C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 vs. Fbody

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 vs. Fbody

For you guys that have gone from an LS1 Fbody to a C5 or vice-versa:

What do you see as the pro's and con's for the two?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wrote this in another thread. It just about covers everything. But if you have questions... I've had 2 Trans Ams (97 and 2002 WS6), 2 C5 Z06s and I drive around my dad's 2003 convertible a lot. This quote is mostly about the interior differences between F-body and Corvettes. But coming from a driver's prospective, this is pretty much the most important part.

As for performance and ride quality, performance is easily matched with an F-body using the right mods. But I don't believe you'll EVER get the ride quality of a Vette in an F-body because of physical limitations like wheel base and weight.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/15154418-post58.html

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
As for comparing the interior of a C5Z to an F-body, I have to say there's honestly no comparison. The only thing the F-body has on the Corvette interior is a change holder! LOL

The feel of every control and button in the C5Z is better. Everything's more solid. There's a lot less hard plastic molded items and more of a sculpted feel. Although, I have to admit that even some of those "sculpted" items can feel cheap at times.

The windows are faster going up and down. The smaller doors are REALLY nice when getting in and out of the car in tight areas. The steering wheel feels about the same, but the tightness and feed back in it is a lot better.

The radio is the same shitty DELCO garbage. It's possible that the Pontiac's MONSOON system may be better than the standard BOSE that they stick in the Vettes, but I could care less about that kind of stuff. When I play MP3's through the stock system, it sounds good enough to me.

The automatic climate control is ******* amazing. Because of the smaller cabin, the AC and heat work better as well.

The seats in the C5Z are awful. I preferred the seats in my 02 WS6. But I'll live with them for now.

In both of my C5Zs and in my dad's C5 Vert, there's no rattles. My 02Z had 32K miles, my 03Z currently has 35K miles, and my dad's vert has 80K miles. No rattles in any of them. I will say that I had a rattle before, but found out (for whatever reason) my passenger side sun visor clip was loose. I tightened it up and no more rattle. However, I had an 02 WS6 with no rattles when I bought it with 29K miles on it. After 20K more miles were put on it, it had a ton of rattles. My 97 Formula was rattle city. You can *HEAR* the Corvette is simply more solid.

The gauges in the Corvette seem more refined. There's no cheap feeling when looking at them like you get with the F-bodies. Seems all F-body gauges look cheap and they're very slow. In comparison, the Vette gauges are much faster and more responsive. I'd guess that they're also more accurate, but I don't know that for sure. I'll have pull out the GPS next time I go over 100. As far as accuracy under 100MPH, they're exactly on point with both GPS's I tested them against at the exact same time. The F-body gauges had similar results, though, under 100MPH.

The Vette's DIC is pretty cool. A lot of useful information (and a lot of **** I'd never use). But the biggest win for the DIC system is that you can check and clear your codes. What I love most is that I can monitor my oil temp. I don't like to beat on the car until the oil temp is at least at 150*. Having that gauge in the DIC is just awesome. But a big draw back to the DIC is that it tells you stupid **** when you least need it. Right now, since I haven't put any fluid in my window washer reservoir in a while, it's bitching that it's low on window fluid. But it does it 5-10 minutes into my trip, so it comes on while I'm still watching my oil temps... LOL I have to hit reset every time it comes up. Like I give a **** about window washer fluid.

Another big win for the Vette is truck space. There's a LOT of trunk space in the C5Zs. It's actually quite surprising. Although, I'm pretty sure that it's made so you can fit a walker and 3 packs of depends in the trunk. The F-bodies don't really have a lot of usable trunk space. It has a lot of space, but in funky shapes. LOL The rear hatch cover thing where you store the T-tops is cumbersome. While it's a nice place to put **** when you're not storing your t-tops, once you put your t-tops in, you lose more than half your trunk space. Obviously with the C5Z you don't have that issue. But even with the targa top on the C5s, you don't lose that much space.

One of the most noticeable differences in the interiors are the buttons. While I've already covered this about the control feelings, I have to say that going from those hard cheap plastic window and lock buttons on the F-bodies to the soft rubbery buttons on the Vette is quite nice. Also, you get auto-windows for both sides of the car, rather than just the driver's side. (That's something I never quite understood since the driver would still need his hand on the window button to roll down BOTH sides of the car. LOL) Also, the way that the auto-window roll down works is completely different. With F-bodies, you hold the button and it rolls down automatically about 1/4 of the way already down. With the Corvette, you just tap the window down button and that's it. You don't hold your finger on the button at all.

F-bodies don't have a memory function, which if you never had it in the first place you'd never miss it. But I love the memory function on my car. There are actually 3 users that can use the memory functions. The thing is that people think the memory is just for the seat and mirror position, but it's not. It also remembers your radio settings (like presets, volume, EQ settings, etc) as well as your AC/Heat settings (where you left the auto point, what mode, etc). That's pretty nice considering that you don't have to **** with all that all over again when someone else drives your car.

And of course, there's the HUD. Interestingly enough, I noticed that the 5th gen Camaros have a HUD option, but after looking at their HUD I realized how cheap it looks. I'm a little confused why they did that. The C5Z's HUD is pretty nice. Visible at all times of the day and even with my polarized sunglasses, I can still make out what it says. I know people that HATE the HUD, but I hate driving without it!

I think that about covers it.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks SCM Crash!

Anybody else with more performance comparisons?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

it depends on if your going for a "regular" C5 or a C5Z honestly I would say stock C5 vs Fbody there vary close and would be a drivers race I had a 01 C5 coupe with B&B bullets and ran nose to nose with an 05 GTO and beat a 98 trans am so there very close. Now my C5Z on the other hand is way faster than my little modded C5 (LT's/no cats, CAI, bullets and tune) and beat my friends cammed SS so I would say performance wise the Z all day everyday
Old 09-13-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The driving experience of a C5z compared to an F-body is totally different. Shedding the bulky feeling of an F-body along with hundreds of pounds weight and having a car that holds it composure in a turn is a very rewarding experience. It takes a fair amount of mods to get an F-body up to the level of a stock 04 Z. Overall the interior is nicer too. The seats may not be world class, but still better than a Camaro.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
Thanks SCM Crash!

Anybody else with more performance comparisons?
I think its pretty black and white performance-wise, the C5 Z06 obviously crushes an Fbody in ever direction, stock for stock.
The big question is what do YOU want to do with the car? Do you want to drag race? Auto-x? Just a fun street car?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Heads And Cam LT1 F-car as well as a pretty stockish C6. To me, my F-car is like a trailer trash hottie, it's really only fun to be around if your breaking the law. Other wise it's rude, obnoxious and poorly mannered. C6 you can live with every day and have fun. Just have to appreciate each car for what it is, what it was built for and go from there. If it's a daily, your not going to regret a C5.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
The driving experience of a C5z compared to an F-body is totally different. Shedding the bulky feeling of an F-body along with hundreds of pounds weight and having a car that holds it composure in a turn is a very rewarding experience. It takes a fair amount of mods to get an F-body up to the level of a stock 04 Z. Overall the interior is nicer too. The seats may not be world class, but still better than a Camaro.
This is the perfect way to sum it up. Almost no body roll, even turning with excellent feedback, smooth acceleration and braking with no dog nosing. It's just totally different.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Going from a modded 99 TA to a modded 02 Z felt like going from a boat to a race car.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

How does the repair/mod cost compare on the vettes?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, it's kind of relative. Corvettes are built better. I know that sounds like BS, but it's true. All of our Corvettes have been far more reliable than our F-bodies.

HOWEVER, there are a lot more quirks that can come up with a Vette than an F-body. Lots more electronics/computers, more ground points, more complicated everything actually. For instance, my active handling module went bad, so I had to have it repaired. In that time I didn't have ABS, Active Handling, or Traction Control. On the flip side, it only cost me $150 to fix it.

All things considering, the parts don't cost more for a Corvette over an F-body, but there's just a LOT more parts. So there's definitely more to go wrong.

I'm sure I'm rambling because I'm watching Family Guy at the same time I'm writing this, but I'm also sure you get my point.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
How does the repair/mod cost compare on the vettes?
Go check out prices to mod. You get the Corvette tax on everything, that would suck. Just compare exhaust for example...
Old 09-17-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

i have an H/C LT1...i love the car, but IMO my C5Z is more refined..but, i still have that killer power when i need it..

my biggest thing is the MPG....my corvette is amazing on gas... i love taking trips in it..

and i have never had someone say... "wow a pontiac trans am"...but, i have seen that in my corvette..
Old 09-17-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
i have an H/C LT1...i love the car, but IMO my C5Z is more refined..but, i still have that killer power when i need it..

my biggest thing is the MPG....my corvette is amazing on gas... i love taking trips in it..
Stalled auto vs M6, did you really just make that comparison?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Go check out prices to mod. You get the Corvette tax on everything, that would suck. Just compare exhaust for example...
That's not true, actually. The only things with a Corvette tax are Exhaust items and seats. Everything else is about the same. Think about it... Heads, cam, motor mods in general... They cost exactly the same. There's also a lot of things that are cheaper for Corvettes than F-bodies.

Like I said, it's about even between the two. Exhaust is stupid expensive, I have to admit, but if you don't buy new and you buy used, there are good deals. I just got a set of $1500 headers and x-pipe for $500.

Mufflers are stupid expensive for C5s, but C5 Z06 exhaust flows better than the aftermarket stuff and you can get a set of titanium Z06 mufflers for $400...

Really, seats are the big issue. C5 seats suck and there aren't many aftermarket options that don't cost a mint because of the size of the seats. I felt my 2002 Trans Am seats were better, but they don't fit, and hardly anything does.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

and i have never had someone say... "wow a pontiac trans am"...but, i have seen that in my corvette..

I don't own a Corvette, so I have never seen that. I do own a 01TA, and I have heard that before.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard "Wow! A Corvette!" once when I had my Trans Am. LOL Kid didn't know the difference between a Corvette and a Trans Am. Came out, spotted my car and made a big deal about it being a Corvette to his dad. LOL

I didn't say anything. But my friends and I had a good laugh.

But it's true, I get "Nice Corvette!" a lot. Both of my Corvettes got a lot of looks and thumbs up.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F-body guys will recognize and show props to another nice F-body. Rare for the general public to notice. A lot wider group of people notice my vette and comment on it. It's much more of a conversation starter than when I had a Camaro.

I bought the car for me and my mods are for speed, so being flashy wasn't a factor in my decision. If you're single, the flash factor might be a consideration.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with the above. Although, I have to say that when I had the Electron Blue Z06, I had to beat the girls off with a stick. LOL
Old 10-18-2011, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
F-body guys will recognize and show props to another nice F-body. Rare for the general public to notice. A lot wider group of people notice my vette and comment on it. It's much more of a conversation starter than when I had a Camaro.

I bought the car for me and my mods are for speed, so being flashy wasn't a factor in my decision. If you're single, the flash factor might be a consideration.
I guess you F-body guys don't know about the Corvette waive. I never got that much with my past F-bodies. All I ever got were other muscle cars trying to race me.

One thing about a Vette to consider is the respect factor. I have not had one person try to race me, since I have had mine running for the past month and a half. My roomate just sold his 02 Formy, and we could find a race anytime we wanted in that. I do have to say, I can see how my car would be a little intimidating.

You get the Corvette tax on everything
The Corvette tax is on aftermarket. I have replaced my clutch master cylinder for $46 for the part, and my rear axle for $70 for new parts. My labor. There are a few parts that are getting hard to find that are kind of pricey, but it's not as bad as you think for repairs.

Also, everyone is talking about Z's, but IMO even the base model is way better then a F-body too. Dont get me wrong I love F-bodies, and still have one. The F-body is a great weekend warrior/drag car. It's raw and in your face. The vette is a amazing street/track car that can hold its own at the drag strip.

Quick Reply: C5 vs. Fbody