7.0 Index win, question inside.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 7.0 Index win, question inside.

Last night 7-31-10 I ran the 7.0 Index ($1,000 Guaranteed to winner).

Anyway, the car ran a 6.95-7.02 all night long and my lights were dead on when they needed to be. I was pretty late two rounds due to my mind just being thrown off. Luckily those two rounds my first opponent red lighted (My Uncle) and the other guy had a very bad light.

Third time trial I was pulling out of the staging lanes and I could have swore I heard a small tick like noise. It kinda came and went, so I went ahead and made a pass because the oil pressure looked good and didn't flutter a bit.

Well I get called up for first round and as I start heading up the very same tick/knock came back. I killed the car and pulled the valve covers thinking it may be a rocker. I was wrong, I jacked the car up and come to find out the BRAND NEW flexplate I put in two or three weeks ago had been cracked (hole to hole).

I missed first round because of this and instead of loading it up decided to keep running. So instead of loading up I go buyback and show up for second round since the knock/tick was coming and going.

I'm sure many of you think that was stupid, but this isn't a question about my decision of running or loading up.

I ended up winning the night with a cracked flexplate.

In the Semi-Finals I had to race a mustang who was throttle stopped. They had to or three different guys running this car in the 7.0 and 6.0 index. Well we waited about 20 minutes or so for them to come up and run me in the Semi's.

This round the timing system messed up and it gave me the win light. Well they were furious about the system messing up and wanted to re-run. They said that the guys in the tower told me IF I AGREE THEN WE CAN RERUN

I had to disagree, I told him that I felt I had won the race anyway. He had ran a handful of 7.07's-7.09's all night while I had ran 7.021 and 7.026 the previous two rounds and I had a .001 light to his .025.

So if I would have ran another 7.02 like I had been all night he would have had to run a 7.00 to have won.

So like I said, I disagreed on re-running because I was sure I had that round won and that was at least $400 in my pocket for runner-up. Not to mention that my car was already hurting with a cracked flexplate, I didn't want to take another round chance.

Here's the time slip against the guy in the Semi-Finals

Notice the 330ft and 1/8th mile was WAY off.

However after I had WON the finals the owner of the track told me he was "holding" my money because I have to re-run this guy. This is what REALLY upset me especially after I had just won the finals.

So we had a big discussion about the whole deal and the owner kept saying that according to the time slip the guy had a better package than me. Well I asked how he figured that?

All he said was that if you put a 7 instead of a 3 it shows ME running a 7.139 to the other guys 7.091.

You have got to be kidding me?!!? I have ran a 6.95 to 7.02 all night and then he pretty much says that I ran a 7.139 out of nowhere and this guy had a better package than me?!

Sorry this is so long guys, but what would YOU have done and your opinions?

Here's the rest of my slips through the day/night to PROVE I couldn't have ran a 7.139 like they're saying.

1st Time Trial

2nd Time Trial- Pulled 4 degrees of timing and leaned out the top end a little.

3rd Time Trial-

4th Time Trial- Left the car alone and figured I could play the other end.

Missed 1st Round

2nd Round- Raced my uncle and got lucky he went -.10 red

3rd Round- The car ran a little too fast so I capped off the exhaust and it slowed me down perfect 7.01-7.02, this was a holeshot win.

Semi-Finals

Finals
Old 08-01-2010, 10:30 PM
9 Second Club

My car number is 4167
Old 08-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be irate! It's not your fault their pos timin system messed up. If your win light came on and you didn't redlight then you won, no matter what the time slip says. Did you end up getting the money??
Old 08-01-2010, 10:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9cobra4
I would be irate! It's not your fault their pos timin system messed up. If your win light came on and you didn't redlight then you won, no matter what the time slip says. Did you end up getting the money??
I also would be pretty pissed, but there have been times that I have broke out by a tenth WHILE ON THE BRAKES that I know was a malfunction I didn't worry about it and went on with my business.

In my mind I was sure that I had the round won, and it would have been fine to do a re-run IF IT WAS RAN BEFORE THE FINAL ROUND.

Even though I didn't want to re-run, also because of the flexplate problem. I would not have had a problem with doing it if it were before the Finals.

Yes, I did end up getting the money. The track owner, Tech official, and track manager were talking and told me to go get my money.

What pissed me off was the track owner not listening to me and ASSUMING the other guy had a better package because of the timeslip.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

man you killing them on the tree. I like index racing and thats bs that they kept the money like that. It wasnt your fault the times got messed up. That sounds like our track and thats why everybody around here travel to go elsewhere.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:55 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by key4
man you killing them on the tree. I like index racing and thats bs that they kept the money like that. It wasnt your fault the times got messed up. That sounds like our track and thats why everybody around here travel to go elsewhere.
Thanks! I was off pretty good in 2nd and 3rd round, I guess the clanking noise from the flexplate was throwing me off. I had to turn the music up just enough to drown it out and went right bacl to my .00x's

The track posted a "new rule" to their site:

CompuLink timing system malfunctions
In the event of a timing system malfunction, the two drivers will be re-run. If a drivers decides to not re-run, they lose the round.

The Rules page has been updated

Thanks

This should have been a rule from the get go. The track should stand up and make the decision of a re-run; They did not.

They "asked" if I wanted to and I told the guy "Honestly, no I don't want to re-run because I feel that I had the round won, my .001 to your .025 already gave me at minimum .024 on you and I KNOW my car would have ran at slowest a 7.02"

There's more to it than that, as we were talking to the people the tower had called up the 7.0 finalist.

If the track owner/manager would have came down or told me "I have to make this re-run before the next round." then so be it. I would not have had any problems in the world re-running the guy.

The other guy seemed like a cool guy and I know I've seen him run in Super Pro with me a couple time, but at this point I think the track was at fault more than myself.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:33 AM
7 Second Club

This is a touchy deal. I would have done the re-run just to be a good sportsman, however if I was faced with the broken parts and every run could be the end of the night if it got worse, I might re-think. The problem I see with the slip is they have no idea how far in the "time" is. A 3.139 might be a 7.039 while the 3.091 might be a 6.991 since he took the stripe first and then you'd win via breakout.
FYI, if it isn't a clear cut deal, most tracks I've been to would have re-run it.

Congrats on the win, nice lights!

Derek
Old 08-02-2010, 12:53 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, touchy deal for sure. I would have re-run the semi finals.

Congrats on the win.

Coach
Old 08-02-2010, 02:19 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Villain281H
This is a touchy deal. I would have done the re-run just to be a good sportsman, however if I was faced with the broken parts and every run could be the end of the night if it got worse, I might re-think. The problem I see with the slip is they have no idea how far in the "time" is. A 3.139 might be a 7.039 while the 3.091 might be a 6.991 since he took the stripe first and then you'd win via breakout.
FYI, if it isn't a clear cut deal, most tracks I've been to would have re-run it.

Congrats on the win, nice lights!

Derek
This is the same thing me a couple buddies were discussing this morning about how it would make more since that I ran a 7.03 to his 6.99. But you don't really know.

I do know however; that my car did not run a 7.139 out of nowhere.

I fully agree that we should have re-run BEFORE I made the pass in the Finals. This is where the track should have jumped in and said "Hey, you need to re-run or pack up." NOT ask me if I want to.

Because of course I don't really want to re-run after winning the round and also having a broke flexplate and taking the extra chance.

I'm sure if his win light came on that they would not want to re-run and I would have.

And your also correct about most tracks making you re-run. I was not expecting to have a choice, but once I made the pass in the finals the deal should be done. I should not have to re-run the guy after my last pass was made.

Not only would I have to re-run the guy from the Semis, but then come back and run the Finals again?

Thanks for the congrats though.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:28 PM
9 Second Club

If you look at both of these slips closely, then it really shows that I COULD POSSIBLY have ran a 7.03

This is what I see the difference in from the Semis and Finals

60ft- Was .005 slower in the semis than finals

330ft- IF there is suppose to be a (4) in front of the .648 then it "shows" me to be exactly a tenth off according to the timers

So if it was a tenth off then that would have put me at a 4.548 which makes me .008 slower at the 330ft; also makes more sense.

1/8th- showed me to be a whole tenth off also, 7.139 which could have been a 7.039 since my MPH matches previous passes.

So in all.

If you take the difference from my final round and the Semi's it shows the timers showed me running EXACTLY a tenth slower.

But like stated, you can really only assume. To me it makes more sense.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:15 PM
9 Second Club

I don't dude, I think you made the most educated decision considering the circumstances. Like Derek said, your car was hurt and every run might have been your last. Now if it was just a pride thing or your car was 100% then the re-run would have been the stand up thing to do IF there was no rule. I look at it like this, you made the right decision at the time, you got a new rule added so if this comes up again there is clear cut direction and last but not least you pocketed a grand. Congrats and keep up the good work!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Technically you broke out less lol! Congrats on the win.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:33 PM
9 Second Club

Haha thanks. I felt really bad for the past two days that I didn't re-run the guy, even though I felt that I really won the round anyway.

Normally I would be a good sportsman and re-run him without a doubt, but with the circumstances of my car I really didn't want to chance it.

Now on to the next weekend to run Super Pro!

Quick Reply: 7.0 Index win, question inside.