GPS timed 1/4 times...are they reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS timed 1/4 times...are they reliable?

I have been wanting to get 1/4 mile times and HP numbers on my car, but there are no tracks within 200 miles of where I live. There is 1 1/8 track but it is still quite a haul away.

So I have been looking at GPS timers on the Driod. The reviews say they are accurate, I am looking for some first hand opinions here though. Of the free ones I have downloaded: Ulysse Speedometer and DinoDyno, has anyone ever used these? Or would be willing to test and compair to your times posted in the past?

Ulysse Speedometer uses GPS to get its numbers while DinoDyno uses the accelerometer in the phone to get its. I would imagine GPS would be more reliable of a number seeing how the accelerometer might be whacked out in some phones. But on the other hand, Dino calls for all kinds of info on the car such as weight, drag ect.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Launching!

...and Dino supposedly give HP and Torque figures too.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-DFbJQbeSY

I know this is an App Store only app, but it should give you an idea of how accurate these apps can really be. I am inclined to believe that similar apps on the Android Market *may not be as accurate, given the sophistication of the accelerometer/gyroscope(iPhone 4 and up) in the iPhone. But, I have no doubt that even the Dynolicious equivalent apps on the Android Market will provide surprisingly accurate results. Give it a shot! What's there to lose

Skip to 4:30 in the video if you want to skip the BS and see results!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:29 AM
Launching!

I kinda want to stay away from accelerometer Apps, my phone has been through he'll in its short life...totally submerged in water and I work in a weld shop so metal always finds its way inside.

Edit: especially if I buy one lol
Old 03-01-2012, 02:41 AM
TECH Regular

That doesn't sound good at all haha. Well it looks like you only have one option... find a remote road where there is never police, measure out a 1/4 mile, spray paint a start and finish line, have a friend flag you down, and have a friend at the finish line with a stopwatch
Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 AM
Launching!

Haha I have actually thought about that! There are so many dead, two lane blacktops out here I would have many to choose from. Although the only problem I see running into with that idea, most of my friends couldn't care less about how fast my car is...probly have to make the wife do it lol.

Still gonna try the apps just to see if they are any good, but to see if its even close to a real measurement I would have to get a stopwatch time on the car to compair.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Haha, it's a last resort but hey... it works lol!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

I can't speak to the Apps but we use and sell the GPS based Gtech meters and they are freaking dead on
Old 03-01-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Stay away from G Tech's...
Old 03-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

If you do find one that cost money you can always download it from 4shared.com Just search the app name followed by APK.

I use the android speedometer for the HUD display on road trips but have not tried the 1/4 mile apps. (Yet)
Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Launching!

^^^ same here. I have messed around with the HUD onmy way to work in the DD and it seemed very accurate. It seems these apps aren't that popular with owners of F-bodies, as almost all the reviews in the app store are from VWs, Suburus and the like. And even then they are hit and miss. Some say good while others say it doesn't work at all. I think one guy said the app said his car had 500hp at 8k rpm, where he absolutely knew he did not...

One guy used it on his go-kart and he got a 300hp rating lol

Quick Reply: GPS timed 1/4 times...are they reliable?