Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Another Cam question tell your experiences

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Cam question tell your experiences

I'm finally ready to get the cam and everything installed but i can't deside what is the best cam to go with in my car... the car has been in and out of the shop lately with a couple of electrical issues but im still going to get the cam installed... i have a 2001 coupe A4 and I just put texas speed long tubes on with and off road X pipe bolted up to my B&B bullets. It sounds really good but now im going for the cam. i am going with a yank 3600 stall, ls2 timing chain, 36lb injectors, ls2 throttle body.. but i haven't decided what cam to go with.. i want one that makes great torque numbers so my question is what cams make the best torque numbers? how do they hold up to the big cam that make more horsepower? what would you recommed for the car to get the best performance thank you for your advice as always
Old 03-21-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I am no cam expert first off, I have built one H/C car. I have however been on the forum a while and read everyones what cam to choose thread and what is the best cam thread. The best performing cam is not always going to be the best dynoing cam. A lot of your high hp dynoing cams only come in up top and you have to constantly spin high rpms to make power. The best cams are cams which make the most power under the curve. A guy with a medium cam that makes power through out the curve will beat a huge cam car that only make power in the high rpm range. I would recommend calling the sponsors and telling them what your goal is, and they will have the right stick for you.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

It also comes down to what your going to be using the car for? Do you plan on changing heads down the road? Do you want a cam that performs well with stock heads in the mean time if so? What NXT said is correct, but different cams for different uses. You have to take into consideration, like streetability, where you want to make power, as well as work well with that stall your going with.

Bottom line, what is the car mostly for, track use, a little bit more of a boost on the street?
Old 03-23-2008, 06:18 AM
TECH Regular

its mostly going to be used on the street and rarely at the track... I want a really good torque cam that makes good power at the bottom end... I plan on doing cam only on this car
Old 03-23-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a comp 224/230 581/581 on a 114 in my T/A. I called comp and told them I wanted a good street cam with nice low end numbers. Also, that it needed to work well with out heads because I did the head swap a bit after the cam. That cam pulled really hard through out the rpm range in my car. It came on hard down low and did not fall. Give comp a call and they will set you up with the right size if you would like to go a little bigger than what I had. My cam was a great performing medium cam and had a great idle lope. I also DD that car with no drivability issues.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhosNXT
I had a comp 224/230 581/581 on a 114 in my T/A. I called comp and told them I wanted a good street cam with nice low end numbers. Also, that it needed to work well with out heads because I did the head swap a bit after the cam. That cam pulled really hard through out the rpm range in my car. It came on hard down low and did not fall. Give comp a call and they will set you up with the right size if you would like to go a little bigger than what I had. My cam was a great performing medium cam and had a great idle lope. I also DD that car with no drivability issues.
Those were along the lines I was thinking about, that or try a reverse split, Thunder Racing's - 230/224 .575/.563 111 LSA.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

yea my car isn't a DD i usually drive it once a week or every two weeks... i def want atleast a 112 LSA so she will rock lol. i was looking at the TSP torqure 2 and the 228R but not sure what will make better power i like the sound of the cam you had in your TA 224/230 581/581 what kind of numbers did it make?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

That car was never dynoed. I ordered a mail order tune until I could get to a dyno, which meant driving out of state. There are not any good lsx tuners here in Nashville. Once the mail order arrived I was blown away by the accuracy of the tune. I had zero drivability issues and the performance was great. So long story short, the car never hit the dyno. I can tell you it was a strong running cam. Once I got the CNC Ls6 heads from tsp the cam really shined.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

yea im going with a dyno tune once the shop installs everything for me.. but im getting the stall, cam, and everything from texas speed im just not sure to go with a big cam or run a small cam that makes more torque and useable power im just trying to see what people have ran and like
Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

I ran a Futral F14 (232 234) in my Z06 for a long time. With just the basic bolt ons and the cam I was making 408 rwtq. The cam worked great for me, and I would definitely use it again. There are alot of people running his smaller F13 (230 232) cam making great numbers.

Quick Reply: Another Cam question tell your experiences