There are a few reviews over on corvette forum.

They are also supposed to adding an option for the 00 and down cars as well as an option of cats instead of resonators.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Put them on my car......other than drilling the midplate to run 02 lines...fit great, as well as any headers Ive installed...

Havent had the car returned yet...sounds good
Old 09-14-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So the current design does not fit 00 and below cars? When will the option for cats be available? Can a muffler shop replace the resonators with high flow cats?
Old 09-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

they do have an option for the 97-00 now
Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

I wasn't aware the option was available now, but I haven't looked in awhile.

Yes a shop could replace the resonators with cats.

If you are on CF, PM "c5 Bears Fan" he is the obx dealer and has been getting group buys and such together, he could tell you the timeline for the cat availability and it very well be available now if the older cars option is available.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Banned

Default Spend wisely.

i would just like to know what makes the lg's,kooks, arh, and dynatech headers worth the money they sell for? does someone have a reasonable answer????
Ready to be informed?

The reason the American stuff costs more is because they spend the countless hours designing, engineering, getting the fab companies (if they aren't a manufacturer) to gear up, INVESTING before they see dollar number $1.

The cheaper chineazzze knock-offs simply takes a proven design and copies the pipes (not perfectly) using cheap sweatshop (slave) labor.

The OBX design also makes you hack holes on your tunnel plate to fit your O2's, includes cheap hardware that need to be replaced with good stuff from a hardware store before a clean install is possible, and doesn't currently have an option to buy cats, so your car (and you) will smell like gas everywhere you go. Not to mention that you have ZERO support from the company if you need advice or have an issue with them.

The headers are a copy of FLP (except for the O2), if you buy the FLP cats you are a little over $1000 anyway.

The OBX catback is a copy of the Borla Stinger except that the drivers side hangs inches low and the US vendor (he's the one who made the compaining post on corvette forum) can't get ANY help from the importer (OBX)

You can always buy a used set of quality American made headers cheap if you keep your eyes open on the Corvette forum for a week or so. Or you can put some fried rice on your Corvette.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Launching!

^ thank you.

its your $ and you can spend it how you want. thats why i said 'IMHO i would'. personally i didnt buy a 30k$ frc to strap some chinese headers on it. to me that matters, others couldnt care less. BUT IN THE END, there is no doubt the LG and AR headers are a better product backed by support and proof. is that worth the extra $ to you is what you have to ask yourself.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

well, could you tell me why there is many companies that can produce headers for a fbody for around 500 dollars but for a vette they have to charge 1000???? im not knocking the quality of the big name headers, cause i know they are great, but just dont see how they get off charging so much for them.......
Old 09-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

texas speed sells a kit that comes with longtubes and xpipe for around 699 or 799 that i think i might go with you should check out their website www.texas-speed.com
Old 09-16-2009, 02:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that **** right there is why stuff cost twice as much for a vette than a fbody, cause people pay twice as much for something that isnt any better than the reasonably priced stuff........everyone slams on ss autochrome stuff but i have owned a set of fbody headers from them and they fit fine and i will have to say that the welds looked great......for about a 1000 dollars cheaper than the lg's.......would be willing to bet that there is less than 5 hp difference between the high dollar brands and the ssa's or obx's...........hell i dont know who wouldnt spend a thousand bucks for 5 hp....what a bargan..

im gonna order the obx's for my car this week..................i would just like to know what makes the lg's,kooks, arh, and dynatech headers worth the money they sell for? does someone have a reasonable answer????
I agree. Corvette Tax is BS.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

The texas speed ones look good but just an FYI, they also tell you to drill out tunnel plate.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=689&catid=45

"We do recommend drilling a hole in your tunnel brace for proper routing of your oxygen sensor wires"
Old 09-18-2009, 09:13 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had holes in my aftermarket plate for my LG's on my '99.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah i just seen the tsp ones the other day.....think i am gonna go with them instead......anyone know where they are made at? Probally gonna get ahold of them

Quick Reply: OBX Headers?