two new bests for me... Old LT1 running low 9's....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default two new bests for me... Old LT1 running low 9's....

Well after thrashing with my crew chief and electrician till 2AM yesterday morning on a work night no less getting the new electrical parts on my car we drug the car up to Infineon for some time only passes tonight. Nice cool air but a vicious headwind/crosswind on the track. Oh well.... we swapped the distributor cap and rotor, rephased the motor for 17 degrees of timing, and put a whole new set of MSD race wires with trick billet looms to go above the headers instead of under.

Now onto the news. We said **** a motor pass cause we weren't going to have time. went straight to the 150 jets. I said if it misses i'll lift in case we didn't fix the problem. did my burnout and launched and this thing got ******* BUSY. The throttle response with the new rotor and cap was amazing. Up onto the wheelie bars and a 1.37 60 foot! A new best on these or any jets up to now. Didn't feel any miss on the high end at all... pick up my timeslip and it went:

9.69@137.3mph with a 1.37 60'....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Rfj-k7_GQ

Second pass we put the 150 on the other side of the plate and have the 2nd kit coming on at a lazy 1.8 seconds to be sure i'd be just getting in 2nd gear. We also swapped plugs in between and realized we had nipped the #6 plug ground strap. not super bad but you could tell it melted a bit. So we pulled another 3 degrees of timing on the 1st unit and another 3 more for the 2nd unit from what we had. So total timing on both stages was gonna be 11 degrees!!!!! crazy safe and crazy conservative but i don't wanna be burning plugs either. Plugged in 11.5:1 AFR on the 1st and 11.3:1 on the 2nd for a target. Do a good burnout, purge and get ready to stage. I shallow staged and the bulb flickered so i jumped forward another inch and got a solid full stage light. threw off my light timing but i was racing alone so who cares. stand on it and let go of the transbrake and OMG, it was ******* GNARLY. Front end sky high and i know she's up on the wheelie bars hard. I grab second and a moment later i hear the engine sound change when the 2nd unit comes on.... pull high gear and she's rolling out. No miss or crazy antics but it did feel a bit lazy seeing as how 300 angry horses were spraying into a motor that already makes 600 horse...

Pick up my timeslip and read the good news....

9.39@143 with get this a 1.33 60'!!!!!!!! leaving hard like a ************....

Also broke into the 5's in the 1/8th mile... 5.98@115.7mph....

heres the video. I couldn't be happier with it. After nipping a plug it brought us back to earth realizing this **** is no game at these power levels. one wrong move could be disastrous so we brought the timing way down where we knew we wouldn't damage it but we probably killed about 50-60hp from it with timing that conservative. we're gonna creep up on it 1 degree at a time until we find the sweet spot where she wants to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWJ8hvuyoIs
Old 08-06-2009, 06:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats man, looks like the hard work paid off. Also nice to know there is a lot more potential. What fuel are you running and what compression? You sure yanked out of the whole pretty damn hard! Better throw a chute on that thing.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

big congrats ! man thats moving knocking on the 8's
Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks guys. I run c16 from VP and my compression is right around 12:1..... yeah there's more in it with these same jets.... we wanted to be really conservative with the timing to start with and feed it back in slowly till we're where it wants to be timingwise...
Old 08-06-2009, 06:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice job. Car leaves hard.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:28 PM
9 Second Club

Nice work bro'!! Car looks great!!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks fellas..... gotta completely thank Madman and Theo Dec from Wizard Racing that followed madman's recommendations when he scaled my car....

i think my car would hook in an ice rink....
Old 08-14-2009, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

Nice job man. Way to represent the ol' LT1! Can't wait to see a 8 sec. pass.

Quick Reply: two new bests for me... Old LT1 running low 9's....