Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

New C5 poster!! A question about headers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New C5 poster!! A question about headers.

I post on ls1tech quite often but always regarding my 1999 Z28. My dad however bought himself a 97 C5 as a Sunday car. His car is due for inspection and is in the market for new headers. The thing is though is that he isn't a big car person. He loves the vette and takes great care of it but he just wants to replace the headers (which have holes in it) with the same stock brand. I cant let that happen

I convinced him to go with an aftermarket setup, and I dont know much about the C5 so i thought i'd get your advice before telling him which brand to go with.

Ground clearance isn't a big issue b/c he is already very cautious with that and we live in a very rural area; but emissions and inspection is a concern. He wants the setup to be emissions legal b/c he gets all his work at the dealer

He also wants a nice rumble but nothing overbearing b/c my mom is a frequent rider and doesn't like real loud noises. Car is currently bone stock.

Sorry about the long post but i really appreciate your help and my dad does also.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

just a warning, there aren't any inexpensive Corvette headers, especially with cats. I'll bet your Dad settles for stock replacement parts
Old 08-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
just a warning, there aren't any inexpensive Corvette headers, especially with cats. I'll bet your Dad settles for stock replacement parts
True statment, no cheap ones that work anyway..
Old 08-09-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Keep the car stock and the niose down so both your mom and dad can enjoy those Sunday drives. You might be able to pick up a set off take off stock manifolds for dirt cheap.

Chad
Old 08-09-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe a nice catback would be a better choice for him rather than headers.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take off manifolds and get exhaust. Best bang for the buck header is the LG Street Series and you looking at $1,000 for the headers and Xpipe and another $200 for cats.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

Well i got him on the idea of that when something breaks upgrade to something better. He is willing to spend some money on it, i told him it would run at least $1000 for new headers and he seemed ok with it. His other option is to spot weld the holes in the header but I think he might as well get something new, and stainless.

Ackattack1, i thought that when he first got the vette before anything needed work but the reason for changing the headers is because they have the holes in them. catback will be changed only when it needs to be.

thanks for your responses and in advance for the future posts
Old 08-09-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by phillyz28
catback will be changed only when it needs to be.
Your kind of fing yourself with doing headers and not doing new exhaust behind them.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Launching!

good set of headers long tube $1,200-$1,600 plus installation another $400-$600 dollars
Old 08-09-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get away with just the longtubes if YOUR TRYING TO KEEP THE NOISE DOWN.

No catback will net the power/torque a proper set of long tubes will give you. No way, no how.

If your looking for a better, more refined sound, do the long tubes, with high flow cats(can't belive i'm typing that)...and keep the stock catback.

If your dead set against the way it sounds after your finished, lemme know, i've got a corsa catback that is quiet as hell sitting in my garage.

If your strapped for cash, also, lemme know. i've got stock manifolds you can have man.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:11 AM
12 Second Club

Look at the TPS (Texas Speed & Performance) headers for the C5... They are around $500-$600 range...
Old 08-10-2006, 03:21 AM
11 Second Club

I personally like my LG pros, but they cost 1800 with the cats and if you do not install them yourself even more. You may want to try and see if you dad can get a used system off a Z06. They are nice sounding perform better and are cheaper than headers.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
You can get away with just the longtubes if YOUR TRYING TO KEEP THE NOISE DOWN.

No catback will net the power/torque a proper set of long tubes will give you. No way, no how.

If your looking for a better, more refined sound, do the long tubes, with high flow cats(can't belive i'm typing that)...and keep the stock catback.

If your dead set against the way it sounds after your finished, lemme know, i've got a corsa catback that is quiet as hell sitting in my garage.

If your strapped for cash, also, lemme know. i've got stock manifolds you can have man.
i was talkin to my dad for a few minutes just now and he was thinkin about the stock manifolds that u have. he was wonderin what shape they are in if you wanted anything for them? also, would u be willing to ship them up to 17067 provided we pay all shipping and handling fees?
i'd much rather for him to get a full exhaust setup from manifold to tips but then again it isn't my car

Last edited by phillyz28; 08-10-2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DarknessC5
Look at the TPS (Texas Speed & Performance) headers for the C5... They are around $500-$600 range...
I like TSP, but there headers are a LG Street Series knock off that is made from mild steel and coated. When I get headers, they will be LG's.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyz28
i was talkin to my dad for a few minutes just now and he was thinkin about the stock manifolds that u have. he was wonderin what shape they are in if you wanted anything for them? also, would u be willing to ship them up to 17067 provided we pay all shipping and handling fees?
i'd much rather for him to get a full exhaust setup from manifold to tips but then again it isn't my car
I don't want anything for them man. Just give me an address and a shipping account #.... and there yours.

They're in good enough shape for free....and to put back on a car that needs replacements cause they're leaking. I'll double check tomorrow, since they are at work.

In the name of performance, I urge you to get some headers, just because the gain is soo worth it.

..if not, just PM me the details,...and i'll ship them whenever.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Corvette and cheap . Not many things are cheap after the Corvette tax is added. Anyways buying headers is like shoes, there are alot out there and everyones brand is the best. I would suggest a LT and Catted Mid Section combo. This will get you LT headers, High flow Cats and an X-pipe that connects directly to the existing mufflers. I opted for the Melrose system with High Flow cats X-pipe mated to the stock mufflers. There is a definite sound difference, but less noise than adding a cat-back. I myslef enjoy being stelathy, even with a Thunder Cam my Vette is slightly louder than stock, which is great for a daily driver. Performance gain will be great. Header only I managed a best 1/4 time of 12.20. Look around in the FORSALE sections of this and other sites for used parts. This can greatly reduce the price you may pay. Only mod that I have done that was purchased new was the Raptor shift light, and I am knocking on the door to 11'9's.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

dealership = scammers or idiots, not sure which one

the holes were not in the manifolds but where the exhaust shoots up over the axle i guess after the H pipe. got it welded up but still looking for a good catback set up

again, its a Sunday car... just for cruisin, no racing, no drag strip no need for an insane amount of hp. want somethin that sounds deeper then stock though, a nice rumble would be nice

thanks again
Old 08-24-2006, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

B&B makes some good catbacks and if you want loud go with the Bullets!!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
True dat!.............. I just passed inspection with Bassini Lng. tub. hedders, Hy-flow cats Big X-Pipe and B&B Bullets for the axcel back!!!!!!!!! Is it loud?????OH, HAAAAYEL YES!!!!! This is the second time Ive passed with this set up!!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Best sunday catback for you is going to be Factory Z06 Titanium. (can't believe noone has mentioned that yet)

now if you want some really good power and sound do your long tubes (i have stainless works) and a catted X pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBqsqOEsxt4

But then i decided i wanted it a HAIR louder, so i gutted my metal matrix cats, so it looks like i have cats, but its really just hollow. And this is what you get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=led1BHu85n4

Quick Reply: New C5 poster!! A question about headers.