Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

salvage title C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default salvage title C6

okay, so maybe I'm stupid posting this here cause I'm advertising people bidding against me, but I value your oppinion. I found a wrecked c6 on ebay and am thinking about making it my next project. I'd like an oppinion of whether I'm stupid for wanting to do this or what. I've bought a wrecked car before, but that was an 85, and the wreck was all cosmetic. This seems to have some frame damage and I've never dealt with that before. I know that's not going to be cheap to fix, and something I can't do myself. Can you please take a look and see what other questions I should be asking?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-Co...QQcmdZViewItem

Other thoughts... I could have the body shop put on the Z06 stuff while they're replacing parts anyways.

Thanks guys...
Old 08-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Just wondering but do you have any pics of the wrangler. And go for the vette if the price is good it just harder to resell
Old 08-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not quite done yet, but I should be able to get some finished pix in the next couple of days. I'm having a brake booster problem at the moment. How the heck I broke that thing when I took it out is beyond me. I don't wanna post pix until I get it all lookin pretty. Maybe I can get that done tonight... either way, I'll post pix here when I'm done.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd never buy a Vette with frame damage. There is quite a bit of fiberglass bonded to the frame in various areas, and you know that stuff can't be 'pulled back to spec'. It just cracks. The hydroformed rails on the C6 are also very tough, doubt those could be pulled back either.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Pictures are kinda dark and backed away from the car, but from the looks of it it's mostly cosmetic damage (body panels) with slight front and rear impact bar damage....both easliy replacable. But without inspecting every inch of that car i wouldn't buy it for much more then what it's going for now. Just my $.02.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

so basically you guys are saying that if I'm serious about it, I need to fly out there and take a first hand look. If I see that something is really bent on the frame then I need to pass. Otherwise, obviously if there's nothing wrong with the frame, then I could do the rest of the repairs reasonably myself right?

Thanks again
Old 08-07-2006, 02:34 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

or, you could look up a mobile inspector in the area of that car. Pay him a fee to go check the car out and give you a professional appraisal on the damage. Might be cheaper than flying out there, plus less time wasted.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Two years ago my boss bought a white '99 C5 from the same seller on ebay and I helped him repair it, there was a LOT of damage that the seller knew about and didn't disclose and when we asked him about it he said "you made your own determination about the damage when you bought it"
The seller "pre-pulls" the frames to make them look not as wrecked and in the case of my bosses car ruined part of it and it cost way more than if they had just left it alone.

You've been warned..

_
Jamie
Old 08-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Teching In

you might want to check out ridesafely.com they are a direct bidder at salvage auctions. look under chevorlet and corvette and they have one right now that is a very light hit, it didn't blow the bags and is all bolt on parts.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

I looked at that one on ride safely. What scares me about that one is that I don't know why the insurance company would have totaled that car. Sure it has body damage, but to total a $40k car for that seems weird. It looks in too good of shape to be true.

Any guesses as to how much $$$ in damage there really is in there? If I can fix it for less than $8-$10k I guess it'd be worth it.

Something else to consider is salvage title. How much does that affect resale value assuming that the damage is completely repaired?

Thanks guys...

Mike

Last edited by Thumper33; 08-08-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Personally i would never buy a car with a "Salvage" title....just too many things one could easy over look during repair. Not to mention repair quality....that's a whole bucket of worms there.

Nope, not for me.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Teching In

i've been buying salvage vehicles since I was in high school, and I'm now 29, i currently drive a 05 jeep that was a salavage rebuild that i rebuilt if you know what you are doing its no problem, the only way to learn is to do it. I've redone over 30 cars and only lost on 2 thats a pretty good percentage, if I had the cash the vette on ride safely would be in my drive way next week. Sometimes (I've done this myself) the owner of a wrecked vehicle can deny the repairs depending on there coverage. you never know the extent of the damage until you actually lay your hands on the car so that's your risk. As for salvage cars ,banks and insurance companies have put the stigma out there that they are awful......bottom line is have someone you trust rebuild it or do it yourself, you'll be fine, my jeep had 2000 miles on it when I bought it and total investment is 10K under the sticker if you drive them you always win!!

just my 5 cents hope it helps
Old 08-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Teching In

my previous thread is just personal experience for you to ponder if you lose on the salvage vette deal, please don't send me a summons for damages it was just personal experience, I just like to get good deals and I've gotten alot of them this way

happy hunting

Quick Reply: salvage title C6