Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Need opinions on buying a used '07 Vette with high miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need opinions on buying a used '07 Vette with high miles

I am kicking around the idea of buying a 2007 Vette 6-speed with 100,000 miles on it (one owner car). The car is BONE STOCK, with the exception of the battery, including the paper filter and the factory clutch. It has NEVER been modded in anyway, the owner has all receipts for oil changes / air filter changes from the dealer it was bought from. The car is now on the 3rd set of tires and has NEVER been to the track or driven hard. He had a 70 mile highway roundtrip commute to work, so the mass majority of miles are highway and this is Florida so the roads are SMOOTH...unlike the rest of the country. And...No, the guy isn't pulling a fast one on me. I test drove it and when I did a roll-on 2nd gear pull the guy was scared out of his mind. I really don't think he has any idea what over 4k rpms feels like...

This is truly a best case scenario used Vette to buy in my opinion and SUPER clean in person, a couple tiny rock chips but otherwise extremely clean in/out.

My use would be a daily driver in South Florida, probably 20K miles a year (at most 25k) with that being 80% hwy. The only mods would be intake/exhaust, shifter, and a new clutch when its ready. I am very confident wrenching on Ls series motors so if something did go wrong I could fix it myself, saving labor cost.

So, with the given info...would the miles bother you? My experience has been that Ls motors are EXTREMELY reliable. Do not take price into account, simply miles and reliablility. Post any info that's relevant, such as how many miles you have on yours...etc

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 AM
TECH Addict

If all the owner has had done is oil and filter changes I would pass with that many miles. There is much more to maintenance on a car than an oil change.

You are interested in performance having said you are going to change out the intake and exshaust so find an 08 or newer. More potential with the LS3 engine.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't buy that car unless it was less than $20K. You can find a really nice car with the upgrades you want if you cruise corvette forum for a little while. I saved myself an easy $70K (mods + used price vs new) on the Z06 in my sig.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry
If all the owner has had done is oil and filter changes I would pass with that many miles. There is much more to maintenance on a car than an oil change.

You are interested in performance having said you are going to change out the intake and exshaust so find an 08 or newer. More potential with the LS3 engine.
I agree.IMO too much miles.08 or above.good luck.

btw nice times on your sig.too bad we dont have a track anymore.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the private party price at Edmunds or Cars.com There will be a calculation for options and mileage. A high mileage commuter could be a good deal if you accept things can and will fail due to the use.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Not really sure what your budget is but I browsed corvette forums classifieds for months along with other car sites until I found my '08 in GA for 29K bone stock. It will take a little patience but I would wait it out.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Pass on it and find another.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

I wouldnt be scared of it if the price is right. There are 300k mile vettes out there. Just make sure you are comfortable with the car. Most vette owners are purists that dont work on their cars, and are scare of anything with miles/salvage/rebuilt titles, or anything that isnt stock and low miles.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on buying a used '07 Vette with high miles