Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C6 Z51, opr C5 ZO6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Z51, opr C5 ZO6?

Going to blow it with nice blower cam, exhaust and basics....

whats better pro's cons?

I am leaning to c6 becasue of new body style..
Old 07-25-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

The C6 will be a much more refined car than the C5Z.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a search...I've seen this exact topic (minus the blower) at least 3 times in the past month. My vote is Z for obvious reasons...more of a race car feel plus I love the FRC/Z06 bodylines over the hatchback.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

I dont understand why people say its more "refined" but I just picked up an 04Z and it is just as "refined" as a c6 as Ive been in both. If you are getting the C6 Z51 then it will be on par with the c5z. Pick the body style you like and dont look back...both are badass machines. Personally, I like the look of the c5z so I went that way...plus its a Z06
Old 07-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

If you get a chance, drive both. I did before I bought mine. It was a tough choice, I loved the C5Z but the looks of the new (at the time) C6 just did it for me. Being you are planning serious mods, it shouldn't matter which you get, the end result will be a very fast Vette.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

C5Z for me, love it and dont regret getting it!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by golfinz
I dont understand why people say its more "refined" but I just picked up an 04Z and it is just as "refined" as a c6 as Ive been in both. If you are getting the C6 Z51 then it will be on par with the c5z. Pick the body style you like and dont look back...both are badass machines. Personally, I like the look of the c5z so I went that way...plus its a Z06

There is no way the 2003 Z06 I owned is as refined as my C6 Z51. Sorry, but I disgree, and I've owned both. This C6 is a luxury car compared to my former Vette.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:19 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is what I wanna know,interior room?
I am a big guy 6ft 2 and 385lbs,I know I know but never the less I have PLENTY of room in my GTO but really want a Vette...How would u say the interior room is in a C5 and C6,I ask this question becuase the GTO has tilt/tele and my rather large gut doesnt even come close to the steering wheel on my GTO.

Would I have enough room at my size in a Vette or am I just wishful thinking..I want and love the looks of a C5 Z06,I think its the nicest body lines of all newer vettes but the C6 coupe is growing on me,I just dont like that it looks cut off in the back but the overall car is nice..

I have a bad leg so the Z with its 6sp might not be the best thing for me so I was thinking of buying a C5 Vert but hear me out...There is a guy in KY. that makes a real nice tonneau/hardtop that u put on and turns the Vert into a hardtop..My buddy has it and I gotta tell you its a work of art..Much nicer than the Caravaggio POS top...

Then I could have both a H/T and Vert C5,add the vents and boom its a clone and I have the A4 which for my leg would be great...Or I can buy a C6 Coupe but I gotta tell ya that H/T C5 just has that look of a race car and I like that more...

Any help????
Old 07-26-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JS
Here is what I wanna know,interior room?
I am a big guy 6ft 2 and 385lbs,I know I know but never the less I have PLENTY of room in my GTO but really want a Vette...How would u say the interior room is in a C5 and C6,I ask this question becuase the GTO has tilt/tele and my rather large gut doesnt even come close to the steering wheel on my GTO.

Would I have enough room at my size in a Vette or am I just wishful thinking..I want and love the looks of a C5 Z06,I think its the nicest body lines of all newer vettes but the C6 coupe is growing on me,I just dont like that it looks cut off in the back but the overall car is nice..

I have a bad leg so the Z with its 6sp might not be the best thing for me so I was thinking of buying a C5 Vert but hear me out...There is a guy in KY. that makes a real nice tonneau/hardtop that u put on and turns the Vert into a hardtop..My buddy has it and I gotta tell you its a work of art..Much nicer than the Caravaggio POS top...

Then I could have both a H/T and Vert C5,add the vents and boom its a clone and I have the A4 which for my leg would be great...Or I can buy a C6 Coupe but I gotta tell ya that H/T C5 just has that look of a race car and I like that more...

Any help????

C5 has more leg room. More moving around room. Without a doubt.

I agree alot with what GLOFINZ said,...as they are both great cars,...and if you get the Z51, it'll be on par. The C6 has grown more on my in the past years but, I still love my FRC(Z06 roofline). So, in the end, they both perform,...it comes down to a taste thing.

Food for thought. Fuel pumps, in C6 vettes and 04 vettes, suck *****. I hate messing with them. C5's are WAY easier to swap pumps.

Headers, are easier to install on C6's. As they seem to have more room then a C5 for some reason. I dunno. I have driven multiple C6's, Z06's included,...and I will say that I will NEVER sell my FRC but, my next vette, will be a C6....(coilovers, Z06 fenders,...power...LS2**..cubic inches)....

In the end, it's your choice,...get what best suits you brother.

And big man,...you should drive both but, the C5 does have more room.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

6' 2" and 385lb is huge!! Sure you didn't mean 285?? Even at that, still big.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:01 AM
Launching!

I would say the C6 just because I would rather have a removable top. You can make a C6 perform like a Z06 easier than trying to cut the roof out of your car. (Although I have seen it done.)
Old 07-27-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For pure performance for the money, the C5 Z06 will be hard to beat. However, the C6 is simply nicer than the C5 Z06 and has a removable roof.

Joel: getting in and out of a vette with a bad leg may grow old, especially in parking lots or places where you can not fully open the door. Have you tried it?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
For pure performance for the money, the C5 Z06 will be hard to beat. However, the C6 is simply nicer than the C5 Z06 and has a removable roof.

Joel: getting in and out of a vette with a bad leg may grow old, especially in parking lots or places where you can not fully open the door. Have you tried it?
I have a torn ACl/MCL and micnicous(or however you spell it). It's do-able but,..you kinda just fall in place. lol.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bunk22
6' 2" and 385lb is huge!! Sure you didn't mean 285?? Even at that, still big.
I am 6'4" and 295. But you shouldn't equate weight with "fat". I have a big frame and muscles to go with it. Yes, I have a bit of a belly, but not what you'd think.

I had a problem in the Z06 because of the FRC. My head hit the crossbar in the roof. I have no head clearance problems in the C6. I can actually rest my head on the headrest, but I couldn't do this without scrunching my neck in the C5Z.

JS, your biggest challenge is going to be getting in and out of the car because it is so low to the ground. The C5 has a nice ledge in the doorframe that you can use to push yourself up, but the C6 doesn't have this. I have a hard time getting in and out of the C6 sometimes, expecially when I don't have enough room to open the door all the way. And be sure to get the telescopic steering wheel.

Last edited by CySevans; 07-28-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:22 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Drive both and then decide. They both have limitless potential and the C5 FRC looks awesome. The C6 coupe looks better than the C5 coupe but there is no C6 FRC and the FRC looks amazing. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

To me, the only part thats "more refined" on a c6 over a c5 is the look of the radio/ac controls. Other than that I was hard pressed to feel a more refined feeling between the two
Old 07-29-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by golfinz
To me, the only part thats "more refined" on a c6 over a c5 is the look of the radio/ac controls. Other than that I was hard pressed to feel a more refined feeling between the two
Have you ever owned one? If not, you don't have enough data with which to compare them. It isn't just about looks.

Quick Reply: C6 Z51, opr C5 ZO6?