First timer results. Super Summit "fun run"

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 07:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First timer results. Super Summit "fun run"

Hi.

Attended the Super Summit show in Norwalk last weekend. I have never taken any of my F-Bodys down the track. I have an '00 WS6, A4, 85,000 miles. Mail order tune by Frost. BBK long tubes, ORY, SLP Loudmouth. Smog pump and EGR deleted. Stock springs and shocks, poly susp bushings. K&N. Taylor 10.4mm race wires (just for the beauty of them under the hood) with NGK TR55 plugs. Solid engine mounts (solely to stop the passenger header to floorboard contact). Firestone Indy Wide Ovals. I think that covers any mods.

Now I did this for the fun, but going into it knowing that these cars completely stock run mid-13s (or better) had me, of course, thinking I would run around that...should be faster with the few mods, but my complete lack of experience wiping out any gains.

At least I was consistent. 6 passes, all within .06 of each other. Reaction times .187 - .380. 60' times 2.13 - 2.17. Best ET of 14.023 @ 98.72mph, with a 2.137 60' and a .187 RT. Was my first ever pass down a track, and the best of 6. Guessing as the car (or tires) heated up, I lost a bit...but again, only .06 difference from best to worst, 14.087 was the worst.

Getting to the track is difficult with work and real life, but I had a blast, regardless of the slow times. I WILL be back one of these Wednesdays. I am looking for interpretations of my trap speed/ET/60'. I do not understand the correlation, like "he ran X 60' on his setup, should be an X ET with good conditions", ya know?

Here's the fine print. Being "fun", I took my 90 pound son down the track with me, so his weight, plus a helmet for him. I didn't think about fuel level, had 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank. And probably the worst (that I didn't think of until after leaving the track) was that I run 35 psi around town. I didn't think of dropping them 10-15 pounds for the track, and while I wasn't too sideways off the line, there was certainly wheelspin. "Launching" on the stock converter, I found the *** end would start going sideways around 1300rpm. So I just kept it off of idle around 1,000, then basically mashed the gas and off the brake at the same time...probably not ideal on street tires with what was probably 40+ psi after short burnouts. I couldn't avoid the water box, unfortunately, it was all the way across both lanes.

I looked up the DA for the day (a term I've never heard of), and it was allegedly 2300 according to the calculator I found online.

Correcting the fuel level, tire psi, and not having my son in the car, can y'all offer any input on what to expect once I return to the track? Was my car really that bad because of these couple of things? Better suggestion on launching the car?

Thanks for your time!

EDIT - The track was "prepped for DOT tires", assuming that meant not sprayed.

Last edited by Fiveliterbtr; 06-10-2016 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Forgot some info
Old 06-10-2016, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Even with all that in mind that trap speed is way low. I'd expect at least 106....at least! Even your ET is low even considering your 60ft. Something is off here
Old 06-10-2016, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Did you lift off the gas on these 6 runs at all ?
What was your 1/8 et and trap ?
I agree with HCI2000SS something is way off.
What track was this? Post a couple time slips if ya could.

Even with that poor 60' and a da of 2300 ft. I would think you should be around 13.3 - 13.5 @ 106 - 108 mph
Old 06-10-2016, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Even with all that in mind that trap speed is way low. I'd expect at least 106....at least! Even your ET is low even considering your 60ft. Something is off here
Another tidbit of info...something I didn't think of until now. Once in a blue moon (no rhyme or reason), like when getting on the highway, I'll mash the gas, the car downshifts, rpms increase, but it doesn't move. Weird stuff. It is, of course, impossible to not notice when that happens, makes me very sad. Wondering if there's a trans issue holding it back? I obviously didn't experience that on the track, but if there's something subtly going on...
I've been wanting to do a stall myself once the funds are there, but thinking a pro rebuild may be needed as well. No engine lights or trans codes. Fairly fresh fluid.

Sucks knowing what it CAN do, but didn't do it, lol.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Did you lift off the gas on these 6 runs at all ?
What was your 1/8 et and trap ?
I agree with HCI2000SS something is way off.
What track was this? Post a couple time slips if ya could.

Even with that poor 60' and a da of 2300 ft. I would think you should be around 13.3 - 13.5 @ 106 - 108 mph
Did not lift. Made sure my floormat was out of the way also, lol. I will post some timeslips, please hold.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like you may have found your problem. Slipping transmission could absolutely be the culprit
Old 06-10-2016, 08:38 AM
Teching In

#317, Summit Motorsports Park, Norwalk, Ohio

Would a trans shop be able to diagnose a slip that's undetectable by my daily driving? Or with the miles and description of the rare problem on the road, should I just bite the bullet and get it done?

Thanks folks.
Attached Thumbnails First timer results. Super Summit "fun run"-timeslips.jpg   First timer results. Super Summit "fun run"-timeslips2.jpg  
Old 06-10-2016, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes I'd definitely get this thing to a shop, and have them take a look. I think 98Cayenne is right...based on what you've said, and a damaged trans would explain a lot of this
Old 06-10-2016, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Just something to compare to....
When I was long tubes, tune, nt555r with 2.73's and stock converter. (Stock converter+ 2.73's= horrific 1/4 combo lol)
D.A......1600 ft.
60'........2.06
1/8.......8.7@84 mph
1/4.......13.2@107 mph

Still not the best times but same setup as you and I was trapping 9 mph faster and et .8 faster in roughly the same weather.

I would absolutely get that transmission looked at.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick input. Was kinda hoping that y'all would tell me I'd gain a full second without the kid, less tire psi, and less fuel, lol. Wishful thinking. I will probably just pull the trans myself this winter and research local builders. Sigh. Sad. Need more car part money, lol.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fiveliterbtr
Thanks for the quick input. Was kinda hoping that y'all would tell me I'd gain a full second without the kid, less tire psi, and less fuel, lol. Wishful thinking. I will probably just pull the trans myself this winter and research local builders. Sigh. Sad. Need more car part money, lol.
In general for every 100 lbs. of weight reduction, you gain a tenth. And for every 10 hp you add you gain a tenth. So 100 hp=1 second
That's just some rough math
Old 06-10-2016, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

You could also just do a quick pan drop and filter change and see what's laying on the bottom of the pan.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
In general for every 100 lbs. of weight reduction, you gain a tenth. And for every 10 hp you add you gain a tenth. So 100 hp=1 second
That's just some rough math
Thanks much. Just breaking that 14 sec number would've had me feeling much better, even tho it's still slow. Basically didn't know how much the lack of experience and added weight/high tire psi contributed to my poor ETs and trap speeds. Not much, by the sound of it.

How are those reaction times for my first time?

Dropping the pan sounds like a plan soon. I've had the car for 6 yrs and haven't done it. I did flush the fluid shortly after I bought it years ago, but have only put 20,000 mile on it in those years.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Everything adds up tho...... So say your kid was not in the car, there is a tenth right there, you can remove the spare tire and jack which is heavy, a gallon of gas weighs about 7 lbs so if you go race with a 1/4 tank as opposed to 3/4 there is 10 gallons approximately 70 lbs.
Kid.....100 lbs.
Gas.....70 lbs.
Spare and jack....50+ lbs
Right there is 220 lbs. of unnecessary weight that would of got ya a 13 second slip.

As far as your 60' .... It's not great but considering you are on street tires, (which I consider to be a waste of time at the track), it could be worse.

Generally for every tenth you knock off your 60' you will gain 2 tenths in the quarter. So even if you pulled a 2.00 60' that would of knocked off 1.5 tenths off your 60' in turn 3 tenths off your 1/4.

With all that being said if you did not have a bunk transmission....a little improvement in your 60' puts ya at 13.7. A little weight reduction that I mentioned above could very well put ya at 13.5.

I would get that transmission squared away and I think you will be quite surprised

Edit: I read it as you asking about your 60' times, now I see you were asking about reaction times.
Reaction times have zero impact on your quarter mile time. You could of had a 3 min 27 second reaction time lol and you would still of had a 14 second slip
Old 06-10-2016, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah, I know RT doesn't have a thing to do with ET, speed, etc. I was solely curious as to how they were compared to the average local track guys. Practice makes perfect, just wondering how my first time out was in that aspect. Terrible? Decent for never doing it before? Sorry for not clarifying.

I appreciate the rest of the info. Stupid transmission. Lol. Might still take it out one of these cooler evenings with the custom weight reduction package prior to trans repairs...and maybe finish it off so I have to fix it, hahaa

Quick Reply: First timer results. Super Summit "fun run"