Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

test drove the first C5 in my quest, got ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default test drove the first C5 in my quest, got ???

It was a 99, auto, 90k miles, asking 18.9K.

It had a few rattles, lol. On my 2000 formy, the EGR valve dumped back into the intake manifold right behind the throttle body. Also the EGR was located on the passanger side front of motor.

1st issue: I didn't see the EGR valve at all, and no tubing behind the throttle body. I would assume this is an LS6 intake. Would I be correct? This was not standard from the factory. If not, please educate me.

2nd issue: It had a heads up display installed. It worked, but that was not a factory option for that year. Should I be conserned?

3rd issue: I was going to ask them if the Column lock malfunctioned or had it had the bypass done, but 2 miles into the trip the "service column lock" waring came across the driver info center, lol. How expensive is this to fix? Would chevy cover it?

4th issue: 6 miles into the trip the "service tire mon. sys." warning came across the driver info center, lol. What is the cause of this? How expensive is it to fix?

I forgot to mention we had to jump it off, lol. the battery was dead.

i think i will stay away from this car, but how much do you think it's worth "as is"? 1999 C5 tan color, auto, targa top, the interrior was O.K., the exterrior was really good. it had brand new tires.

The dealer gave me a number, i just wanted to see how close.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by circusboy
It was a 99, auto, 90k miles, asking 18.9K.

It had a few rattles, lol. On my 2000 formy, the EGR valve dumped back into the intake manifold right behind the throttle body. Also the EGR was located on the passanger side front of motor.

1st issue: I didn't see the EGR valve at all, and no tubing behind the throttle body. I would assume this is an LS6 intake. Would I be correct? This was not standard from the factory. If not, please educate me.

LS6 was factory on the Vette I think 2001 and up, so its likely an LS1 intake

2nd issue: It had a heads up display installed. It worked, but that was not a factory option for that year. Should I be conserned?

My 99 Vert has it, it was an option...

3rd issue: I was going to ask them if the Column lock malfunctioned or had it had the bypass done, but 2 miles into the trip the "service column lock" waring came across the driver info center, lol. How expensive is this to fix? Would chevy cover it?

Mine had the recall done and it still acts up, I even added the CLB it I still get the DIC message from time to time...its kind of our CORVETTE HELL

4th issue: 6 miles into the trip the "service tire mon. sys." warning came across the driver info center, lol. What is the cause of this? How expensive is it to fix?

Likely the batteries are going or gone on the tire sensors, I forget what new sensors cost I want to say $40-$90 per tire, check out the sponsors who deal in Vette parts. Or, Maybe they need to recalibrated, its not that hard just put a big *** magnet next to the sensor on the tire and follow the DIC instructions, move to the next sensor with the magnet as you go

I forgot to mention we had to jump it off, lol. the battery was dead.

i think i will stay away from this car, but how much do you think it's worth "as is"? 1999 C5 tan color, auto, targa top, the interrior was O.K., the exterrior was really good. it had brand new tires.

The dealer gave me a number, i just wanted to see how close.
Beer
Old 08-01-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No C5 engine ever came with the EGR system on it. That is the reason why the C5 LS1 has a slightly different cam than the F-body LS1, because the C5's cam has an EGR function built into it's profile.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:27 PM
KFK
On The Tree

I think the tire sensors are part of the factory valve stem and if it has new tires the tire shop probably tossed the "old" stems.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

That seems a little high priced to me.

Also unless I knew the prior owner I would wonder about the HUD, if they actually programmed the right mileage back into the cluster.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. No vette had the EGR system.

2. 99 was the first year that the HUD was an option. Odds are it was there from the factory, but if it wasn't, it's VERY possible that the cluster is still the original as most 99's had the plug on the cluster.

3. I bought my 99 from the original owner who approximately 2 weeks after selling me the car got a letter from GM stating that the car would be covered for column lock until Feb 07 I believe. If the column isn't locked, spend the $50 and get the CLB from a vendor.

4. Probably a failing tire sensor. Aparrently the life expectancy of the sensors is 6-7 years from what I hear.

I think that's too much for that car though. My 99 cost me $20K with 53K miles on it back in May, private party. Your BEST bet for buying a Vette is private party because if you go to any dealer you're GOING to pay more.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

I wanna puke when I see cream color interior... but if your ok with that.. those problems are very minor.. I would say $17.9k "OTD"...
Old 08-02-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

he came a little more than 3K off the asking price. i'm not ready to buy just yet and i think i would rather the M6
Old 08-02-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by circusboy
he came a little more than 3K off the asking price. i'm not ready to buy just yet and i think i would rather the M6
Do yourself a favor and DO NOT settle on something like this. Hold out for what you WANT, even if it takes a while.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I settled on the formy. I will not settle again. This was my first time in a c5. I’ve driven a c4 before. I really like the ergonomics of the c5 and it was pretty quick, lol. I think you could drive all day in that car.

Quick Reply: test drove the first C5 in my quest, got ???