tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire pressure

i have a 98 z28 m6 with 4.11 and i need some advice on launching it with street tires. can i lower the pressure to help stop the spinning. if so how low thanks
Old 03-06-2011, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't have much luck with street tires once I put 4.10's my car. However, I'd try lowering them to 20 and see how it acts. My best advice is not to do a burnout on street tires because it will only make matters worse. On street tires, I found I had to sort of bog the car out of the hole in order to get it to hook with a M6.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

dont want to stop the spinning compltely if your still runnin g the stock 10 bolt or thatcould be the end of it. just my .02
Old 03-06-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

I had a buddy that could get almost any street tire to hook on his car, the way he did was put the car in 2nd and pop the clutch, and boil the fk outta em. They were hot, and he would come outta the hole dumping it at 3500 spinning about 10 ft and throwing it in 2nd and it worked very well for him......He's a gear bangin sob......GL, personally I would just put a nitto on it...not to agressive, but have been proven to work...
Old 03-07-2011, 08:51 AM
10 Second Club

If you have a rearend I'd try a Nitto but if you're still on the stock 10 bolt I'd stay away from drag radials. A lot of people have had luck on the stock rearend but I believe those are automatic cars.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
If you have a rearend I'd try a Nitto but if you're still on the stock 10 bolt I'd stay away from drag radials. A lot of people have had luck on the stock rearend but I believe those are automatic cars.
We all know the stock 10 bolt is weak but I have stuck this rule and it has worked 90% of the time. If you are racing on the street use a slick or a drag radial, the street is not sticky enough to put enough pressure to break the 10 bolt. On the track use drag radials only since they will be your fusible link to give way instead of hooking hard and breaking your rear. Now if the street is prepped then track rules apply.

I see you are an ASEP graduate. I graduated in '99 down here.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
We all know the stock 10 bolt is weak but I have stuck this rule and it has worked 90% of the time. If you are racing on the street use a slick or a drag radial, the street is not sticky enough to put enough pressure to break the 10 bolt. On the track use drag radials only since they will be your fusible link to give way instead of hooking hard and breaking your rear. Now if the street is prepped then track rules apply.

I see you are an ASEP graduate. I graduated in '99 down here.
Cool deal! I don't run into many ASEP grads anymore because usually everyone goes to UTI or something along those lines. I think I was the 10% of your rule because when my car was about a year old I broke the rearend shifting into 2nd on the street on Nittos. I had the Nittos for 3 days lol! I rebuilt the rearend under warranty and ended up trading the car in on the one I have now. The car I have now has an A4 and I haven't had any issues with drag radials on the stock rearend.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

im saving for a rear end i just wanted to know what other people do with there street tires. i ride the clutch out at around 1800 and when i think it grips i kick it. ill lower my pressure to around 20-25 next time and see how that works. but if i start off spinning ill smokem down the track but if i can get a ok launch i still spinning but average 8.5s

Quick Reply: tire pressure