C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Popping noice from left rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Popping noice from left rear

Hey guys. Let me know what you think.

I noticed a weird popping noise coming from the left rear of my vette a couple of days ago. sounds like metal poping or hitting each other. I had a chance to look at it today and everything else, everything is tight. Don't know what the hell is making this noise. It is only happens when backing up or coming to a stop completely. Seems like when the car stops and the suspension settles is when it pops. Sounds like left rear to me. When I got home last night I parked the car outside and when I would push down the left rear of the car it would pop, then on the right rear nothing. It would seem like when the suspension of the car would come back up that little bit it would pop. So I pull the car into the barn, and now it won't do it when I push down on the left rear of the car, however the popping noise is still there. When I drive it.

I recently installed a dte trans brace a few weeks ago, but when I drove the car then it was fine. I have not raced it or launched hard at all since I installed the trans brace. I went back to check everything I took off or loosened to to the DTE brace install, everything was tight.

Let me know what you all think. Maybe rear shock???
Thanks to all the reply!!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

i have a similar problem and it all started after i got my clutch installed. it started on the left side and now both do it. i checked and everything is tight. i havent figured out whats wrong.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well at least I am not the only one with a popping noise.

Hopefully somebody can help us out. I also put a post on corvetteforum to see what they say.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

just a suggestion. my fathers 04 z06 had a recall on the lower control arm bushing. well washer.lol
could be it. just a thought
Old 06-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Teching In

i had the same thing after i installed the corsa cat back. it was the swaybay link i tightened it up and the noise went away.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys for the suggestions!!!

I went and jacked the back of the car up again. Checked every bolt and nut on both sides. On the corvetteforum and they said to check the emergency brake stuff also. Checked that stuff too. I found that the left upper shock mounting bolts were not all that tight, not really lose but just enough I guess. Lowered the car back down and no noise since.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

were r the bolts for the shocks i cant even see them
Old 06-03-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by quicksilverz06
were r the bolts for the shocks i cant even see them
You have to jack the car up and take off the rear tires. Follow the shock all the way to the top. There will be 2-13mm bolts. I was able to tighten them with a short 6pt. 13mm socket and a ratchet.