Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

distributor with ls1!!!!! anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distributor with ls1!!!!! anyone?

it's been a while since i've been on but i've been looking into a turbo ls1 set up for a long time but lookin for a cheap but efficient way to build the set up and make the power. Gm performance has a distributor conversion kit for ls1's which would also acompany a carbuurator. I'm lookin to see if any has pics of there motors with this set-up as well as, if anyone's views on wether this combo is worth it or not. I'd like to go blow through turbo set-up with this combo but have only seen this set-up once in real life and the car i've seen it on was on motor at the time! Here is an article through gm on the kit! Thyanks Again!!
-Frank
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG
Old 10-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Teching In

i guess my first question should be if anyone has even seen a distributed ls1 before!
thanks!
-Frank
Old 10-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Alot of the turbo guys are running a belt driven distributor, but they're not running a blow thru carb setup like you are talking about.

Chris Urchako (sorry chris if the spelling is wrong!) is the only person I know of running a blow thru carb setup on an lsx. He's a sponsor on yellowbullet.com, you may want to get ahold of him I am sure he can give you better feedback then you're gonna get on here about what you want to do.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:40 PM
12 Second Club

at the Shootout I saw quite a few cars with distributors...

what are the pros/cons of going to that setup?

Chad
Old 10-17-2008, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by goodolboy32
it's been a while since i've been on but i've been looking into a turbo ls1 set up for a long time but lookin for a cheap but efficient way to build the set up and make the power. Gm performance has a distributor conversion kit for ls1's which would also acompany a carbuurator. I'm lookin to see if any has pics of there motors with this set-up as well as, if anyone's views on wether this combo is worth it or not. I'd like to go blow through turbo set-up with this combo but have only seen this set-up once in real life and the car i've seen it on was on motor at the time! Here is an article through gm on the kit! Thyanks Again!!
-Frank
If you want to run a carb and go with boost your best option will be to go with the msd 6010 ignition box. It has a lot of built in features like a rev limiter, 2 step rev limiter, boost retard, nitrous retard, vacuum advance and it is fully tunable with a computer. It is also cheaper and a cleaner install than the distributor.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Race your car!

Actually, a Digital 7 would be a WAY better option then a 6010 box. And it could easily be done, just need to put the flying magnet trigger on the front of the motor, then you can run anything you want.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Are you sure a digital 7 is compatable with a coil on plug ignition? To run the digital 7 and a flying magnet trigger will probably cost even more than the distributor.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Race your car!

If the guy wants to run the distributor, then it will work with no problems, with the distributor it's gonna have a single coil anyway.

I know that you can run a flying magnet with a BS3 system, and the digital 7 BS3 are designed by the same guy and alot of the same type of stuff works.

With a carb, and a distributor a digital 7 is probably the best way to go. If you want to stock with fuel injection and coil on plug, then I would run a BS3.

I think you can run a BS3 without the fueling and with a distributor too, but if the car's gonna have a carb I'd go the digital 7 route because it will proabbly be cheaper at that point.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

msd 6010-$370

msd flying magnet crank trigger-$300
msd blaster coil-$45
msd billet distributor-$250
msd digital 7-$717
plug wires-$?
equipment to run the distributor-$$?

Not trying to argue but it doesn't seem cheaper to me.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Race your car!

Maybe it wouldn't be cheaper, but with a flying magnet, you can run any ignition system you want you aren't limited to systems that will pick up the stock crank trigger.

I know that MSD makes a converter box, but I heard that is a nightmare.

All of this stuff that I'm talking about is for setups that are gonna make 1000+ hp with FI, if you're looking at making less then that or running n/a, then a stock computer is adequate, as is the ignition system.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

Oh, I was only going off his first post, but I do agree that if you are going to go high end you will have to go high end $$$.
Originally Posted by goodolboy32
-Frank

Quick Reply: distributor with ls1!!!!! anyone?